Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2013 7:04:26 AM EDT
Had a great time once again in NWA....lots of critters ...took my boys out, one with bow, the other during special youth season and he managed a nice doe, shot with a Macmillan stocked Rem 308 ltr.  One shot of 168 mexican match at 80 yds....all done.

I think because of the close range in the heavy timber and bush, I may bring a 300 whisper next time.  Anyone else use one of these for deer? Full house or subs.? I just think it fits.  I really like it here..off to Plumblee's for new tires.. Best tire shop ever , just outside Mountain Home...

My two proud boys..the things memories are made of.

Used the new deadshot rest for the youngster..worked just ok..still kinda shaky..but sure helped with the recoil and heavy rifle

all done
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#1]
cool congrats on his first deer. very cool. sweet looking rifle to.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks bud, young fella was pretty proud. Rifle is a Rem 700 LTR, .308, restocked in a Mcmillan A5 .  Scope is a Leupold MK4 M3, 3.5X10. (the one with the BDC).which by the way is right on the money out to 500yds.  Its zeroed with issue federal 168gr match.  I pull the bullets and use Combined technology 168gr hunting bullets for WT's.  works great and no zero shift..
Good set up..Is threaded for a can also..
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for posting. That first deer is always a special event. I know that mine certainly was.

BTW: There is no need to pull those match bullets and replace them. They are devastating on light, thin skinned game.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#4]
HBR...thanks for the note....I tend to agree with you..with these smaller critters..a 168 HPBTM would do the trick, although I have never used one on a game animal.  I change to the hunting bullets, because I like that LTR in the truck, and it shoots that "Mexican Match", so well.  I wouldnt shoot a 200 lb + mulie or whitetail in my neck of the woods with a match bullet...Just dosent sit well.  Another combo I have used for years is pulling the 62 gr 5.56 bulet and replacing with a Nosler 60 SP.  They have a little bevel on the bullet base and replace the SS109 perfectly, no shaving at bullet base.  And they shoot like a house on fire..lol..good cheap practice or coyote pills.  The 60gr's will stabilize in older 1x12 barrels..where as the 62 SS109 wont..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top