Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 6:37:25 PM EDT
Just heard this on TV, looks like it will be on tonights news.  Anyone have any further info on this?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:23:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I know that a teen was shot by a Las Cruces Police Officer in the early hours of Thursday. That teen had been burglurizing cars, no carjacking involved. Here is the story, maybe your story is something else?

Las Cruces Officer Shoots 16-Year-Old Suspect

Journal Staff Report
     Las Cruces police shot a 16-year-old suspected auto burglar in a residential neighborhood early Thursday and arrested another 16-year-old suspect later in the day, police said.
   Estaquio Olivas was arrested at his home on Las Alturas Street around 5:30 p.m. Thursday, said Lt. Todd Gregory of the Las Cruces Police Department.
   Olivas was charged with two counts of auto burglary, conspiracy to commit a fourth-degree felony and probation violation, Gregory said.
   The shooting victim, whose name was being withheld by police until charges can be filed, remained at Thomason Hospital in El Paso with a gunshot wound to his upper left torso, according to Gregory, who said the wounded youth's condition as of Thursday night was "guarded."
   Officer Mark Nevarez, 36, was placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation of his role in the shooting, Gregory said.
   Gregory said some residents in the neighborhood of Sierra Middle School called sometime after 2 a.m. to report two people breaking into cars. When police arrived, the two tried to hide, but Officer Nevarez found them, Gregory said.
   The still-unnamed youth was shot some time before 3 a.m. in the 1100 block of Birch Street, while Olivas eluded capture. Police cordoned off the neighborhood from about 2:30 a.m. and a SWAT team took over from 4:30 a.m. to about 9 a.m., to look for the second youth, Gregory said.
   Students at nearby Sierra Middle School got to their classes without disruption, Gregory said.
   Olivas was arrested later in the day after police learned of his identity and staked out his residence, Gregory said. He was arrested without incident.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe it is the same story.  This will teach me not to get my news from the 10 second news previews.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top