Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 10:12:13 AM EDT
Copied from an email sent to me

Seems the "Ban it All" brigade have another target

It appears the ban it all brigade--namely bureaucrats and politicians are stiil hard at it trying to cover their previous stupid policies that have blatantly failed, with even more stupidity, to cover the earlier crap!
 A very good friend of mine has just lent me his copy of Octobers issue of the above magazine. He pointed out an article by its Editor, which I will now plagiarise, titled,

And then the Workshop Police?

I am told that some bright spark in Whitehall has come up with the idea that workshop machinery should be registered in much the same way as cars.
Apparently this has been set off by worries that decommissioned or replica firearms could be turned into weapons. (Presumeably by an army of disaffected octogenarians) If so, then this would have serious implications for all model engineers. All such schemes cost massive amounts of money to set up and administer, so who pays, and how much?
What machines would be covered? To be properly effective, it would have to cover every Black and Decker Drill, since with attachments and ingenuity, even these can be converted to operate as precision lathes. An Email query on this to a government contact is at time of writing still, after several weeks, unanswered!
  This looks like yet another hair brained idea spawned by a Civil Service bureaucrat, probably holding an Oxbridge "first" (history, arts, or political science?) but with zero qualifications as regards practical life experience; clearly not enough to do and too much time to think (but without the attention span to properly think through). For my money, because of the growing numbers of metal detectors, the future threat in unauthorised firearms will come, not from reactivated replicas, but from new high tech designs using ceramics, carbon fibre and advanced plastics. Thinking laterally in terms of weapons of modest destruction, just consider the possibilities open to any anti-social teenager with a radio controlled plane and a box of fireworks.

Mark
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#1]
It'll be "for the children"
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Copied from an email sent to me

Seems the "Ban it All" brigade have another target

It appears the ban it all brigade--namely bureaucrats and politicians are stiil hard at it trying to cover their previous stupid policies that have blatantly failed, with even more stupidity, to cover the earlier crap!
 A very good friend of mine has just lent me his copy of Octobers issue of the above magazine. He pointed out an article by its Editor, which I will now plagiarise, titled,

And then the Workshop Police?

I am told that some bright spark in Whitehall has come up with the idea that workshop machinery should be registered in much the same way as cars.
Apparently this has been set off by worries that decommissioned or replica firearms could be turned into weapons. (Presumeably by an army of disaffected octogenarians) If so, then this would have serious implications for all model engineers. All such schemes cost massive amounts of money to set up and administer, so who pays, and how much?
What machines would be covered? To be properly effective, it would have to cover every Black and Decker Drill, since with attachments and ingenuity, even these can be converted to operate as precision lathes. An Email query on this to a government contact is at time of writing still, after several weeks, unanswered!
  This looks like yet another hair brained idea spawned by a Civil Service bureaucrat, probably holding an Oxbridge "first" (history, arts, or political science?) but with zero qualifications as regards practical life experience; clearly not enough to do and too much time to think (but without the attention span to properly think through). For my money, because of the growing numbers of metal detectors, the future threat in unauthorised firearms will come, not from reactivated replicas, but from new high tech designs using ceramics, carbon fibre and advanced plastics. Thinking laterally in terms of weapons of modest destruction, just consider the possibilities open to any anti-social teenager with a radio controlled plane and a box of fireworks.

Mark

Jeeze Louise! And I thought our beurocrats were something! More paperwork and costs for machine shops, and of course registration fees and such! How do you-all compete?

...now can someone explain the TV license thing to me.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:45:05 PM EDT
[#4]
What about those in India or was it Pakistan making everything from derringers to anti tank weapons in their mud hut. There wasnt a lathe in sight, I wish that I had had the sense to tape that documentry.

The next thing's to be banned:-

Knowlage
Common sense

The list is endlessssssssssssssssssssss
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top