Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 12:32:53 PM EDT
I've just finished watching a DVD which was only re-released on Sep 5th, and was originally shown in 1984 on the BBC.

It's by Barry Hines (who also did Kes). The film is said to be the most realistic account of the goings on after a nuclear attack ever made. It uses footage from the Japanese bombs within the film to show actual damage and conditions.

Some information regarding the film:

Findings from the 1980 British Government exercise "Square Leg" were used as the basis for projecting the level of destruction and number of casualties in the movie. "Square Leg" was a government project that estimated what would happen in Britain in the event of an actual attack. It projected the mortality rate at 29 million, serious injuries at 7 million and short term survivors at 19 million.

Now, until recently I lived in a house of 5, all of whom (except me) worked for the Atomic Weapons Establishment in Aldermaston (where they make nuclear warheads). I had never appreciated what is likely to happen, really happen, in the event of a nuclear war. I don't think they do yet either, but they will as they will get a copy of this DVD.

It is honestly, and bear in mind I am of the younger generation, so less easily affected, it is honestly the most shocking film I have ever seen.

Not because of what you see on screen, that is not terribly grisly, its the ideas and the what if's that are shocking.

Its even more shocking because it's still a possibility today, even if it's just a reactor fault and it happens on a smaller scale.

Honestly, I think everyone should watch this, everyone should be aware of what copuld possibly happen.

I don't mean from a SHTF scenario, as honestly, there is no SHTF box that would prepare you for this, but from a knowledge point of view.
This is more of a documentary than a film.

I bought this DVD, I paid £14.99. But because I want people to see it, drop me an IM or an e-mail, and we can arrange so that you can see it, on condition I get an SAE, Blank DVD and when you get it, you watch it, and copy if for others if they ask.

Dave /still VERY shocked.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Seen it
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Well you will have , you're OLD

/Dave still thinks 'The Wicker Man' is the scariest horror ever
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm up for a look see/copy
I'll IM you

We have plenty of Reactors here and even an accident on a smaller scale than Chernoble would be devastating. We had stock of sheep affected up in mid Wales because of Chernoble.

Taffy

There's a Nuclear powerstation just across the channel from me .
Should I invest?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#5]
i think i saw this on one of the discovery type channels, where the looters get shot for the bag of prawn cocktail crisps??

If it was that one it was brilliant!!!!

James,
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Ja, thats it.

'I don't even like prawn cocktail'
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#7]
my favorite bit was the well fed squadies......

excuse me can you back away fromt he food depot........

LMAO!!!

James,
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:56:32 AM EDT
[#8]

We had stock of sheep affected up in mid Wales because of Chernoble.

Taffy

You can always use condoms

Mark
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
/Dave still thinks 'The Wicker Man' is the scariest horror ever

'Threads' is the scariest thing I've ever seen ,TV or cinema.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Dave

Thanks for sending me the "Purely Belter" dvd. I really enjoyed it.

I'm glad the bus driver didn't "miss" Jerry man's dad

Would it be wise to assume that you talk like these characters do ???

Newcastle United

Wally
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Wally,

I talk 'exactly' like those two lads when at home (in Newcastle)

Otherwise, as you are aware, I sound like a posh london gent
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

We had stock of sheep affected up in mid Wales because of Chernoble.

Taffy

You can always use condoms

Mark

don't you find lead condoms uncomfortable?????????

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#13]
the sheep do
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:45:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:46:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Dave

"The snow is deep in Moscow"

or should i say the "package" arrived safely

Many many thanks

I'll try to watch it this evening but it looks good from the quick peek I had

Taffy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top