Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 12:45:51 AM EDT
I'm thinking of getting a Southern Gun Company LA30 (the .30 carbine straight pull rifle) as something a bit different to shoot on my club's 100 meter range. Seems this calibre just squeezes into the safety certificate.

What is the maximum usefull range for this sort of gun/calibre for fun (not serious competition) target shooting ? I'm guessing it would be around 200/300 meters.

Any tips on what setup to get ? For example trigger/barrel length/muzzle break etc
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:32:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi Turnip

I've got an SGC LA30 , the pistol grip lever action version, not the straightpull.  I really like mine,  the only thing wrong with it was the price.....

I 've used mine indoors at 25/50m all the way up to 300 yards.

Mine has an 18" Wilson Stainless fluted barrel with Benny Cooley muzzlebreak, 4 rail foreend, vertical grip , jewell trigger and an adjustable buttpad.  The foreend grip is needed to counteract the forward pushing motion of the pistol grip. With some  practice its easy to use.

For the standard 110grain FMJ load I use modified original M1 mags, both 15 and 30 rounders. For the 125grain heads (longer OAL) I use SGC's CNC machined mag, with 12 round capacity.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:46:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Does that 18" barrel make it too long for 'active shooting' GR matches?

I would have thought a 12" would be lighter and more manageable?

Have you plans to make it straightpull?

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:36:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks good, think I'll put my ticket in for a one-for-one swap tommorrow.

What is it like as a round to reload ? I would guess its pretty straightforward and a lot like a straightwall pistol cartrdige.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:59:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does that 18" barrel make it too long for 'active shooting' GR matches?

I would have thought a 12" would be lighter and more manageable?

Have you plans to make it straightpull?

Well, I wanted a jack of all trades really, with the longer barrel providing higher velocities for reaching out to 300 at the expense of being heavier.....A shorter barrel would definately make it more manageable, but would expect the mzzleblast to increase too, which is already quite 'interesting' at my indoor range
I know a guy with two uppers, with the shorty being used for speed steels.

If I get bored I might get it chopped....

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:13:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looks good, think I'll put my ticket in for a one-for-one swap tommorrow.

What is it like as a round to reload ? I would guess its pretty straightforward and a lot like a straightwall pistol cartrdige.

It's a cinch to reload. I'm using Viht N110.  The cases aren't straightwall, although they do look it at first glance. I have to use case lube even with my carbide Lee dies.

The  La30 is probably my favourite rifle, as the ballistics of the .30 carbine allow me to use it anywhere and it makes a  refreshing change (albeit an expensive one) from the usual Winchesters, Rossis and Marlins (which I also have).

The charcoal burning, snider toting range Nazis at my club love it

Whereabouts in the UK are you ?
Welcome to Arfcom BTW !

Cheers
Steven
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:27:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
the shorty being used for speed steels.

mmmm speed steels with the straightpull 9mm
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:31:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm in the concrete paradise of Coventry - shoot at Wedgnock and occasionally at Minsterly. Will hopefully be shooting at Kingsbury and Whittington as well soon, though at the longer ranges I'd be using my old 303 rather than the 30 cal.

Is it possible to get lead heads ? On the 100 meter range at Wedgnock theres no jacketed or gas checked heads allowed, though they are allowed on the 50 meter. Wedgnock has been looking at getting some lanes on the 100 meter range converted to full-bore which would be nice if it happens.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:33:44 AM EDT
[#8]
That barrel must be nearly shot out already.

Richard
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:01:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm in the concrete paradise of Coventry - shoot at Wedgnock and occasionally at Minsterly. Will hopefully be shooting at Kingsbury and Whittington as well soon, though at the longer ranges I'd be using my old 303 rather than the 30 cal.

Is it possible to get lead heads ? On the 100 meter range at Wedgnock theres no jacketed or gas checked heads allowed, though they are allowed on the 50 meter. Wedgnock has been looking at getting some lanes on the 100 meter range converted to full-bore which would be nice if it happens.

Turnip - I've sent you an IM.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:41:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That barrel must be nearly shot out already.

Richard

That 'cause it gets used!
Strange concept that  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:02:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Shooting interferes with drinking tea and smoking
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#12]

(sorry everyone 'in house' joke)
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:01:57 AM EDT
[#13]
How modified are the original M1 magazines for the 110g rounds ? The original mags can be picked up dirt cheap so I was wondering if the mod actually requires some tooling/skill, or if  its something anyone could quickly bodge into shape.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:19:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Turnip,

Welcome to ARFcom.
IM sent.

Matt
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:41:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I make and use lead heads in my AR but "with" gas checks". I found the accuracy improved with the gas checks but I've not tried them sized without the gas check. If the lead is hard enough (I seem to have cracked this) and you are not requiring high velocities it is possible.

Hi and welcome to the forum

Cheers
Taffy

This is an old pic and the "awaiting test" round has performed the best
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:55:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How modified are the original M1 magazines for the 110g rounds ? The original mags can be picked up dirt cheap so I was wondering if the mod actually requires some tooling/skill, or if  its something anyone could quickly bodge into shape.

Mags are  easy to modify  - even I managed to do it !!!

Basically change the rear of the mag from a u shape to a square shape. I'll take a pic for you. I used a dremel type tool that I bought from Maplins for a tenner.  The original mags use an adaptor that sits in the AR magwell. My LA30 came with one.

Cheers
Steven
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top