Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2010 7:37:51 AM EDT

Link
CNN) –– Mexican authorities searching a man with a bulge under his shirt at the airport in the nation's capital found 18 monkeys hidden beneath his clothes, police said.

Investigators grew suspicious after Roberto Sol Cabrera Zavaleta, 38, became "markedly nervous" when asked what he was transporting, Mexico's Public Safety Department said.

Two of the tiny titi monkeys he was carrying in a belt were dead, the department said in a statement, and 16 of them survived the journey from Lima, Peru.

Cabrera has been detained as authorities continue their investigation, the statement said.

In an interview with authorities released by police, Cabrera said he first carried the monkeys in his suitcase, but then hid the animals in his clothes so they would not be harmed by X-ray machines at the airport.

Video: Man hides 18 monkeys under shirt Cabrera described the animals as "pets" and told authorities he had purchased them for $30.

Titi monkeys are protected endangered species requiring a permit for possession, police said.

Images released by police show the tiny creatures, many of which are tied up in pouches, squirming in a cardboard box.

It takes a special type of crazy to stuff 18 monkeys in your clothes. And a dash of creepiness to keep walking around after two of them have died.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Some peoples kids....
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm.  Two dead monkeys.  

Chilled monkey brain, anyone?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hmm.  Two dead monkeys.  

Sorry Indy. Not for me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hmm.  Two dead monkeys.  

Only if I can hava Hatch green chilis with em!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hmm.  Two dead monkeys.  

Nah, if they've been dead for 45 mins or longer the raw brains just don't have that fresh zesty kick.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Video: Man hides 16 monkeys and 8 good luck charms  under shirt Cabrera described the animals as
"pets" and told authorities he had purchased them for $30.

I fix it - I fix it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Video: Man hides 16 monkeys and 8 good luck charms  under shirt Cabrera described the animals as "pets" and told authorities he had purchased them for $30.

I fix it - I fix it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top