BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 6:10:43 AM EDT
Which are you running in your AR's ?

Is one better than the other ?
Does it really matter ?
Accuracy benefits ? ?
Are there potential extraction issues in using RG with .223 match chambers for example ? ? ? ?

Discuss !!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Which are you running in your AR's ?

Is one better than the other ?

Yes, both are better than the other.  You have to specify a particular use.

Does it really matter ?

See above

Accuracy benefits ?

Some 'very tight' .223 custom chambers are used in 'target' rifles

Are there potential extraction issues in using RG with .223 match chambers for example ? ? ? ?

Oh, yes! And in 5.56mm chambers too.

(As we are replacing the more efficient gas system in clearing away the empty case)

+RG is 5.56mm, therefore not loaded to commercial .223 pressures!

Discuss !!

If all you are doing is plinking on ranges and not competing. (Which most here on this forum do)

I would challenge you to notice the difference (apart from the odd RG case sticking )

If you have a particular use in mind, for the rifle in question, then better advice can be given........

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:03:20 AM EDT
[#2]
So I'd assume then, for competition work (SR/Highpower)  using handloaded ammunition, a tighter .223 chamber is to be preferred over a rifle used mainly for casual ETR 'plinking' where a 5.56 chamber would suffice ?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#3]
The 'tighter' you make the chamber, the more you loose 'flexability' in the type of ammunition you can fire.

You do not need a match chamber for SR, the scoring area is around 2-3moa!

If you want to get a match chamber for highpower then great, but at first (if at all) you wouldn't notice the difference. Moreover, as above you would probably have more extraction problems as the chamber got dirty and the pressure spiked.

Get out and shoot what you have, then you would know if you needed to change a chamber dimensions to match a particular load or cartridge. Very unlikely for a SR class Highpower rifle!

I don't own an AR with a match chamber!

If you are looking for a first gun, I would go for 5.56mm as it gives you the best pressure option.
There are variations to 5.56mm, but I am not going into that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:26:20 AM EDT
[#4]
My now departed Speedmaster had a "match" .223 chamber.

After twenty rounds of RG it was almost necessary to kick it open as it heated up.

That said I'll probably order the same again and accept its only for reloads

Edit to add: Having read the above I might well not bother

Richard
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are hand loading ammunition and know what you are doing you will probably not be able to tell the difference between a 5.56mm NATO chamber and a .223 Match chamber as you will undoubtedly tune your ammunition to the characteristics of your rifle.  If your going to purchase all your ammunition then .223 Federal Gold Medal Match will probably perform better in a .223 Match chamber than a 5.56mm NATO chamber but you’ll probably not notice the difference, unless your name is David Tubb.  For SR and Highpower, if using a straight pull AR15 clone, you want a chamber and ammunition combination that is going to give you reasonably effortless extraction; especially important on the rapid fire stages.  RG extracts well from some rifles and not so well in others.  Most regular competitors on the SR circuit, if using RG, will only use RG out to 300 yards and then switch to hand loads or commercial for the longer distances.  If your rifle is being built from scratch it takes no longer to use a .223 Match reamer than it does a 5.56mm NATO reamer on an unchambered barrel blank.  Choice is yours.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#6]
"Military M16s have slightly more headspace and have a longer throat area, compared to the SAAMI .223 chamber spec, which was originally designed for bolt-action rifles.  Commercial SAAMI-specification .223 chambers have a much shorter throat or leade and less freebore than the military chamber.  Shooting 5.56 Mil-Spec ammo in a SAAMI-specification chamber can increase pressure dramatically, up to an additional 15,000 psi or more."

Not good for straight pulls............
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you simplify this further mate.

For some ETR, foxing and highpower what chamber do I need

Cheers

Rich
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 5.56mm for all those!

Especially if you are going to reload on the 650, not bench rest quality
(But far far better than surplus or commercial)
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
"Military M16s have slightly more headspace and have a longer throat area, compared to the SAAMI .223 chamber spec, which was originally designed for bolt-action rifles.  Commercial SAAMI-specification .223 chambers have a much shorter throat or leade and less freebore than the military chamber.  Shooting 5.56 Mil-Spec ammo in a SAAMI-specification chamber can increase pressure dramatically, up to an additional 15,000 psi or more."

Not good for straight pulls............

My Rem700 doesnt! Its throat is 'rather generous' - I've nicknamed it Linda Lovelace
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The fact that RG cases are rather thick and therefore don't contract sufficiently after they've been fired and cooled. MEN cases have the same problem and so do the older Lapua .223 brass.
A good chamber will digest all of these but there is always a payoff.
Mark

Yep, dubious about the pressurve curve bit though. The yanks are finding that in a semi, but not sure that is applicable to our straight pulls. RG is also quite rough and 'unfinished' for want of a better word, which doesn't help against a rough chamber. Hence the polishing bit
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I could do with my M4gery sorted to handle 5.56...... It's chambered for .223 at the minute and I have nearly 500 RG that I want to play with..... ....... It seems to have been consigned to the back of the cabinet really and tends only to go up to the farm when I have some PRVI shite to push through it....

Anyone game?  

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Superb............. Oh, and congratulations mate....
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have 5.56mm for all those!

Especially if you are going to reload on the 650, not bench rest quality
(But far far better than surplus or commercial)

Thats good enough for me

So far I'm looking at:

Recce Carbine, A2 stock, flat top upper, 1/7 twist & Leupold 4-14x50 LRT

Just the forend arrangement to decide on and some iron sights and I'm sorted.

Richard

- Still no joy with the 650
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:57:33 PM EDT
[#18]
He needs to donate his 650 to me, I am creating a rest home for 650's!

Or go to the 18" barrel, streetfighters goes very well.

+1 on the Larue, it has the edge over DD I think
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top