Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2006 8:59:00 AM EDT
I may have the possibility of relocating to NM between the south part of Albq. to Belen. My job would take me along all of those areas along I-25.

I am coming from South Florida where 1.25 acres of land now is $282K so I think it would be affordable for me. Any suggestions, I am actually looking for 20-30 acres as close to the city as possible where it is still affordable, possibly Las Lunas ?

How long of a drive is it from Belen into the city ? My wife is a nurse so I don't want her to be too far from work places and I do have a 5 year old son so schools are a bit of a concern.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Bosque farms NM is just 15min south of ABQ, very nice area.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have called several real estate agents and it seems that the area prices are just as expensive as where I live (the main reason I am leaving). It was suggested that I look at Tijeras and South 14 but I don't know if they will allow me to live there and work in the area that need me.

I e-mailed the local manager to see if they would allow me to live out there (I got a company truck and have to work on-call) but it ain't looking too good right now.

Rich
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:24:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to live in Tijeras/S14.  If you can put up with 2 feet of snow in Feb and 65 degrees in August you'll love it.  Big trees, bears, deer all over up there
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow.. I knew it was high but did not know that the snow would be that much just outside of the metro area. Yea.. I guess I can live with it, I grew up in the north east just been out of it for 15 years!

Tell me... in that area would there be any difficulty shooting on your own property ? If I end up there I plan on 15-30 acres. In most parts of the country it's OK as long as you are 100 yards away from your neighbor...execept for where I live now. No shooting east of a demarcation line in the county which I live over 30 miles east from!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I just moved to Belen a year ago, so let me give you some newcomer's observations.

Crime in Belen is rather high. Lots of unemployment, some gang activity. (But coming from Los Angeles, it ain't so bad!) Parts of Belen are better than others... south of, say, Reinken, it gets rough. Don't go there without (a) a BIG gun with LOTS of ammo, or (b) a very good reason. Especially at night.

I am currently in the process of buying a doublewide, a HUD repo. Price: $42,000. It is on the east side of Hwy. 47 so it's not in the bullet belt. Yet.

Tijeras is very, very pretty. It's on the east side of the mountains, has lots more snow/water/etc, and lots of trees.

Los Lunas: there are still houses left... a typical 3-4 bedroom, 2 bath, good-sized house can be found for less than $120,000 if you look for awhile.

Bosque Farms is a nice area, but very restrictive... covenants and such... also rather expen$ive. (Be sure you are talking about the town of Bosque Farms, not the town of Bosque which is about 50 miles to the south.)

If you wish, I can give you the name of  a terrific real estate saleslady. She's very honest, dependable, and 'top of her game.' IM me.

And good luck, Neighbor.

BTW: your FLA CCW is recognized in NM now! But plan to get your NM CCW when you get here!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wow.. I knew it was high but did not know that the snow would be that much just outside of the metro area. Yea.. I guess I can live with it, I grew up in the north east just been out of it for 15 years!

Tell me... in that area would there be any difficulty shooting on your own property ? If I end up there I plan on 15-30 acres. In most parts of the country it's OK as long as you are 100 yards away from your neighbor...execept for where I live now. No shooting east of a demarcation line in the county which I live over 30 miles east from!

If you have plenty of property, w/o neighbors close by, its OK. But the area you are talking about is getting 'citified' so you wouldn't be able to shoot on your property.

Now, my sister has a vacation home (where I'm living right now) 9 miles south of Belen... I go out the front door and my targets are already set up!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:51:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:59:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Recreational shooting in Tijeras (anywhere in Bern county) is frowned upon but I think there is a range in Moriarty or Edgewood.  There is a public range on the West side that looked deserted every time I drove by, no auto though.

I just sold a 5400 sq ft log home on 3 ac in Tijeras for $510K.  In my opinion, I gave it away but I have already relocated to TN. I sure miss the sunshine.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top