Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2022 9:48:59 PM EDT
Hello neighbours!

I’m looking for recommendations on summer vacation spots for my Wife and I.  We would be driving, so proximity to an airport isn’t important.  I’ve only driven through yalls beautiful state, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Things we like:

Mountains

Views

Peace and quiet

Food

Fly fishing

Hiking

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:30:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What part of the state?

The San Juan river is a must if you seek world class fly fishing.
https://www.newmexico.org/listing/san-juan-river/1824/

View Quote

Sorry. Should have added. Any part is fine.  San Juan river would be cool. How are the crowds in the summer? As bad as I’m imagining?
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 1:48:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s been a lot slower the last few years.
It definitely doesn’t draw the crowds it used to.
I’d recommend a guide and float the river. Worth the money. Don’t stay out there. Get a nicer place in Farmington or even Aztec.

From there, you can spend some time in Durango, or Pagosa Springs (a little farther). I hate promoting Colorado, but it’s less than an hour away and there is a lot to do. Beautiful mountains

Chama is also a great place. You can take the train up into Colorado, or spend some time up in the sargents. Great wildlife viewing.
https://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Ed-Sargent-WA-WMA-NMDGF.pdf
View Quote

Thanks for the information!  I'm going to do some research on your suggestions.  I'll get back if I have any questions about any of this.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you'd enjoy Silver City located in the Southwest corner of the state.  It's a two-hour drive from Las Cruces.  You'll take US-180 W out of Deming off I-10 W.  Silver City borders on the three-million acre Gila National Forest.

As you depart, you can either backtrack to Deming and take NM-26 N to I-25 N via Hatch (Chile Capital of the World) or take scenic NM-152 N to catch I-25 N to Albuquerque, Sante Fe, and beyond.

General Information
Visit Silver City
Town of Silver City
Lodging

Not sure about your budget, but the Bear Mountain Lodge is beautiful,
Bear Mountain Lodge
There are a couple of historic hotels right in downtown Silver City including the Palace Hotel and the Murray Hotel,
Murray Hotel
Restaurants

Given that "food" was on your list, here's my ARFCOM Silver City Restaurants thread,
Silver City Restaurants
The following restaurants should be considered a must,
The Jalisco Cafe
The Buckhorn Saloon and Opera House
Revel
There are several other very good restaurants including,
Adobe Springs Cafe (breakfast / lunch)
Corner Kitchen
Diane's Bakery & Deli
Diane's Restaurant
Forrest's Pizza (take out)
Little Toad Creek Brewery & Distillery
Mick's 33 Lounge
All of the restaurants are within walking distance of the downtown hotels with the exception of The Buckhorn (which is well worth the drive).

Skim through my Silver City Restaurants thread for a complete list of recommendations.

Events
Tour of the Gila, April 27 – May 1, 2022

Silver City Blues Festival, Memorial Day Weekend 2022

Clay Festival, July 11 - 17, 2022

Hatch Chile Festival, September 3 - 4, 2022
Other Events
Silver City Events
Note:  You'll be at 6,000' of elevation (minimum).  Train accordingly.

Wherever your travels may take you, I hope you enjoy the Land of Enchantment.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top