Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked New Mexico Firearm Laws (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By castiel:

fixed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By castiel:
Originally Posted By CQW:
You may not carry where hard liquor is sold by the drink, you may CONCEAL carry in a restaurant with a beer & wine license that derives the majority of their income from food sales. A brew pub won't cut it.

fixed

Correct. Nice catch.
As usual with the law, the devil is in the details.

-Lee
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:03:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EagleArmsHBAR] [#2]
Are there any weird laws on how much ammunition you may have stored or types of ammunition that are illegal?

And did I just read you can't carry a loaded pistol if you have a CHL?

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:09:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yipykyah_mf] [#3]
Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:
Are there any weird laws on how much ammunition you may have stored or types of ammunition that are illegal?

View Quote

No law on how much ammo you can own.  But, if the cops come to your house for some screwy reason, and they search your stuff, you will be on the nightly news for having an arsenal and 'gazillions' of rounds of ammo IF you own more than one gun and have a box of .22lr.  Don't know about you, but that would make me proud.

On the 2nd question:  WTF are you reading?  The Onion or Huffington Post?

Only thing about carrying concealed, is you can only carry 'one' concealed.  If you feel the need to have more than one gat on you, carry the 2nd in the open (we have open carry here) or carry the 2nd one empty.  An empty firearm is NOT considered a weapon here.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By yipykyah_mf:

No law on how much ammo you can own.  But, if the cops come to your house for some screwy reason, and they search your stuff, you will be on the nightly news for having an arsenal and 'gazillions' of rounds of ammo IF you own more than one gun and have a box of .22lr.  Don't know about you, but that would make me proud.

Only thing about carrying concealed, is you can only carry 'one' concealed.  If you feel the need to have more than one gat on you, carry the 2nd in the open (we have open carry here) or carry the 2nd one empty.  An empty firearm is NOT considered a weapon here.

View All Quotes

So can you carry an empty pistol into a school or bar?

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#5]
View All Quotes

Good question.  The definition of an unloaded pistol is that it is not a weapon.  Would I want to be the first to have to litigate it?  No.  Hell, no.  Hell freakin', no.

Are the laws here written like a drunk monkey wrote them?  Yes.

Conceal it correctly and you will never stand in front of the judge.  Unless you have to use it.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:40:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Good question.  The definition of an unloaded pistol is that it is not a weapon.  Would I want to be the first to have to litigate it?  No.  Hell, no.  Hell freakin', no.

Conceal it correctly and you will never stand in front of the judge.  Unless you have to use it.

View All Quotes

The law concerning carrying into a school are such that the gun must be rendered inoperable, e.g. firing pin removed and left at home. You may only do so for 'exhibition' purposes iirc.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#7]
What is the purchase process for handguns, for rifles, for shotguns?

I think it is Federal law that an instant background check (NICS) is required.  

Are there waiting periods before you can take possession of the firearms?
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:23:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castiel] [#8]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

View Quote

NICS check and take the gun home as soon as the check says you're good.  No waiting, and also no exception if you have a CCL like some states
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

View Quote

NICS if you are buying from a dealer.  Cash and carry if you are buying from a private citizen.  Although, a bill of sale is a wise option if you don't know the person.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#10]
State parks rule change. CC now allowed, no open carry with cartridge in weapon.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#11]
What if my permit is not honored by NM ?
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
What if my permit is not honored by NM ?
View Quote
New Mexico and Georgia do not have reciprocity with each other.  Your CHL is invalid in New Mexico.  Just open carry when you are here.  Or, conceal it correctly and fuggetabowtit.  Illegally concealing a loaded handgun in the state of NM is a petty misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#13]
How about AR pistols? Does NM frown on them?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By txgringo:
How about AR pistols? Does NM frown on them?
View Quote
They are GTG.....
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 3:37:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Quickva] [#15]
Your laws remind me of the VA I used to know. And if things don’t go well and IF, A BIG IF, I can separate my wife from her parents, then I’d love to hang my hat, no not Tenn. New Mayhico
Not picking on Tenn. they do have 3/4 republican legislator, and all federal elected office republican too.

How the HVAC jobs doing out there?
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 4:46:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OODA_Loop] [#16]
Are person-to-person private sales without FFL transfer still legal in NM, between residents?

Thank you.

Edit:  never mind. I see you’ve lost that right. I’m sorry.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#17]
On the list of States' whose permits New Mexico honors, Florida is on that list.
Does New Mexico distinguish between resident and non-resident permits?
And does residency affect reciprocity?

The reason I ask is because sometimes residency does affect whether or not a permit is honored and there is the additional wrinkle in the case of Florida's permit is that unlike most states' permits, Florida's CFL does NOT list any address information about the license holder on the permit.

So, for me, I'm simply trying to clarify.  If I travel to New Mexico, and plan to carry a concealed handgun under my Florida permit (I'm a resident of Pennsylvania), am I good to go?  (and I don't mean to jail!  )
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Tacked New Mexico Firearm Laws (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top