Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 12:18:53 PM EDT
I love these guys.....always coming out with useless rubbish.

Scare the sheeple and protect them with the firearms register....

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4798918.stm

UK 'could see another Dunblane'

Britain could see a massacre similar to the one at Dunblane Primary School 10 years ago, a top police officer says.

Association of Chief Police Officers president Sir Chris Fox said tightening the UK's gun laws had made a second massacre "far more unlikely" to happen.

But he said it would be "foolish" to say it could not and added progress towards a national gun register had "not been as quick as it could be".

A gunman killed 16 pupils and a teacher at the Perthshire school in March 1996.

Vetting process

Thomas Hamilton, 43, who had broken into the school, also injured 12 other children and two teachers before killing himself.

Speaking the day before the 10th anniversary of the massacre, Sir Chris said: "People get access to weapons and go - become rogue in the way they behave, and they're very difficult to track."

But he told told Sky News' Sunday Live with Adam Boulton programme: "People who are registered as firearms owners have to go through a very stringent vetting process, which has been revamped since Dunblane."

We regard this system... as absolutely central to the safe and effective operation of the firearms licensing system
Home Affairs Select Committee

There were two main provisions in the government's 1997 National Firearms (Amendment) Act: the first was to ban handguns; the second was the national firearms database.

Accessible to the police across the country, the register would keep track of everyone who had a gun licence and those who had been judged unfit to be granted one.

But it is still not up and running.

At the moment, records are only held locally by police forces and are not available to their colleagues in other areas.

As far back as 2000 the Home Affairs Select Committee looked into the delay and said: "We are appalled that the national database of certificate holders and applications is not yet in immediate prospect, over two years after the implementation of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997.

'Betraying victims'

"We regard this system, which will allow the swift and effective exchange of information on applications made for certificates between all police forces, as absolutely central to the safe and effective operation of the firearms licensing system."

But pilot schemes of the register, known as the National Firearms Licensing Management System, in the West Midlands and Lancashire during 2004 did not go to plan.

And campaigners have accused the government of "betraying" the victims after an admission by Whitehall earlier this month that the project had been delayed again.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Speaking the day before the 10th anniversary of the massacre, Sir Chris said: "People get access to weapons and go - become rogue in the way they behave, and they're very difficult to track."

"People"
Some people?
All people?

How many registered firearms holders are currently registered as "ROGUE"

Sir Chris had better stop generalising

Wanker..!

Taffy
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Good old " Gun hater " Jeremy vine  ( Radio 2 ) had his bit to say today about firearms, he made out that people arnt registered properly and that the police dont know what guns the FAC holders have.

If i didnt know about firearms, i would have assumed that you can still have pistols and after you've told the police you want to hold firearms, all you have to do is go to your local gun shop and buy as many as you want

It just pisses me off, i got into this firearms game far to late and missed the pistol days, but i would be a very pissed of man if i had to loose anything i have now !

Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top