Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 2:01:53 AM EDT
As we were about to go offtopic on the other thread, I thought that the 10/22 deserved a thread of it's own. Mod's please don't bite me, I know that it's not a black rifle, but I do think that it is worthy of it's own thread on our patch.

I have a Ruger 10/22 std, recently I put an 'ebay 321', 3-9 x 50 scope on it and took it to the range to zero it, at 100m's I could keep the round's in a 4-5" grouping firing rapidly. The trigger is a monster and I don't really want to play with that. I have heard that if I remove the barrel band, and play with different type's of ammo it will improve, some.

Seeing the different type's of stock's that are on the market has got me into thinking that with the right stock and ammo the 10/22 could be a lot more fun. I would be thankfull for any and all the tip's trick's and info that you would post here, to help me.

I liked the link that Vito113 posted for the AK stock but that cost's more than the weapon originally cost.

Toe
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:18:42 AM EDT
[#1]
the lawyer proof trigger is crap, but it can be sorted out with a stone and some patience,

first things i sorted out where the crap mag release and the bolt hold open both done in about 2 mins,

my ruger, stainless steel, 4-12 X40 in a folding stock,

James
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:31:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
the lawyer proof trigger is crap, but it can be sorted out with a stone and some patience, How?

first things i sorted out where the crap mag release and the bolt hold open both done in about 2 mins, How?

my ruger, stainless steel, 4-12 X40 in a folding stock,

James

I need either a link or a step by step explanation that I can use, please pm me or post the info here.

Thank's.

Toe.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:38:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:53:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ruger 10/22 is a pointless rifle IMHO, you spend so much money turning it into a decent refifle you may as well by a decent rifle in the first place!

Chose Rheinland R22... a 10/22 on steroids...

ANdy

I agree, but I have the 10/22. Due to the newer and better weapon's on the market, and not wanting to make a loss on selling the 10/22 as everyone want's one of these newer & better weapon's. I'd like to give it a bit of a cheap tune up and show some peep's that it may be a 10/22 but I can still give them a run for their money with it, without having to invest the price of a new R22 doing so. Maybe then I can sell it and buy a Rheinland R22.

Toe.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:05:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Throw most of it away and it becomes really quite useful.

Mines got the drop in VQ trigger and sear, Lothar Walther Tube, Fajen stock, bolt handle from 10/22MAG (much bigger) and Leupold rings/bases.

If you radius the back of the bolt it'll improve cycling mines 100% now with subs

Pic shows before the 12" Walther barrel and huge silencer were fitted, now it will hold an inch at 100 yards with EPS

Richard

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:06:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:22:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
the lawyer proof trigger is crap, but it can be sorted out with a stone and some patience, How?

the Trigger takes a bit of time and patience, first of all you have to strip the Hammer out, then using a wetstone smooth off all the sharp edges, then slowly remove material from the bottom of the hammer changing the angle slightly keep replacing the Hammer checking it to make sure you haven't gone too far, basically what you are doing is making the sear engagement step smaller, just dont make it too small

first things i sorted out where the crap mag release and the bolt hold open both done in about 2 mins, How?
Replace the original items with the volquartsen upgraded items, it doesnt take long, and really improves things

Toe.

James
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the Trigger takes a bit of time and patience, first of all you have to strip the Hammer out, then using a wetstone smooth off all the sharp edges, then slowly remove material from the bottom of the hammer changing the angle slightly keep replacing the Hammer checking it to make sure you haven't gone too far, basically what you are doing is making the sear engagement step smaller, just dont make it too small Did that once with my FN-HP and the resul's were BRRRRRT

Replace the original items with the volquartsen upgraded items, it doesnt take long, and really improves things

Toe.

James

Cheer's, James.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:42:03 AM EDT
[#9]
thats why i said... dont make it tooo small!!! lol
Ive done a few rugger trigger jobds now im not getting bad at it, ive found the best oil to use on a whetstone is...... Crap horrible old hydraulic oil out of the machines in work! lol

James,
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:04:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Useful link ........... Nice bloke too..
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:37:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:58:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree, but the neighbours might object should I fancy a plink with it in the garden.....  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I had South York Shooting Sup do the cheap polish and fit an extended mag release while they had it.

Cheap as chips and the rifle works fine even with the band still on it. It is a plinker so I dont want to spend a fortune. Otherwise I'd have bough a more expensive rifle as already mentioned

Just my 2 cents

Taffy
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Just got back from doing the trigger job, it's a whole lot better now. Don't scream and shout at me I used a felt wheel and polishing paste on the dremmel at low speed. I didn't really remove anything, but I polished it right up and added a bit of wolf teflon grease and it's ton's better now. It's just a shame that I'll be away for three week's on a RE-HA and won't be able to try it out till the middle of March.

