Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 6:18:34 PM EDT
7.30pm - Chilli pot in full steam (14lb Mince, 4 onions, 10 tins tomatoes etc etc)

10.00pm - After much merrymaking, several beers consumed and Mrs Bunnyassassin asleep on Mousegunner-UK's bog............

Where the hell did all that go?  A small army would have left some!!!!

A good night all round, cheers to Davey man and Yvonne Pet

My turn next week!  Maybe Flimby Curry yet?......... heh

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#1]
No, it's rather warm for January over here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't see any chili peppers.........

SRM
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:30:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:21:55 AM EDT
[#4]
oh man, you're going to stir up that whole north vs south, beans vs no beans thing again.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, but they look like BAKED beans, and that is just wrong!

Plus I also did not see any chilli peppers. Powder is for gheys.

:-D

Explain yourself Davey Man!

(P.S. Bunnyassasin, my ex from Flimby was called Sheryl Brown, and she lived in a white terraced house down by the sea front/station, she'll be about 25 or 26 now)
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Chilli, the food of kings
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#8]
They look like ckick peas to me.

On another note: How the f**k do you brown 14lb mince
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Nuke it from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

According to dave it was cooking for over 7 hours?  Damn nice, but a real pain in the a&%e in the morning, if you catch my drift!!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#12]
You'll need to ask the chef, but there was button mushrooms, bit vague about the rest?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#13]

I've got some great footage from Iraq if you're interested
(airborne weapons platforms provide great support and make for great video)
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Do you know "Laurence Llewelly-Bowen" by any chance?

Taffy
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:22:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to dave it was cooking for over 7 hours?  Damn nice, but a real pain in the a&%e in the morning, if you catch my drift!!!

And Davey-man wonders why his ass is in tatters.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:30:45 AM EDT
[#16]
OK guys here's the low down on the chilli.

14lbs mince - browned (took about 1/2 an hour)
5lbs chopped onion (browned off in chilli oil took about 3/4 hour to do)
5lbs of red kidney beans
3 3/4 lbs button mushrooms left whole
14 lbs of chopped tomatoes or tomatillos if you can get them
3 litres of passata (sieved tomatoes, this is needed to ensure theres plenty of liquid in the pan)
5 fresh corriander plants (you know, the ones in a pot still growing) chopped finely
11 fresh scotch bonnet chillis, chopped ( as this was for a general audiance I stay away from the habenaro chilli, normally use this in my own chilli, as you need to be a chilli head to enjoy the intense flavour of this type of chilli)
1/2 lb dried chilli mix ( I make my own by drying out packs of red/green jalepenos then grinding the dried chillis in a pestle and mortar, normally do this about 3 or 4 times a year so that I have my own dried  crushed chilli always available. Normally dry them out on paper in the house takes 4 - weeks depending on environment. Then add dried chives, oregano, cumin and fresh cracked black and red pepper corns. You need to experiment with the quantities here depending on your  taste)
cayene pepper 1 tablespoon
brown sugar (sugar brings the heat out) quantities vary but in this one I used about 1/4 lb
1 bulb of crushed garlic or if you cant be arsed crushing it 1/2 a jar of very lazy garlic.

OK so once you have browned the meat and the onions it all goes (apart from the brown sugar and cayenne pepper ) into a large pan in this case 40 pints and bring it gently to the boil, stirring continuously, drop the heat to the lowest setting then cook for a minimum of 4 hours stirring every 10 minutes or so. Remember with chilli the longer you cook it the more the heat comes out especially if you let it cool down then bring the heat up. The brown sugar and cayenne pepper is added after about 2 hours on the heat again add to taste as the brown sugar brings the heat out.

Right now you know................theres no chick peas or hp beans in it.

Enjoy.

Davey man

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:38:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Ahaaaa, Chilli 101........ Am I the only one who spotted that?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:43:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks good to me.

What exactly is mince?  I'm assuming ground or shredded beef?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top