Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 12:36:43 PM EDT
From the BBC link here

Hunt goes on to find missing boar

Boar farmer Alan Dedames said it will be difficult to find the animals
Efforts to round up more of the wild boar which were set loose from a north Devon farm are continuing.

Police believe animal rights activists may have cut the chain link fence enclosing the 100 animals at the Woodland Wild Boar Farm in West Anstey.

Four have been recovered, but residents said the boar, which are not thought to be dangerous, have caused havoc digging up gardens and terrorising pets.

The local council said it can kill the animals because of licensing problems.

Christine Pennells, who runs the Jubilee Inn near West Anstey, told BBC News damage caused by the boars had upset her.

She said: "There were five of them in the garden. They were still there five hours later, just digging up the whole garden.

It's a Garden of Eden for them out there
Alan Dedames

"The council have been taking photos of the damage because it was a lovely lawn and they were just digging and digging and digging."

Alan Dedames, who owns the Woodland Wild Boar Farm, said it would be difficult to find all the missing animals and it had happened at the wrong time of year.

"There are lots of berries, lots of nuts and fungi around at the moment. It's a Garden of Eden for them out there," he said.

Mr Dedames has been warned that the local council can kill the animals.

North Devon District Council said this was because the farm's licence to keep wild animals did not actually start until 1 January.

It said that in the meantime it had "the power to seize, retain or destroy or otherwise dispose of all dangerous animals as it sees fit".

The council also has the power to charge any costs to the firm.

Police have issued a number for people to call if they spot any boar: 08452 777 444.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The Times   December 23, 2005

Activists accused as 100 wild boar break free
By David Sanderson

A HERD of 100 wild boar was on the loose last night after apparently being released by animal rights activists.

Police warned residents and motorists in North Devon to be careful after reports that the animals were trying to get into gardens and terrorising pets.

The farmer, Alan Dedames, of Woodland Wild Boar, in West Anstey, said yesterday: “It’s no doubt activists cut my fence and let my animals out. They came in the middle of the night and cut down about 500 metres of fence.

“There’s a concern with them being out on the road, and the ones that we can’t get back in will get shot. So it’s not really liberating animals, it’s putting them under stress.”

Jo Howard, the village postmistress, was surrounded by the boar when she drove into a car park yesterday. Mrs Howard, 46, said: “There were loads of them. I waited until I had a clear path and made a dash for it. I was terrified.”

Devon and Cornwall police said: “Police are open-minded as to why the damage was caused but cannot rule out that it was a deliberate act to set the animals free.”

Wild boar can weigh 400lb and grow to a length of 9ft. The male’s tusks can be up to 8in long.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#2]
F**king idiots.
On the other hand though, I'd love to hunt wild boar

Mark
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Wild boar can weigh 400lb and grow to a length of 9ft. The male’s tusks can be up to 8in long.

That's what make's them bloody dangerous too!!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
F**king idiots.

Mark

You'll need something with a lot of power, I hunt them here in Germany, and I carry the Mauser K98 in a plastic stock zeroed with a bushnell trophy red dot. The ammo used is the Gecco in 8X57IS, even then you may need MORE than one shot to take it down. If you want to practice shoot a german hunter's webpage has a Link to a Nordik web presence, go there and scroll down to the bottom of the page and start the program. I don't speak the lingo there, but it would seem that the less text that you get after the shot the better you did. After the shot you can also change the type of scope used.

Tony
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I bet it was those LACS people dumping some of the extra phone directories in the back lanes that broke the fence and let the boar loose.

Send in the dogs.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#6]
This pig roast is looking more possible as each day goes by....

Taffy
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
F**king idiots.

Mark

You'll need something with a lot of power, I hunt them here in Germany, and I carry the Mauser K98 in a plastic stock zeroed with a bushnell trophy red dot. The ammo used is the Gecco in 8X57IS, even then you may need one than one shot to take it down. If you want to practice shoot a german hunter's webpage has a Link to a Nordik web presence, go there and scroll down to the bottom of the page and start the program. I don't speak the lingo there, but it would seem that the less text that you get after the shot the better you did. After the shot you can also change the type of scope used.

Tony

On a serious note,
What do you think the possibilities are of coming over some time in the next few months to hunt boar with you??
I've got a .30-06 and would really like the opportunity.
Besides, Germany's not that far

Mark
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:55:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Mark,

I have sent you a message, I can't sponsor you as my Hunt dosen't have wild boar.

Tony
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:13:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Got it
Thanks

Mark
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:20:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
F**king idiots.

Mark

Yes they are f**king idiots, and no! you don't want to go near them with anything bolt action, a 600lb+ 4 legged Exocet that will attack on sight and take your leg off!

We have them in the woods near me too and the New Forest is overun with the brutes. Slugs and a semi auto shotgun sound a suitable option.

ANdy

M2

It's the only way to be sure
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:36:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Think I might 'volunteer' to help out Devon County Council...

Do you think my 'good reason' for a .44 mag LBR would stand if I put 'Public safety issue , Wild Boar hunting...."
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:01:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
F**king idiots.

Mark

Yes they are f**king idiots, and no! you don't want to go near them with anything bolt action, a 600lb+ 4 legged Exocet that will attack on sight and take your leg off!

We have them in the woods near me too and the New Forest is overun with the brutes. Slugs and a semi auto shotgun sound a suitable option.

ANdy

Andy I dont know,I have a friend of mine that goes once a year up to a hunting preserve in PA,he has killed a 500lb plus russian wild boar with both a bow and a .357 mag revolver.Of course he had to climb a tree both times untill the boars died though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top