Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2005 1:48:19 PM EDT
Last year I did a post with the above title as a joke...It pretty much went south...Most everyone took it to heart. ( I didn't realize how many bloody Irish-Americans are on this site)

So I thought I would try it here to see if you blokes find it funny. Now keep in mind this is coming from an American-Scots perspective and concerning the status in America.

It's all about the Calendar...

" Me Mum always said, If ya can't say no good 'bout no one, Keep yer pie hole shut.

God Bless her soul...She was always right. 'til I noticed that we far superior and more inventive Scot's do not have our "National Tartan Day" of April 6Th recognized on the bloody Calendar!!!

So,I say to all the potato eat'in...Leprechaun shitt'in O'Rielly, O'Malley O-boys with yer Green Beer drink'in day (Saint Paddy)....Beware...I'l shove me Sgian Dubh so far up yer arse's that the potato's ya inhale will be French Cut !!!

So off with ya and make this happen...Git this on the Calendar!!!"

Wally...The Mel Gibson Jockinese
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe it's because I'm tired but can't sleep, whilst missus lies half asleep next to me, stinking of beer and sweat, but I no understand...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Last year I did a post with the above title as a joke...It pretty much went south...Most everyone took it to heart. ( I didn't realize how many bloody Irish-Americans are on this site)

Wally, there's nobody more Irish than the Irishman who's never been to Ireland.

just a joke! just a joke! stop with the insults already!

But it should be done. National holiday for the Saints' Days perhaps. Should that mean the whole of the UK gets 4 saints holiday per year? Gets my vote.
Not sure about tartan day (6th April), as that's purely an American holiday to celebrate Americans of Scotish decent who have influenced the developement of the States. What day is 'Raost Beef and Warm Beer Day' for the Americans of English decent? Or 'Leek Soup and Sheep Day' for the Welsh decendants?

Sore point with the English and (probably - Taffy?) Welsh this.
St Patricks day (17th March) is a holiday in N Ireland, and St Andrews day (30th Nov) is celebrated in Scotland (no holiday though), and the TV (mainly BBC) airs related shows for both days.

But the 'establishment' try to quieten the English down on St Georges day (23rd April) to the point that it isn't mentioned at all in some areas. Are we meant to apologise for being English? Is it a case of not wanting to upset the other members of the UK? That's what it seems like. The poor Welsh just seem to be forgotten altogether by the media on 1st April (St Davids Day).

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Wally

Do you guys have hollidays for St Patricks day then? and not one for ...

Is it St Andrew for the Scotts

Taffy

My Fathers Irish and I'm sure he'd not take it to hart...I know I would'nt
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Aint no one sleeping tonite?

There's no shame in being English and proud

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Is it St Andrew for the Scotts

Incoming haggis!

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#6]
St Andrew

Phew for a minute there I thought I'd got it wrong
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Aint no one sleeping tonite?

There's no shame in being English and proud

Taffy

I'm not talking about the average Joe, I'm talking about the 'establishment'. All you provincials get your own Parliament (however handcuffed it might be) but the English still have to put up with the British one. That means for one thing that the Scots especially can vote on English affairs, but not the other way round. For instance, if the Scots couldn't vote in the 'English' election, Tony would be leader of the opposition - in an English Devolved Parliament.

The BBC, especially, is very unpatriotic towards the English, but not towards the Scots, Irish, or the British. Listen to any radio channel on St Patricks Day, you'll not not be able to miss the fact that it's Paddy's day. Do the same on St Georges Day, and you'll have to listen for a long time to find out if you've got the right day.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, I understand know.

National tartan day? WTF?

No - Real Scottish Holidays only for you my friend. Shall I send you a list of Scottish Holidays which qualify for days off work in Scotland. You can speak to a 'racial equality advisor' in work and get them off as PTO.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Maybe it's because I'm tired but can't sleep, whilst missus lies half asleep next to me, stinking of beer and sweat, but I no understand...

You or the missus stinks of beer and sweat?

My wife loves that manly smell, and mix in a bit of gun-oil, just a dab behind the ears, and she goes wild...

Well, mad anyway.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey guys

It was a joke about our calendars having St Patricks day and even Boxing Day for Canada and yet no reference to National Tartan Day which a Senate bill was passed in 1997 to recognize Americans of Scottish decent...Our own Declaration of Independance was framed around the"Declaration of Arbroarth" of 1320.

Without going on in great detail I was just making a joke and sending it to all the (as Matt properly understood ) Americans who become Irish on one day in the year in the States.

Taffy...No, St Paddy's day is not an offical holiday...Well...we still go to work if thats what you mean.

Dave...Have a few green beers, Maybe you'll get it then

Wally...The still Mel Gibson...Anyone paying attention to my bloody new avatar...Jockinese

ETA....You bastards type faster than me....Dave...forget the green beer remark

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife loves that manly smell, and mix in a bit of gun-oil, just a dab behind the ears, and she goes wild...

Well, mad anyway.

Matt
What is your secret...which brand of gun oil
I think this is where I am going wrong......I might have to go wake my missus
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Zionist

Taffy...No, St Paddy's day is not an offical holiday...Well...we still go to work if thats what you mean.

We get the Queens birthday off ( I used to in MoD)
Do you get the Presidents birthday off?

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Zionist

We get the Queens birthday off ( I used to in MoD)
Do you get the Presidents birthday off?

Taffy

Negative!!!

I can only speak for myself...I aint no Govt. worker...Days off are as follows....

1) New Years Day
2) Memorial Day (May)
3) July 4th...umm...well you gents are familiar with
4) Labor Day ( Sept.)
5) Thanksgiving (Nov.)
6) Christmas (Dec.)

Wally...The still Mel Gibson and will someone just please make a comment about my new avatar...Jockinese!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#14]
You look beautiful you look blue

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Taffy

Thanks Taffy

You make me feel famous and all...

I'm off to the ice box for more Margarita's on the rocks
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Our own Declaration of Independance was framed around the"Declaration of Arbroarth" of 1320.

Was that the one that promised to be good servants and subjects of the Crown?

ANdy

Why do you have to get so technical...Aside, it worked for us yanks...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Actually, your Constitution was based on the Bill of Rights of 1688 not some Scottish McBraveheart nonsense…

www.dvc.org.uk/~johnny/dunblane/bor1688.pdf

Ahhh...got ya Irish...Read..."Declaration"...not Constitution...

Wally ...the Mel Gbson wannabe and please explain the meaning of Jockinese...Gow III
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Taffy

Thanks Taffy

This one is just for you Zionist (a new avatar perhaps)

Cheers

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Taffy

Thanks Taffy

This one is just for you Zionist (a new avatar perhaps)

www.hunt101.com/img/314352.jpg

Cheers

Taffy

I love ya man...I was very much...
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, mad anyway.

Matt
What is your secret...which brand of gun oil
I think this is where I am going wrong......I might have to go wake my missus

Use LSA, it's the thick creamy stuff (and you can get it by the quart!)
DON'T WAKE HER UP!, first mistake. With enough oil you can go special forces style (in and out with out anyone knowing).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top