Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2022 6:02:08 PM EDT
Wife and I are looking to get out of the suburbs and buy some land with a house on it. My main criteria is that I have to be able to shoot guns on my own property.

Who do I need to contact (officials, etc) to confirm that certain properties can be shot on?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You would have to look at what jurisdiction your property is located in and the laws that apply.
Outside a city limit is preferable, as many 'cities' prohibit discharge of a firearm within their limits.
Counties are a bit better and some don't have any restrictions except for state law.
Usually there is a distance from a road or other occupied structure.
Common sense also dictates you should have a sufficient backstop so that projectiles don't go whizzing off into never-never land.
Typically you shouldn't have to contact anyone... they will contact you once the shooting starts... via a sheriff visit... so don't be surprised or intimidated.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You would have to look at what jurisdiction your property is located in and the laws that apply.
Outside a city limit is preferable, as many 'cities' prohibit discharge of a firearm within their limits.
Counties are a bit better and some don't have any restrictions except for state law.
Usually there is a distance from a road or other occupied structure.
Common sense also dictates you should have a sufficient backstop so that projectiles don't go whizzing off into never-never land.
Typically you shouldn't have to contact anyone... they will contact you once the shooting starts... via a sheriff visit... so don't be surprised or intimidated.
View Quote

Pretty much what he said. As long as you don't hit someone's house or livestock, away from a main road and not near a subdivision, you're generally good. County sheriff may come over, but in my experience its just them to show the concerned citizen they showed up and nothing more.

A local gunshop to me has some property they often shoot on right behind their shop. There's a nearby subdivision that more often than not, like calling the police on this business over "gunshots" they heard. Just about every instance the police came into the shop, they ask the owner if he or someone he gave permission to was shooting behind the shop. Owner would say "yeah i am yada yada", and the police would pretty much say "mm, okay" and walk out and drive off to another call elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#3]
It is apparently illegal to shoot in a platted registered subdivision even if not in the city.
Even if the lots are 10 acres.
Yes I lost the third lawsuit.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It is apparently illegal to shoot in a platted registered subdivision even if not in the city.
View Quote

Shit. Looks like my plans have to change. Do you remember what law they quoted?
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative, too much time and a move.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

First Im hearing about this for our state. Where abouts did this happen at? I live in Lonoke County down by the Little Rock area and haven't heard of this one. I live across the street from a subdivision and have shot on my property...but I've always used a suppressor on my stuff and I don't shoot daily/weekly on my property to have someone raise an issue against me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Sebastian county
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top