Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 1:28:09 AM EDT
Guys

Those of you who know me, are aware I have a couple of fat Bob's Speedmasters.

I am fed up with the heavy stainless steel, bull barrell one and want to change the barrell  for a lighter weight Military style one.

I want it for 600 yard PR shooting and was thinking of a 20 - 22" Barrell and a 1 in 8 twist. I shoot 69grain bullets and am happy with the load.

Does that sound about right?

At least then in the longer distance comps when I have to use it, I won't be knackered in the standing, closer stages

The current barrell is good but just too heavy for unsupported shooting.

Any advice appreciated

Rgds

Stu

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:49:47 AM EDT
[#1]
How about getting the existing one turned down? If it's shooting as good as you say and there's plenty of life left in it, then shortening it is an option. It'll also mean the chamber will still be the same and your load will function just as good, but the velocity will be slightly reduced (but you'll get that anyway with a new shorter barrel).

Failing that get it replaced with a Border - I just happen to know where there are some

If you're only shooting 69gns then a 1:8" should be fine, and 20" over the 22" seems to be a good compromise between slight loss of speed for better balance than the longer barrel. Flash hiders don't make any difference to the shootability, so you won't need it threaded, unless you want a muzzle break or it's a 'really want' situation.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:15:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Hi Matt

Thanks for the response

I don't want the existing turned down as I have a 14" carbine, however this won't stretch out to 600, shoots to 400 fine

How much for one of the Border Barrels???

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:26:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hi Matt

Thanks for the response

I don't want the existing turned down as I have a 14" carbine, however this won't stretch out to 600, shoots to 400 fine

How much for one of the Border Barrels???

You said in the original post that you have a heavy bull barrel. This can be turned to a smaller diameter. If it is already 20" long you won't loose much length, if any, at all (just a bit when it is re-crowned).

The Border button rifled barrels (Archer) are about £300 proofed, depending upon contour etc. IM me if you're interested, as this sort of thing should not really be on the HTF.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:08:02 AM EDT
[#4]
No worries Matt

Will do

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Guys

Those of you who know me, are aware I have a couple of fat Bob's Speedmasters.

I am fed up with the heavy stainless steel, bull barrell one and want to change the barrell  for a lighter weight Military style one.

I want it for 600 yard PR shooting and was thinking of a 20 - 22" Barrell and a 1 in 8 twist. I shoot 69grain bullets and am happy with the load.

Does that sound about right?

At least then in the longer distance comps when I have to use it, I won't be knackered in the standing, closer stages

The current barrell is good but just too heavy for unsupported shooting.

Any advice appreciated

Rgds

Stu

20" max would be your best bet. There's nothing to be gained from a 22" barrel except unweildiness.
As Matt said, if your current barrel is shooting OK, then just put it on a diet.
My latest barrel is 18" and although I've only shot it to 500yds, I'm more than happy with the performance of it

The problem you will have is restricting it to 69's. They're good, but they're not a 600yd bullet. Better to go with 77's or 75's

BTW, a good 16" barrel can shoot as well as a good 18" or 20" barrel at 600yds. You'll lose a little velocity and have to use a bit more wind, but that's why you have turrets on your scope.
But with that said, a 18 or 20 will be your best bet.

Now, I was having a conversation with a very respected barrel maker some months back (Mike Rock).
He was recommending the "QuickLoad" ballistics program and he did the following calculation for me....
With a round loaded with 24.5gns of Reloder15 and a 77gn Sierra, 95% of the charge is burned up at 16.37" of bullet travel down the bore. Make of that what you will, but it's worth considering.
The extra barrel length doesn't give a lot more velocity.

Derrick Martin did some tests (which are in his book) where they compared the velocities between 20 and 27" .223 barrels and the velocity difference was only 107fps on average.

Mark
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Mark

Thanks very much for the information in this reply

It is very much appreciated

Rgds

Stu
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Hi Mark

I have ordered a Douglas 18" 1 in 8 twist ultra match with flash hider

Should be good

Thanks for the advice

Rgds

Stu

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hi Mark

Should be good

Thanks for the advice

Rgds

Stu

Who from?
Was it Fat Bob?

Douglas is a good choice

Mark
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I spoke to Fat Bob yesterday about new barrels. Douglas are superb, really really good barrels, and some SPR's used Douglas in the testing phases, however Bob wanted £340 for them!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I spoke to Fat Bob yesterday about new barrels. Douglas are superb, really really good barrels, and some SPR's used Douglas in the testing phases, however Bob wanted £340 for them!!

During the SPR evaluation tests they trialled Douglas, Schneider and Kreiger barrels.
Douglas came top, followed by Schneider and Kreiger a distant 3rd.
There were actually only 1000 SPR's manufactured and as they wear out, are not being replaced.

Most of my AR's have Douglas barrels and I can't fault them.
Pep, you've made a good choice.
I also have a Schneider too, on my .260. Gary Schneider made it for me personally, and delivered it to me at the AZ Regionals.

There are lots of good barrel makers out there.

£340 isn't unreasonable

Mark
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
£340 isn't unreasonable
Mark

Some people are made of money
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep it is from fat Bob

You only live once

They are supposed to be superb and 18" as Mark said should be bang on the money

(I have just bougt a Leupold Mark 4 to sit on top of it)

Rgds

Stu

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yep it is from fat Bob

You only live once

They are supposed to be superb and 18" as Mark said should be bang on the money

(I have just bougt a Leupold Mark 4 to sit on top of it)

Rgds

Stu

[cough] I meant 20" [/cough]

Mark
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:58:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hi Mark

Should be good

Thanks for the advice

Rgds

Stu

Check twist when you get it.

The last 1:8 Douglas I bought was actually a 1:8.5 and as such it throws 80gn bullets all over the place on hot days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top