Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2011 5:50:30 PM EDT
Ive been thinking about going on a 2-3 night hike once it cools down a little more. I know a few ppl did it last year but if anyone is interest lets get something together.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm planning one with scouts just after Christmas. It wont be scout related so we'll be able to carry.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm planning one with scouts just after Christmas. It wont be scout related so we'll be able to carry.

Well that doesnt do me any good. Im not going camping with <18 y/o boys.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in I'll send you my number.

Culley
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]
You know I'm in
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I may be interested, what location you thinking of?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:29:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I may be interested, what location you thinking of?

Not really sure yet. supplex had mentioned the ozark highlands trail, and i know there is no shortage of places to pick from.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#7]
That sounds like fun. Wish we had more available time this fall.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#8]
How about Eagle Rock Loop? Its a good 3 day hike at 26 miles.

Culley
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/hiking/backpacking/

Backpacking trails.  

Anymore input?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I might be in. When are we looking at doing it?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#11]
first, there are a couple of points to go over and decide upon imo. lets fill in some variables and see what works

1. ralley point (ie little rock, hot springs, ft smith, etc. maybe a members place to stash cars. for that matter, we can bounce from my place and hike to the OHT within an hour I suspect.)

2. Length. 2 day? 3 day? what say ye

3. difficulty...arfcommer approved (read= flat and short) or more HSLD

4. more hike or more camping? we could just do camping with guns if we find a suitable place or we can separate the wheat from the chaff.

5. are we looking for an adventure or a kick back time. I'm all for both. if we camp, some serious grubbin and drinking can occur (if thats yo style) or we can hoof it. Dont matter to me.

Quote and answer the above por favor

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
first, there are a couple of points to go over and decide upon imo. lets fill in some variables and see what works

1. ralley point (ie little rock, hot springs, ft smith, etc. maybe a members place to stash cars. for that matter, we can bounce from my place and hike to the OHT within an hour I suspect.)
Im thinking somewhere in the Ouachitas. I think that needs to be decided first.
I prob would prefer a 3 dayer buy would do a weekend if it worked better for everyone.
Dont care.
4. more hike or more camping? we could just do camping with guns if we find a suitable place or we can separate the wheat from the chaff.
Id think something like 7-9 miles a day. nothing hardcore and gives time to "camp" too.
5. are we looking for an adventure or a kick back time. I'm all for both. if we camp, some serious grubbin and drinking can occur (if thats yo style) or we can hoof it. Dont matter to me.
Not a big drinker...

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im thinking somewhere in the Ouachitas. I think that needs to be decided first.
I prob would prefer a 3 dayer buy would do a weekend if it worked better for everyone.
Dont care.
Id think something like 7-9 miles a day. nothing hardcore and gives time to "camp" too.
Not a big drinker...

Also, don't forget, the colder it is the more weight you will be carrying. warmer clothing, heavier sleeping bag, additonal food.

For what its worth.....

As you may remember from last year, a few of us did a one nighter on the a 22 mile section of the Quachita Trail.  But our goal was mostly to see how far we could push our selves carrying our B.O.B's.  We were able to complete our goal of 22 miles, 17 miles within the first 8 hours including 30min stop for lunch, and a 1 mile detour for water. (creeks were all dry, so we had to detour down to the lake witch is approx half mile off the trail.) And it ended up being 92F that day. So between the 3 of us, we used 24 liters of water.

We stopped and camped at dark, then started back on the trail the next morning in the dark to finish out the remaining 5 miles.  We started at 8am Saturday morning and finished at 10am Sunday morning.  

So....... The 7-9 miles a day sounds good to me, Don't think I would be doing anymore 17 milers anytime soon.  That was a be-atch!

BTW....If I get the chance to make the trip, I am not a big drinker either.  I vote for more of hiking/camping on the trail than a hike, cook, eat, drink, and shoot type thing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top