Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2022 7:11:54 PM EDT
It’s official.

We got a place in the mountains east of Alamogordo.

Gonna retire there in about 16mo.

Will be in and out often over the intervening time to do some remodeling.

It’s a place that my uncle owned for +/-30 years, but he passed recently and we’ve decided to make our final stand there.

We’ve spent alot of time there, mainly a week at a time vacationing.

No neighbors to speak of, and little through traffic, so will eventually be asking for a bit of advice (not including “don’t move to NM”)

Wish us luck!

P
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 7:55:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CJ7365] [#1]
Welcome!!

Great area, even Alamogordo is a nice town.  I am south about 40 miles, I make regular trips up there to escape the desert heat.

Another conservative for Otero county, hell yeah.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#3]
You’ll love it!

We recently moved up to Colorado, but we lived up in the Ruidoso/Alto area for the past 10 years. Lincoln County is a beautiful place.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks y’all.

surrounded by the Lincoln National Forest, I think only a few private properties in the area.

Enough acreage to shoot 300+ yds. Will have to set up a range.

P
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm up in High Rolls.

If you come out to the local USPSA match, you'll probably see me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Put up some photos of the place.  I'm very jealous.  I left NM back in 2019, and really miss the southwest.  I'm going after two different jobs right now.  One in Phoenix, and the other in Utah.  But were you are would be paradise.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SV650Squid:
I'm up in High Rolls.

If you come out to the local USPSA match, you'll probably see me.
View Quote

PM sent
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm local to the area having been born and raised there.

If you need help getting the place ready I might know some people.   Any trees need to come down I'm pretty skilled in tree removal.

Welcome to the area!
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Property taxes in Otero and Lincoln counties are probably going to much easier to swallow than what you're used to in Texas.

Mountains east of Alamogordo? BEAUTIFUL country.  Make sure you go through the magic tunnel ;)

I live in southern Otero county myself, and I'm in Alamogordo fairly regularly.

The Otero County shooting range is pretty nice, but simple. Memberships are very reasonable. And they're generous hosts to Project Appleseed events there.  It's called the Sidney Paul Gordon Shooting Range.

Vote Vote Vote Vote Vote.

the Otero County Sheriff was just voted western states sheriff of the year.  He lives in High Rolls. Good guy.

Otero is a 2A sanctuary county.

Do you have any particular questions?
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice!

Questions...

where can I find hardwood firewood?
I’m below the treeline, elevation-wise. Nothing but juniper and pinion pine and I don’t think that’s the best indoor burning wood.
I’m tempted to take down a coupla dozen oaks/pecans out back here, and becoming a “wood mogul” out there.

have some peaches, apples, and cherries on the property. We don’t wanna burn those, but usually have more fruit than we can possibly eat.

can shoot in the “yard”. Would like to find another night shooter.

i’ve been spoiled by being able to shoot at our place now, south of Houston; haven’t been to a range in years.

Those weren’t really questions, were they?

P
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:06:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DanielleMorgan] [#11]
No, but that's ok

Everybody up there burns pine, but scrub oak is a menace, and nobody will care if you clear it and cut it down to burn. It should burn hot and slow.

Building your own range, eh?

capable at 300 yards, eh?

hmm...

And I'll be happy to take that excess fruit off your hands lol
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Lol, yes

We’re still a coupla years from a full-time move.

Any help with contractors, to help with renovation, will get you a permanent invite.

The fruit matures soooo much later there, compared to here.

Will certainly let y’all know.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Welcome to the neighborhood.  We are about 22 miles north of Carrizozo on our own bit of the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TXPaulie:
Lol, yes

We’re still a coupla years from a full-time move.

Any help with contractors, to help with renovation, will get you a permanent invite.

The fruit matures soooo much later there, compared to here.

Will certainly let y’all know.
View Quote

Try Parry's Handyman,  915-588-2856
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DanielleMorgan:

Try Parry's Handyman,  915-588-2856
View Quote

Nice.

Headed out tomorrow, should meet him next week

Thanks bunches
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Beautiful weather through the weekend, bit of a breeze today.

Met a local arfcommer, donated some firewood and a Swedish fire log...
burned it last night, before it got windy

Wasn’t aware of the value of shed bull elk antlers, found half a dozen immediately.
There are two dead bulls on the property, only 15-20 yds apart, well decomposing, antlers still attached.
Dunno if lions or poachers, but I imagine poachers would’ve taken the meat and antlers.

P
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 5:47:06 AM EDT
[#17]
man, thats a beautiful area.

Sorry, I’m a little late.  I was a licensed contractor in NM, and still have some contacts out there, they do new builds, but could easily ask my friends still building about reputation or possibly help with any questions about process, costs and what not.

Firewood, check Craigslist in Las Cruces for Pecan.  Used to be able to get it cheap when I live there that way.  

Be sure and stay home and out of Ruidoso and Cloudcroft for bike week if you want peace and quite. Other than that a gorgeous area, hope you enjoy it.

If you roll through SE NM on your journey and need anything let me know.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 5:47:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Sorry, I’m a little late.  I was a licensed contractor in NM, and still have some contacts out there, they do new builds, but could easily ask my friends still building about reputation or possibly help with any questions about process, costs and what not.

Firewood, check Craigslist in Las Cruces for Pecan.  Used to be able to get it cheap when I live there that way.  

Be sure and stay home and out of Ruidoso and Cloudcroft for bike week if you want peace and quite. Other than that a gorgeous area, hope you enjoy it.

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Reno_Raines:

View Quote

You can say that again!

I am having a continuing issue with getting someone up the hill for work.

I’ll be there the week of Memorial Day, hoping to meet up with a potential contractor.

We’re homebodys, and when your home is this awesome, that is very easy

Likely go through El Paso this trip, the Pecos-Carlsbad-Artesia route is painful when oil is booming
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I did get popped for speeding in Hope a coupla trips back. Was tired drivng from Houston, and not alert enough...

Guy came up to my window wearing a mask, and I said “sorry ‘bout yer Governor”. He let me go.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm located in Alamogordo, and moved here after I retired at Ft Bliss at the end of 2022. Looks like there's more ARF members around here than I realized. Maybe we can all get together soon.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Welcome, I'm also a Texan with ties to NM.  My family's place is up outside mountainair, hoping to someday make it home full time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Just north of Carrizozo myself.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks y’all!

Chores mostly done, moving the majority of our household goods next week.

Good to know that Otero Co. seems to be among the reddest in the State, as am I.

Also good to know that there’s no shortage of arfcommers about.

P
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top