Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 9:00:11 AM EDT
Anyone know?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a municipal facility (owned and operated by the City of Little Rock). Virtually all municipal facilities are "no carry" zones whether posted or not. Ark. Code Ann. 5-73-122.

I am there almost every weekend with my son and have never felt like I needed a weapon.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It is a municipal facility (owned and operated by the City of Little Rock). Virtually all municipal facilities are "no carry" zones whether posted or not. Ark. Code Ann. 5-73-122.

I am there almost every weekend with my son and have never felt like I needed a weapon.
View Quote
You do realize that people don't go where they expect to need a gun, don't you? ( we ain't talkin 'bout huntin' here) The whole point of carrying a weapon is in the UNLIKELY event that you WILL need it. Just remember, everyone that has ever been murdered was a first timer and almost always taken by surprise.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]
arkfroader, you thinking of hitting Boo at the Zoo?
A lot of references to 5-73-122 also mention the AG's opinion from Mike Beebe which can be read here:

http://ag.arkansas.gov/opinions/docs/2003-244.html
Question 1 – In light of A.C.A. § 5-73-122 and A.C.A. § 5-73-306, as
amended by Act 1110 of 2003, is it currently lawful for a person with a
concealed handgun permit pursuant to A.C.A. § 5-73-301 et seq. to carry a
concealed handgun in a municipal park in Arkansas?
It is my opinion that it is currently lawful for a person who has a
concealed handgun permit issued under the authority of A.C.A. § 5-73-301
et seq. to carry a concealed handgun in a municipal park in Arkansas
unless the municipality has prohibited the carrying of handguns in the
park by the posting of signs, as discussed in response to Question 3.
View Quote

For reference, 5-73-122 includes "municipal park" in the definition of "facility"
5-73-122.  Carrying a firearm in publicly owned buildings or facilities.

(a)  (4) As
used in this section, "facility" means a municipally owned or
maintained park, football field, baseball field, soccer field, or
another similar municipally owned or maintained recreational structure
or property.
View Quote

I couldn't find anything that indicates this has changed under McDaniel, but I also could not find anything indicating that McDaniel supports that opinion. Most current references to carrying in parks that I find are still centered on defeating attempts by cities or counties to post parks as off-limits or enact laws to prohibit carry in parks.

That sounds to me like BeeBe's opinion or something else that I'm missing still allows for carry in parks, which would include the zoo. So unless it is properly posted my non-lawyer self will continue to carry there.

Someone please set my non-lawyer self straight if I am way off on this.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:49:58 AM EDT
[#4]
For the record, it isn't posted.

I'll leave interpretation up to the carrier.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I really thought it was posted last time we were there, roughly 2012. I could be mistaken, thinking of Memphis, or both.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the record, it isn't posted.

I'll leave interpretation up to the carrier.

I really thought it was posted last time we were there, roughly 2012. I could be mistaken, thinking of Memphis, or both.

Memphis shouldn't be posted for sure!  lol
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:45:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I think Memphis was as of last spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top