Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 6:31:32 AM EDT
I'm considering purchasing a Class 1 shotgun once I have my FAC (amongst a .22 rifle, a carbine, maybe a SMLE, a AR15 etc etc... . I'm loving practical shotgun matches and am therefore obviously looking for something a little more 'tactical' than the usual 3 shot or over and under. I'd also like to have the option of using the shottie for other shotgun disciplines. I know the benelli M1 is an option. I've seen ads in the US where they are also available in LH configuration but as usual UK dealer websites are utter shite in terms of getting clean and well presented information.

Where would I buy a shotgun in the UK? Any links for online/offline dealers? What shotgun do you recommend for practical disciplines? Where do I buy accessories etc?

I'm sure people at the club can also give me this info....but there is no better place to ask for this kind of info than Arfcom.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:51:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Back in the day when I used to shoot PSG, the Remy 1100/1187 was king, and probably still is.
But ever since the UKPSA got their asses well and truly whipped at the Europeans, I believe there has been a swing towards the Benelli though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Johan,
IM me your e-mail addr - I'll send you the PSG rules (this determines what kit you might want), and contact details of a few people who will relieve you of a lot of money.

SteveA
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:27:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Steve, IM sent.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I have mine for "control of avian pest species"

and I wear hardcore camoflauge and stuff, and a balaclava.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I use both my Benelli M1 and Franchi SP9 for Vermin / Pest control with police approval......... However, there is some contradictory wording that requires that I only use them over a course of fire approved by a meber of the UKPSA.........  My ticket is open, and all my ground is cleared for their use....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I know where theres a couple of SPAS 12's.

If any one is interested IM me.

Davey Man
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#8]
At last! a reason to post my SPAS 12 pic

my club runs PSG comps and 100yd slug comps.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They can take a hike.

Anyone know the regs about shooting ordinary & Sec1's at targets on HO approved ranges?  My Club Secretary has no problem with it (as long as I bring my own target frames), but he's not sure if the Plods will.

ANdy

Seem to remember a 200yd slug comp last year at the pheonix shoot
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

i20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/rbecks/IMG_0001.jpg

+1
My PA8

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They can take a hike.

Anyone know the regs about shooting ordinary & Sec1's at targets on HO approved ranges?  My Club Secretary has no problem with it (as long as I bring my own target frames), but he's not sure if the Plods will.

ANdy

Seem to remember a 200yd slug comp last year at the pheonix shoot

You're right, it was called Service Shotgun 'A'  Slug Match on turning targets at 100 and 200.

Anybody know if it wil be repeated.....Nice shotties BTW, a mate of mine use to have a folding Franchi  Spas back in the day....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yes, but the question is, do you have to be part of the UKP(but only in non offensive attire)SA to get a Sec 1 shotti for target shooting?

ANdy

Not any more.
It used to be that you had to belong to a club that was at least affiliated to the UKPSA, but I don't think that's relevant anymore.
Besides the NRA for one at least permits sect 1 shotguns and slug to be used at Bisley.
And being a member of the NRA is good enough reason

Mark
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/rbecks/IMG_0001.jpg

+1
My PA8

snafu.altervista.org/franchiPA8.JPG

Snap!  Minus the folding stock of course..... I have the stock, but have the solid wooden one firmly attached........ I'm finding it a tad stiff to extract once it's had a 100+ rounds through it...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:57:46 AM EDT
[#17]
You need not be a member of the NRA as there are, during the year,  several open shotgun slug comps.  

However, there is currently an offer of 2006 membership for 30 quid (for newbies).
Worth a look if you are going to pay the 10 quid for the SR matches, then enter in the summer Imperial and shoot some gallery rifle this year........

With regards to the granting of sect 1 shotgun:-

If you time it right, away from other range use, you can also zero on stickledown 'butt zero' during the week. If you are not an NRA member, that needs to be a club booking........

We worked hard to get the use of shotguns approved at Bisley, now you need not be a member of the UKPSA, just show your FEO one of the NRA entry forms or get him to ring the NRA.

I don't belong to the UKPSA and I have an 870 and an 1100.

However, there are 'extra' restrictions on section 1 shotguns though, you cannot lend or hire a gun to a non sect 1 shotgun holder.  

