Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2011 5:59:18 PM EDT
I've wanted one for awhile now, and found a pretty good deal on a late model universal.
I've read the stories about the quality issues, but after looking the carbine over I don't see anything that stands out as being messed up with it.
Besides a little surface issues (doesn't look like rust), she seems to be fine.

Now I know jack really about disassembly and reassembly, though I did find some youtube videos.
Any experts in the know have any tips, or things to watch out for?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a universal, I'd pass unless you can get a really good deal.The Universal has some parts that interchange with G.I. parts and some that do not, the operating slide for example which has two recoil springs where the G.I. operating slide has one and in a different location.  Universal has been out of business for quite a while and there is only one source for spare parts which is gun parts corporation, they bought the inventory of universal when they went under. I had to replace the operating slide on mine and now it only runs when it's wet with oil but I haven't really worked on it to get it to run better.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#2]
if you want a new one i'd say Auto Ordinance i've heard theirs are the best for a new manufacture, mine is a WWII Saginaw Gear it's a great little rifle and one of the most plentiful of WWII guns
my dad paid $20 for it in the late 60's
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to the CMP website and read up on them there.  That's pretty much what I did.  They have(had) the best prices but they're out of them now and might not have any more for a while.  I've got one and have stripped it completely and reassembled it.  A few of the guys here have shot it.  I wish I would have bought two while CMP still had them.  Basically there are many different manufacturer models that were made during the war years.  The Inland is the cheapest as they were the most made.  I have a Saginaw SG.

Stripping them is easy except for the bolt assembly.  The bolt tool makes it much easier to reassemble.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one and I love it.  Its a fun gun to shoot but ammo is kinda pricey.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Watch out with the twin spring Universal M1s....out of battery fire has been known to occur with them. I have one, I never shoot it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top