Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 8:41:22 PM EDT
I woke up that day to go to work while the events were still transpiring. No one new what happened and about 5 minutes after turning on the tube the second plane hit.

Just sat there in disbelief and horror until I had to go.
Went to work, Big 5 in Sante Fe at the time, and all I sold all morning was guns and ammo. No one who came in said much but you could tell, we were all hurting.

Ended up going to a Big O to get a flat repaired on my lunch break. Met an older gentleman there who wept openly while sitting and waiting for his vehicle. At that time I couldn't process anything still and only new that if I didn't have a wife and kid on the way (neither of which worked out) I would be in the military the next day. I was mad at myself that I couldn't and didn't go join up anyhow.

Remember and never forget. Tell your kids, even if they are old enough to remember on their own. Tell your friends, even if they are smart enough to remember on their own. Remember. And never forget.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#1]
USS Kearsarge - floating off the coast of Turkey, as part of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit.  It was around 1700 if I recall and the first report was a small passenger plane hit a tower.  The TVs were coming in and out, but I was able to watch the first tower fall.  As you can imagine, things spun up quick from there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#2]
In Arizona cleaning dog kennels actually. My supervisor came and got me and all of us on duty were called in to the conference room.
We watched the news feed of the first tower getting hit. Our Commander gave us a speech, we then were put on a raised alert level.

The next two years were all a blur, but I was proud to be able to do my part.

I will never forget!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:14:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Just pulled up to work and heard in on the radio.  I didn't catch it all because I just shut off my truck.  When I walked into work my boss was jaw to the floor staring at the TV. She couldn't say anything just tapped my arm and pointed to the TV.  I watched the events on and off as I was in and out of the office.

It was also the Day I got my Mission call to go to Washington State for 2 years.

I will not forget.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:05:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Was at work when we got the word.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I was at work when the boss runs out onto the dining room floor and yells "We've just been attacked!". Then the rest of the cooks and I start frantically looking for a perp in the back when the boss said it was in New York and he turned the tv in the office on right when the second tower got hit. We didn't listen to music in the dining room all day, just tuned into the radio for updates. Very little else happened that day.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:08:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I was living in Santa Fe, and working as an electrician  at the labs in Los Alamos. However I had to do a 2 week
stint at the base in Alb. working night shift on a remodel job.  I was at home and  in bed asleep about an hour and
a half when my mom called. When I turned the tv on the first tower had been hit but not the second one. I guess I was still
a little loopy because until the second one was hit, I still hadn't quite wrapped my mind around it being a concerted effort
of more than a couple of suicidal assholes.

Not only will I never forget but I am reminded constantly by the bullshit going on daily by some goatfucker or HE that sets in
the whitehouse (when he's not on vacation or appeasing to some other fucking raghead).
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Thanks VB

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember it well.  I was listening to the radio in the truck while my wife was at a job interview.  It was WTF!  Even I had previously figured out skyjacking airplanes and flying them into buildings (such as the Capital and the Pentagon and I had even mentioned it to the wife) was an easy way to hit us.  So where in the hell were all of our so called terrorist experts in charge of preventing such things?  
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Was driving home from work (night shift) and heard that a plane had hit the first tower.  

Got home, turned on the boobtube to see the second one slam in.

I didn't get any sleep that day, but went in to work that night.

Those images are still burned into the back of my skull.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I was working as search and rescue 1st reponse/ avalanche data collector on Mt Washington in the Presidential range in NH.  I was living with no electricity or water, 2.5 miles from the nearest road.  I had a solar panel to charge a car battery to run a CB radio.  

They called me from base and said:
"I've got good news and bad news, which do you want 1st?"
I replied, "Good news, I guess"
Then they said "The good news is no one is hurt, missing or even camping overnight in the region."
"and the bad news...?"
"Oh, terrorists have mounted an attack on the US by hijacking planes and hitting the twin towers, the pentagon and one plane is missing..."

WTF???

I spent the rest of the next few days, sitting on the roof of the cabin trying to get radio reception so I could follow the news... and trying to call my dad.
My dad was supposed to be on the United flight from Chicago.  His trip had been cancelled at the very last minute.  I didn't find out until late that afternoon that he wasn't on that plane.

I was ready to pack my things and go volunteer as a medic there, but then word came back through the EMS community that there weren't enough living survivors to warrant medics being there... even my friends who were medics and MDs that went just collected body parts and tried to put them back together to give the families some peace.  

Those folks were never the same, nor will I be.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Teaching my morning class @ SJC, the Auto instructor came in and told us about the first plane. Turned on the TV and watched as the second one went in. we all were just awestruck that someone would do that. I remember crying harder than I had since I was a kid, to this day I still well up at the sight of that atrocity.
Do not Forget, Flags at half staff tomorrow, Do not forget, what they did, Do Not forget, they can and will do it again unless we are vigilant!
No mosque on that hallowed ground or within that zone of sorrow!  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I promise that I won't forget. I'm ready.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#14]
At work trying to train a pinhead coworker how to work equipment. Hear about multiple plane strikes in New York.

Went outside and thought how odd, no planes in the air.  

I won't ever forget, and as long as I am alive, I won't let the PC crowd change the facts.

I tell my kids all the facts, filling in the gaps and "mistakes" their teachers make about the events of that day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top