I was thinking of buying a V22 upper for my XR-15, but they cost €499:00 over here and I have seen them on the web for $249:00. I may be a grumpy not so old fart, but I'm nobody's charity. My attitude is if they don't get reasonable with their pricing policy, they can go &?%! themselve's, and go out of business, for all I care.

Toe.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#15]
What you really need for your 10/22 is a bulpup stock !!

And would you adam and eve it, i've only got one for sale in the EE

Steve
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Steve

Steve, the first place that I looked before starting this thread was your webshop.

Tony.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve

Steve, the first place that I looked before starting this thread was your webshop.

Tony.

Tony if im honest with you, the bulpup stock is just for fun, not good for accuracy as the scope attaches to the seperate plastic rail, and is prone to moving !

Use it with iron sight and a turning target and it's a barrel of laughs.

I got 3rd place in our club comp using it free standing @ 50yds

Steve
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#19]
ive got down for a .22 conversion kit, but apperently fat bob has the kits but no mags :(

Will have to source one this year though, Matt

James  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I just checked the Oberlandarm's web page and couldn't find any info about a .22 upper, probably a good thing as from my experience I wouldn't want to pay what they want out of principle.

Toe.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
ive got down for a .22 conversion kit, but apperently fat bob has the kits but no mags :(

James  

I remember reading about this sad situation on here month's ago. Has the problem still not been solved?

Cheer's for the tip, I stripped the whole trigger unit down, and all of the surface's that showed wear have been polished and greased and put back together again. I dry fired it a few times, wow, much better.

Toe.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

James  

I remember reading about this sad situation on here month's ago. Has the problem still not been solved?

Cheer's for the tip, I stripped the whole trigger unit down, and all of the surface's that showed wear have been polished and greased and put back together again. I dry fired it a few times, wow, much better.

Toe.

problem deffo not solved, i've been waiting for about 8 months for the mag from SGC to go with my kit

I've told them i want a refund for the mag so i can get one else where.

Waiting on a reply

Steve
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#23]
i think i may see if he'll do one without the mag cheaper...

Then put a wtb in the EE,

Customer service ha ha im sure fatty has never heard of it,

James
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#25]
you never know how much is a spare mag??

Lets see, ciener says... $39 for a ten rounder or $59 for a 30,

So using the Bob Import price calculation, for him to refund you the cost of the mag you owe him £25

James
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
you never know how much is a spare mag??

Lets see, ciener says... $39 for a ten rounder or $59 for a 30,

So using the Bob Import price calculation, for him to refund you the cost of the mag you owe him £25

James

Steve
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:25:27 AM EDT
[#27]
OK, I've lurked long enough...

The 10/22 is an excellent rifle, and it can also be the biggest POS out there.

I've seen people buy a Volquartsen thingy, with a MOA receiver, lots of expensive go-faster bits inside, put a great big scope on the top, and still only have a 22lr self loader (and usually one that has FTF, FTE, and other problems).  It has cost upwards of £1000.

Now I have a standard 10/22 blue barrel and it is just as accurate as the big money 10/22s and has never given me problems in regards to FTFs, FTEs etc. I have used it in competitions against the fully tricked up non-ruger 10/22s and it has never been left standing at the back. It doesn't look fancy, but it can still shoot as well as any other.

One thing I would say, to get the best from the rifle the trigger needs something doing to it. The basic would be to fit a target hammer. This I did and it made the world of difference and that was as far as I went on the fire group. I have filed the bolt hold open bit so it will slip off easier, but I'd never pay £12+ for the new part, if I couldn't do it I'd leave it where it is.

All I will say is many people have unreasonable expectations from the 10/22. It will never give consistent one-hole groups at 25yds (it'll get very close) if that's what you want then get a bolt gun - any 22 bolt gun as they are all as good as the next (just pay more for the finish). Chose the 10/22 for the disciplines it was designed for, not least of which is tincan plinking. Use it for mini-rifle, and the more action orientated gallery rifle events at the Phoenix and the like.

I have more 22lr rifles than I really need, and semis I have the 10/22, R22, Bremmer/M261 and Ceiner, and if the SHTF (and I could only take one of them to a GR competition), it'd be the 10/22 that'd get the call up.

DON'T SPEND TOO MUCH MONEY ON ACCURISING A 10/22, HAVE FUN WITH IT, AND USE THE MONEY TO BUY A CHEAP BOLT GUN LIKE THE CZ452 (or any other, as they're all as good).
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:29:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:36:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:22:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a shiny turd, which is fine for a bit of turning target, but for accuracy i'd use my CZ452 Bull barrel jobbie !

Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top