Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 5:42:23 PM EDT
I was looking at the photos of all the weapons you guys have over there in the UK. Some AR's look like a .22 conversion and others look 5.56. If you could could you give me a quick rundown on what you guys can actually have over there? Cheers! And by the way im drinking a Guinness in "Y'alls" honor! Later!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By John Parker:
I was looking at the photos of all the weapons you guys have over there in the UK. Some AR's look like a .22 conversion and others look 5.56. If you could could you give me a quick rundown on what you guys can actually have over there? Cheers! And by the way im drinking a Guinness in "Y'alls" honor! Later!

Single shot only...No semi-auto!!!

However...I'll not chime in here....The lads will explain in further detail...

Welcome....Guinness Man

Wally
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#2]

OK, quick pocket version of our laws.

On the general licences without special authority (nearly impossible to get) we can ask for and have;

Any rim-fire or centre-fire firearm with a barrel of no less than 12" and an overall length of no less than 24", and not being a self-loading rifle (Section 1)

Any .22 rimfire rifle meeting the dimensions above can be self-loading (Section 1)

Shot guns with a short barrel (single or double guns) or long barrelled shotguns (pump/semi) with a magazine holding more than 2 rounds (Section 1)

Black powder rifles (barrel 12"+, OAL 24"+) and muzzle-loading pistols are also allowed under Section 1.

any long barrelled shotgun with a magazine holding not more than 2 rounds, or single/double barrelled versions. (Section 2)

We have no other restrictions on mag capacity, pistol grips, bayonet lugs, etc. Sound moderators are fairly easy to get and muzzle breaks/flash hiders etc are there for the taking.

There are various other sections that will allow pistols for hunting despatch, or historic purposes, but they aren't very common, and are about as much use to the general shooter as a choclate fireguard.

We need to get permission to buy/acquire a firearm (Sect 1 only) by type (rifle/sound moderator/muzzle loading pistol/spare barrel) and by calibre, and shotguns (Sect 2 only) we only have to tell the authorities after we have bought them.

Hope this helps.

Matt
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
So all of the actual 5.55/.223 AR's have the gas tube removed or something like that? One shot and pull the charging handle?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:17:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:02:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Thinking about it, rumour has it that you can go down the local pub, any pub apparently, and pick up a handgun, MAC-10, or deadly assault rifle, with ease. I must just drink in the more salubrious establishments.

ETA: correct bad speeling
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

On the general licences without special authority (nearly impossible to get) we can ask for and have;

Any rim-fire or centre-fire firearm with a barrel of no less than 12" and an overall length of no less than 24", and not being a self-loading rifle (Section 1)

Any .22 rimfire rifle meeting the dimensions above can be self-loading (Section 1)

Shot guns with a short barrel (single or double guns) or long barrelled shotguns (pump/semi) with a magazine holding more than 2 rounds (Section 1)

Black powder rifles (barrel 12"+, OAL 24"+) and muzzle-loading pistols are also allowed under Section 1.

any long barrelled shotgun with a magazine holding not more than 2 rounds, or single/double barrelled versions. (Section 2)

We have no other restrictions on mag capacity, pistol grips, bayonet lugs, etc. Sound moderators are fairly easy to get and muzzle breaks/flash hiders etc are there for the taking.

There are various other sections that will allow pistols for hunting despatch, or historic purposes, but they aren't very common, and are about as much use to the general shooter as a choclate fireguard.

We need to get permission to buy/acquire a firearm (Sect 1 only) by type (rifle/sound moderator/muzzle loading pistol/spare barrel) and by calibre, and shotguns (Sect 2 only) we only have to tell the authorities after we have bought them.

Hope this helps.

Matt

I just found out that my next duty station (after a year in Iraq) will be RAF Mildenhall, there in the UK.  I am trying to figure out what guns to bring with me, that will be easy to register (I have to follow the UK rules and register them all).  I just bought a .50BMG today, will that be a problem to bring over (its bolt action, not semi).  I figure a shotgun, the .50 and a 10/22, maybe a remington model 700 and that should do it for the two to three years I will be there.  I read that membership in a rifle club is required to get my guns from the armory on base, are there any good ones in the Cambridge area I could join ahead of time to get a jump on things?  I have plenty of time to figure it all out, since I won't be arriving until the fall of next year.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope this helps.

Matt

I just found out that my next duty station (after a year in Iraq) will be RAF Mildenhall, there in the UK.  I am trying to figure out what guns to bring with me, that will be easy to register (I have to follow the UK rules and register them all).  I just bought a .50BMG today, will that be a problem to bring over (its bolt action, not semi).  I figure a shotgun, the .50 and a 10/22, maybe a remington model 700 and that should do it for the two to three years I will be there.  I read that membership in a rifle club is required to get my guns from the armory on base, are there any good ones in the Cambridge area I could join ahead of time to get a jump on things?  I have plenty of time to figure it all out, since I won't be arriving until the fall of next year.  

Chairborne

Mildenhall is near one of the largest field firing ranges in the country (STANTA). 50BMG can easily be accommodated. All your rifles and your shotgun should be OK in the UK (as long as the shot gun is not too short), and there are clubs in the local area that will see you right.

If you need any more specific help just ask, it's too late tonight for me to go into much detail.

