Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2005 11:46:15 PM EDT
So I'm interested in visiting the Trinity Test site in October.

www.atomictourist.com/trinity.htm

Any of you folks been there, is there anything else interesting to do while I'm in that neck of the woods?

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been down there - I felt it was worth the trip from Albuquerque. In that neck of the woods (probably an hour or more away) is the Very Large Array (West of Socorro), which is pretty neat, too. (You can make a geek day of it! ) It wasn't the best day of my life, but Trinity was pretty cool, and the VLA is a good thing to do with family if you're in the area.

There are two restaurants in San Antonio (W and N of Trinity Site, if you come in from the N and not from Alamogordo), the original Owl Bar (famous for the green chile cheeseburgers it's been serving since before the bomb) and another one (the name of which escapes me). The "other one" is actually pretty darn good.

If you're a green chile fan, some of the best in NM is grown in Lemitar (just N of Socorro) - my wife and I make sure we get ours from a farm there every year.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#2]
The other restaurant in San Antonio is The Buckhorn.  Damn, now I want to go down and get a burger.  Almost worth the hour + drive.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Concerning the "Owl Cafe" hamburgers, at least one nationwide survey in the past has listed it as the best hamburger in America. I cannot attest to that fact because I have never eaten one and besides I always thought that I made the best hamburger in the USA.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Both the Owl and Buckhorn make an amazing burger.  Personally, I like the Owl's a little better.  I stop off for one every time I am anywhere near Socorro.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:29:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Be sure and pick up some trinitite.    

It's still very radioactive, but you're gonna die someday anyway.

Turn it into jewelry, give it to an ex-girlfriend as a parting gift.   Or, perhaps to a nasty coworker as a paperweight.   Or, sew it into a baseball cap, for a friend that makes fun of your receeding hairline.

Geez, there's no end to the usefulness of that stuff.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top