If the range is authorised for solid slug then there is no problem, as it is a range not the 'UKPSA approved land '.

Be aware that some MOD ranges have heavy restrictions or prohibitions on the use of shotgun and or solid slug.

The UKPSA clause is for competition / target use over non fixed ranges.
If you have a vermin comtrol authorisation that is separate and has nothing to do with the UKPSA.
If you have an FAC shotgun, for compettion use, you are to comply with the non-range range UKPSA clause or use it on a fixed range as per the conditions on your FAC.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#18]
are folding stocks illegal in th UK? here in Italy they are illegal on rifles only....shotty are ok
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:07:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
are folding stocks illegal in th UK? here in Italy they are illegal on rifles only....shotty are ok

Only because of overall length.
A shotgun must have a minimum length of 40" and a minimum barrel length of 24".

So, you can have a folding stock, provoding the barrels are long enough that the shotgun is no shorter than 40".
Which isn't pracitcal

Mark
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have mine for "control of avian pest species"

I can control all manner of beasties with my firearms, but the shotgun is specifically for the destruction of vermin and pests, oh and target shooting as well.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Whats the ballistics of a slug then ? (no not that kind.....)

How heavy is the average slug load and how fast do they go  ?

Cheers

ETA - and how accurate are they ?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Whats the ballistics of a slug then ? (no not that kind.....)

How heavy is the average slug load and how fast do they go  ?

Cheers

ETA - and how accurate are they ?

Usually around the 1oz in wieght and the drop (according to the Remington Slugger box)

Range(yards)   Drop (inches)
muzzle                 0 (duh!)
25                       .49
50                    2.19
75                    5.47
100                10.68

Accuracy - that's up to you!

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#25]
My application for a shotgun went in on Friday, theres no issue with destruction of avian vermin although I must promise not to shoot foxes with it (although I can with my section 2 shotgun?)

Apparently one grey area is if you have "destruction of avian vermin" and "target shooting" you still cant shoot clays with it ever clays not being targets ........... if you ask for clays at a later date its another £26

The slug application went less well and they have gone away with details of an open comp to consider their options.

The world waits.

Richard
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Andy, Northants are actually very nice people its just whenever you stray away from stalking rifles and shotguns which are their core business here things just get a little more complicated.

Richard
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Hi Richrd

How many slugs did you ask to hold on your ticket ?

cheers
steven
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:27:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Buy 100 - Hold 250

Richard
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:37:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:44:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Ah but this is a proper stalking rifle for proper stalking ie carrying a very long way up very steep hills hence its about 5ibs in weight (and .308), as opposed to a Varmint rifle like my fox gun which weighs more than twice as much but is only ever used off a bipod or from a vehicle.

Both are used to hunt and kill things but handle (and recoil) very differently thus the distinction is important.

Richard
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:49:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Non-Stalking.....label says .22LR....

I did read something somewhere though that said more game had been killed in Africa with .303's than any other caliber......
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Sorry for asking this queston, Im just curios when you buy a shotgun you can shoot it at birds, but not clay pigeons. Is this for a ll shotguns or just the restricted ones sorry just a ignorent floridian who can't believe your goverment does this to you guys.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:31:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Chuck

Shotguns here have to be 1/2 or 3 shot (2+1) they have a licence all over their own which isnt terribly restrictive they also have to be over 40" overall with 24" barrels you cannot have soilid slugs with this licence.

To own a semi auto or pump with greater than 2+1 or a short barreled single or double you need the next licence up and have to put up with lots of form filling and restrictions on where and how you can use it, if you want slugs you have to ask nicely and come up with a plausible reason you might need them

Thus a high capacity shotgun can only be used for the purposes listed on your licence which do not normally include clay shooting.

I hope that makes it clearer, you should try living here[

Richard

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#38]
thanks alot for the info no plans any time soon to move, but I am facinated by all the laws and red tape you guys have to go through. Im very blessed to not have to deal with all that stuff yet thaks again.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Variation sorted, there is no requirement to be a member of UK PSA to have solid slug ammunition

Thanks ACR26

Is anyone selling a suitable cannon (Spas/Benelli etc)

Richard
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top