Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 7:54:16 AM EDT
Finally became a team member about a month ago and work informs me last Wednesday that I will be recieving an all expense paid trip to Southwest Asia lasting for approx 7 months.  I leave late August come back sometime in March.  

The Air Force blocks this wonderful site at a lot of places in that part of the world, so hopefully I can at least get here through an alias site or something.  Ya'll have fun and keep Dusty away from the livestock!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:08:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Be safe.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Finally became a team member about a month ago and work informs me last Wednesday that I will be recieving an all expense paid trip to Southwest Asia lasting for approx 7 months.  I leave late August come back sometime in March.  

The Air Force blocks this wonderful site at a lot of places in that part of the world, so hopefully I can at least get here through an alias site or something.  Ya'll have fun and keep Dusty away from the livestock!!

Easy...Just set up a proxy server here in the US before you head out.

I have one running here at my house, and I connect to it from all around the world.  

The only catch is, the site you are at will have to have access to an SSH terminal i.e. "putty"  (99% of networks have access to SSH, since most admins use it to manage there networks)

The setup is not to hard if you have a old PC laying around.  I have mine running on 8 year a old pentium processor machine.  It doesnt take much power at all since it runs on linux.

Once setup, all you do it open a putty window, log in with your user name and password, point your browser to use your putty connection which in turn in pointed to your proxy server.

Viola!  you will be surfing the web over an encrypted connection from ASIA and since the website information is scramble, the local network where you are will not care what site you visit, i.e. they cant block it.

If you are interested and serious about putting this together, message me and I will be happy to point you in the right direction.

P.S.  I used to work for Verisign as a Network Security Analyst
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Viola!  you will be surfing the web over an encrypted connection from ASIA and since the website information is scramble, the local network where you are will not care what site you visit, i.e. they cant block it.

Sounds cool, but Uncle Sugar tends to frown upon people running anything hinky on thier networks....especially in the AOR.  I may just have to go without for 6 or 7 months.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#4]
hah......I hear ya.   Just thought I would throw my .02 out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top