Matt

ps: are you with 100th Airbourne Refueling Wing (ARW), or 352nd Special Operations Group?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Mildenhall is near one of the largest field firing ranges in the country (STANTA). 50BMG can easily be accommodated. All your rifles and your shotgun should be OK in the UK (as long as the shot gun is not too short), and there are clubs in the local area that will see you right.

If you need any more specific help just ask, it's too late tonight for me to go into much detail.

Matt

ps: are you with 100th Airbourne Refueling Wing (ARW), or 352nd Special Operations Group?

That's great news!  Glad to hear I will be able to air the .50 out over there.  How is ammo availability and cost?  The shotgun has an 18" barrel, which means I have to register it as a rifle, right?  That part confuses me the most (the whole shotgun capacity/length thing).  It is a pump action winchester 1300 defender btw.  I'll pick your brain more later, after you've had some sleep.

As to my organization over there, neither.   I'll be working for AMC, on the transient aircraft that come through from time to time.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Chairborne

Check out these guys, they're a club catering for large calibre rifles here in the UK , .338, .50, Cheytec, etc

I'm shooting with them this Saturday at Sennybridge (Wales) with targets up to 1300m.

www.fcsa.co.uk/

Cheers
Steven
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The shotgun has an 18" barrel, which means I have to register it as a rifle, right?  That part confuses me the most (the whole shotgun capacity/length thing).  It is a pump action winchester 1300 defender btw.  

It's a 'No' for the shotty. Pump/semi must have 24" barrel & min 40" (I think!) overall length.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

That's great news!  Glad to hear I will be able to air the .50 out over there.  How is ammo availability and cost?  The shotgun has an 18" barrel, which means I have to register it as a rifle, right?  That part confuses me the most (the whole shotgun capacity/length thing).  It is a pump action winchester 1300 defender btw.  I'll pick your brain more later, after you've had some sleep.

As to my organization over there, neither.   I'll be working for AMC, on the transient aircraft that come through from time to time.  

What target-hunter said.
Only barrels less than 24" on single and double barreled shotguns, not being pump or semi-auto. Semi-auto and pumps classed as rifles can have more than 2 rounds in the magazine but must have a barrel over 24".
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

What target-hunter said.
Only barrels less than 24" on single and double barreled shotguns, not being pump or semi-auto. Semi-auto and pumps classed as rifles can have more than 2 rounds in the magazine but must have a barrel over 24".

So if I put a 24" barrel on it it will be legal (in its current 8 round configuration)?  You are allowed less than 24" barrels but they must be break action single or doubles?  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Mildenhall???
He'll practically be a neighbour

Here's a pic of some of your future buddies at Stanta
www.markbradley.talktalk.net/jse_Scan10342.jpg

And here's another pic of someone on this board (cough) keeping up the best traditions of the HRA's World Tour (namely blagging a free go on some of the cool stuff)
www.markbradley.talktalk.net/jse_Scan10343.jpg

Very nice, but where's the Mark 19?  

Now THATs a gun.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

So if I put a 24" barrel on it it will be legal (in its current 8 round configuration)?  You are allowed less than 24" barrels but they must be break action single or doubles?  

Correctamundo!

These are classed as firearms and the others (long barrelled SGs or low capacity semi/pumps) are classed as shgotguns. Each class is licenced differently.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correctamundo!

These are classed as firearms and the others (long barrelled SGs or low capacity semi/pumps) are classed as shgotguns. Each class is licenced differently.

Gotcha!  One more weird question, if I buy a dedicated .22lr barrel for one of my ARs (from compass lake engineering or the like) and use my M261 kit to shoot semi auto .22 through it, is that legal?  I know the single shot ARs are legal, but how "permanent" does the single shot conversion have to be?  I guess I would need a new bbl without the gas port drilled for one of them too?  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#18]
The gas port will kill it as an idea.

If you brought it over with a semi auto .22LR upper then it would be OK

HTH

Rich
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HTH

Rich

No it wouldn't technically, because once is, always is. Unfortunately

But if it was never previously registered as a 5.56 then it would be an "initial" 22LR semi, right?  I would import it in that configuration as a "new" rifle.  I don't mean to confuse the two rifle types, I was talking about bringing one AR with a .22LR upper (only) in normal semi config with the M261 kit.  The second potential AR would be a normal 5.56 AR with no gas port, which would also be legal, right?  How easy is it for you guys to get suppressors (moderators)?  The same to register as a rifle is?  

ETA:  The CLE dedicated .22lr uppers can't chamber .223 under any circumstance IIRC.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HTH

Rich

No it wouldn't technically, because once is, always is. Unfortunately

But if it was never previously registered as a 5.56 then it would be an "initial" 22LR semi, right?  I would import it in that configuration as a "new" rifle.  I don't mean to confuse the two rifle types, I was talking about bringing one AR with a .22LR upper (only) in normal semi config with the M261 kit.  The second potential AR would be a normal 5.56 AR with no gas port, which would also be legal, right?  How easy is it for you guys to get suppressors (moderators)?  The same to register as a rifle is?  

ETA:  The CLE dedicated .22lr uppers can't chamber .223 under any circumstance IIRC.  

Get a dedicated 22 upper and it was never a Section 5 rifle and you'll be OK.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 2:15:36 AM EDT
[#22]
John

Can I defer to my more learned brothers above.

Suppressors are very straightforward here, they are added to your certificate like a rifle.

You need good reason for ownership and "health and safety for hearing damage" is adequate.

Richard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top