Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2021 3:13:40 PM EDT
I like to hike, climb and shoot (duh).  I never have and never will vote D.  I'm "live and let live" and always vote to expand liberty. I'm thinking northwest and north-central are the areas for me (I heard that's where all the out-of-state people go).  I have a friend/neighbor moving back there near Bentonville.  He's from AR and likes it.  I've also seen pics (nice looking climbing and hiking areas), understand that you're gun restrictions are minimal, areas of blue are few, and cost of living/taxes are low.  I was born in GA, and lived in NC, TX and W MI.  I have no Kali or NY tendencies, but also don't have any use for theocrats.  

I probably need to live near a decent sized, but not necessarily big city since I'm a white collar guy - mechanical enginerd.  I can do a chunk of my work remotely, too.  I would also like to avoid an area where shit heels feel entitled to make themselves at home on my land because they and their granddad always hunted there.  That's not a deal breaker, though.  

Your 2 cents are appreciated.  Thanks for reading.

UBG

PS - I heard something on the news about a month ago that AR is offering $10k and a mountain bike to people who move there.  I don't want that.  You guys need to find out who's behind that, smack them and put a stop to it.  It's not the govt's job and is likely to bring more nannyists to your state.  See, told ya I'm not a statist.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#1]
There are no "big cities" in Arkansas.  The population of Washington/Benton Counties is 450k.  Most any of the cities will have services comparable to a bigger city.

Depending on what you are looking for there are rural areas within 30-60 minutes where you can find acreage for a reasonable price.  If you compare to CO it will be dirt cheap.  $10-20K/ acre.

Regarding ME work mostly you will find building/Architectural type work.  There won't be a lot of other ME work in the area.

The north central area is much lower density population wise and not many cities of more than 10k people.  

I moved to Fayetteville in 1971 for college and have lived here most of the time since.  Feel free to ask more questions
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Stevec223.  Yeah, I should have not said "big city."  LOL.  I do manufacturing and process engineering, and I also still do some HVAC/building systems (I've done a bunch).  I have my PE, and it shouldn't be too much of a pain to get licensed in another state.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, Stevec223.  Yeah, I should have not said "big city."  LOL.  I do manufacturing and process engineering, and I also still do some HVAC/building systems (I've done a bunch).  I have my PE, and it shouldn't be too much of a pain to get licensed in another state.
View Quote

Reciprocity isn't too bad.  Pain to list all the different experience if you have worked awhile.  Otherwise just paperwork.  I did mine that way back in 1993 from TX.

NW AR has a lot of consulting engineering firms.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
NW Arkansas is probably where you need to be looking.
Fort Smith river valley area also.
I have homes both places due to grandkids.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I heard something on the news about a month ago that AR is offering $10k and a mountain bike to people who move there.  I don't want that.  You guys need to find out who's behind that, smack them and put a stop to it.  It's not the govt's job and is likely to bring more nannyists to your state.  See, told ya I'm not a statist.  
View Quote

That's the Walton (of Walmart fame) grandkids pushing/funding that. If you end up moving here, I'd look into taking them up on the offer.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responses so far.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Apparently the $10k offer is real.  I am not sure if you plan to make the move in time.

Move to NW Arkansas and get $10k
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I am seling a house on 35 acres in sharp county for 110k and it has a 100 yard range already built and I will throw in a shotgun and some ammo
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I moved here from that rat race 4 years ago this month. Best decision of my life.

I live in central AR and have no problem driving a few hours in either direction to find some fun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am seling a house on 35 acres in sharp county for 110k and it has a 100 yard range already built and I will throw in a shotgun and some ammo
View Quote

Thanks.  LOL about the shotgun and ammo.  That area looks like a good out of the way location.  When I did a search, I saw a blurb on Sharp County's history.  I'm guessing that it changed at least a little and I'll keep it in mind.  Anyway, I'm at least a year out, so don't wait for me to sell.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very tempting. I would like to be a bit closer to Mt Home though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 1:11:46 AM EDT
[#12]
We're full. Don't waste your time.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We're full. Don't waste your time.

View Quote

Did you want me to send some actual Kalifornians?  That's how I interpreted your post.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I grew up and lived in WA state for about 31 years.

We sold our house ~60m N of Seattle and moved ~30m N of Little Rock 2 years ago in April and have 0 regrets about it, our young (3&7) Daughters enjoy it too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top