Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 4:05:36 PM EDT
I got a job offer in Albuquerque and I was wondering if there was anybody from there on here??  I would like to get info on cost of living, How is the hunting and shooting there??
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Hunting and shooting in NM is very good.

As for cost, it is low, other than the cost of real estate (relative to wages in ABQ). However, many people are moving here from California and are finding that the equity they have in their CA homes will buy much more than they are used to.  Do you mind if I ask what company extended the offer to you?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Hi Joey,

Albuquerque has a nice city-run shooting range west of the city, as well as three or four (depending on if you count the trap guys) active local clubs with ranges. There's a for-profit indoor range as well. Hunting is okay here, although you now have to draw for just about everything.

ABQ is expensive compared to the MidWest, in my experience, and somewhat expensive compared to the parts of Texas where I have friends (Abilene, Lubbock, DFW area). Food seems to cost more, real estate is considerably more (as Jetmaker mentioned there are a lot of Californios with cash money coming to buy houses, and it's presently a seller's market), and guns are more.

I've lived in Albuquerque since June of '88 (except for a year or so that I was off prosecuting in the Four Corners), and I'd be happy to talk to you about the city and the area in detail. Feel free to IM or email me and I'll send you my phone number.

cheers, erich
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I got a job offer in Albuquerque

I would give my left arm to get back to ABQ.  A job offer would end all delays of getting back, as work is what keeps me living elsewhere.  What I'm saying is that ABQ is a good choice.  It has the drawbacks of any big city, but I'd go in a heartbeat.  I grew up hunting all over NM and it looks like the Zia Shooting Range in ABQ will live for some time.  It's a great range.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I moved from the PRK (Peepul's Republik of Kalifornia) to NM a year ago. I am in the process of buying a double-wide for $42K. (This is in Belen, abt. 30 miles south of Albuquirky.)
Prices are a little wierd compared to Lost Angeles... cable & DSL is more expensive in comparison (because there's no competition). Some things are cheaper... NM has a lower gasoline tax than California so the price of gas is lower, currently about $2.30 average, $2.11 at Costco (across from the Sams Club; they are having a gas war).
Rental prices are  lower than Lost Angeles. You will pay $750 or so for the apartment I paid $1000 for in L.A.
Gude luck!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]
joey

Albuquerque is not that bad.  Cost of living is cheaper than most citiies I've lived in.  Right now, buying a house is easy.  Most apartment complexes are having price wars, due to lack of tenants. Lots of new homes being built on west mesa, and not enough buyers.  Shooting is great.  Zia R and P just south of town ($120 a year membership), city range west of town $6 a day to shoot there, and lots of area to shoot out in the desert north and south of town (just gotta make sure you're not on a reservation.  

Great industry here as far as electronics.  Inhel has a major facility in Rio Ranchoo
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would give my left arm to get back to ABQ.  A job offer would end all delays of getting back

APD will hire anyone, as long as you've never been convicted of a felony
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would give my left arm to get back to ABQ.  A job offer would end all delays of getting back

Yeah, I was very close to doing that when I graduated from UNM in'95, but they were paying something like $10-11 an hour.  I respect the hell out of folks who do the work, but you can make that kind of money tending a laundromat.  Any idea what they pay these days?  I hope you're not serious about the low standard for new officers.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I was very close to doing that when I graduated from UNM in'95, but they were paying something like $10-11 an hour.  I respect the hell out of folks who do the work, but you can make that kind of money tending a laundromat.  Any idea what they pay these days?  I hope you're not serious about the low standard for new officers.

Nope, he's serious.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#9]
At one time I thought they were requiring a college degree: I guess not anymore.

Here's their recruiting page:
www.apdonline.com/index_flash.shtml
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Requirements to be a APD officer

# Must be 21 years of age by graduation from the Academy.
# Must have a valid driver's license.
# Must be a United States citizen.
# Must have a high school diploma or equivalent (GED).
# Must not have committed a misdemeanor within the last 3 years.
# Must not have used an illegal drug (i.e. LSD) within the last 3 years.
# Must not have used marijuana within the last 2 years.
# Must not have committed a DWI within the last 3 years whether from an administrative sanction by a Motor Vehicle Department, a criminal conviction or a military disciplinary action.
# Must not have committed multiple DWIs within the last 10 years whether from an administrative sanction by a Motor Vehicle Department, a criminal conviction or a military disciplinary action.
# No felony convictions        

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with those requirements.

What's your point with the sad faces?

No kidding, those are some LOOSE conditions for employment, especially in LE.  2 years for pot?  3 years for illegal drugs and DUI?  Etc., etc.  I have a couple friends with foreign wives and that alone makes me sweat my clearance!  A GED is fine, too?  Wow.

ETA:  Maybe the sad faces were due to his disappointment in the lower standards?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:08:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:52:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

ETA:  Maybe the sad faces were due to his disappointment in the lower standards?

thats it, those standards are as low as you can get. APD Had Issues when they had the  military/college requirements I cant imagine what its like now I do love albuquerque with all my heart but I could never live there again unless I won the lotto
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#15]
And I thought you posted that because you were ineligable for employment.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And I thought you posted that because you were ineligable for employment.

Same here.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top