Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2008 3:19:19 PM EDT
Gobble-gobble?
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes sir. I figure they'll be moving good this weekend after the rain this week.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yes sir. I figure they'll be moving good this weekend after the rain this week.

I was thinking the same.

Just looked at the extended weather forecast for Madison County (where I hunt turks), looks like it'll be nice and dry. Gonna be a little chilly up in the mountains. This could shape up to be a stellar year.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]
As I've never hunted turkey before, and Im so busy with college classes...I really wish I could, but Im not gonna be able to do jack but study and school work.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I will hunt turkeys when the law forbidding the use of rimfire firearms is abolished.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
As I've never hunted turkey before, and Im so busy with college classes...I really wish I could, but Im not gonna be able to do jack but study and school work.

It's so much fun, you'll love it. It's like deer hunting but you can stalk around a lot easier.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I will hunt turkeys when the law forbidding the use of rimfire firearms is abolished.

Do you not own a shotgun/bow? Or are you just sticking it to the man?
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 6:27:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I plan on hitting the woods on Saturday.  I've only been hunting turkey's for about two years now.  I have not bagged one yet.  I've got them to answer in the distance and busted a few while creeping around for better position, but never had a chance to shoot at one yet.

I don't get a chance to scout for them as much as I need to and I'm still learning to work the calls.  I look forward to bagging one soon.  I hunt down around Arkadelphia.

DK
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I plan on hitting the woods on Saturday.  I've only been hunting turkey's for about two years now.  I have not bagged one yet.  I've got them to answer in the distance and busted a few while creeping around for better position, but never had a chance to shoot at one yet.

I don't get a chance to scout for them as much as I need to and I'm still learning to work the calls.  I look forward to bagging one soon.  I hunt down around Arkadelphia.

DK

I hunt about 30 minutes West of Arkadelphia, out toward Murfreesboro
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DK

We usually hunt around a little town called Sparkman (SE of Arkadelphia) in the Big Timber WMA.  Lots of turkeys during deer season...none during turkey season.  Ain't that the way it goes.

DK
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Not a turkey hunter but I heard on the radio that Arkansas Game and Fish was going to delay turkey season in some areas or all areas due to high water levels and flooding. It was on the Corey and Jay show out of Little Rock so don't know who all it applied to but figured I would give a heads up. Would suck if you were out hunting, they delayed the opening of the season and Mr. Warden finds you.
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DK

We usually hunt around a little town called Sparkman (SE of Arkadelphia) in the Big Timber WMA.  Lots of turkeys during deer season...none during turkey season.  Ain't that the way it goes.

DK

Ha, right?
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I own a couple of shotguns. I think that the prohibition of rimfire firearms for turkey hunting is unfair to veterans that have been wounded in battle that cannot handle the recoil of a shotgun, but want to hunt turkeys. I know of one elder gentleman that has been an upstanding and productive citizen that is now disabled due to a spine injury. He can still get around on his own and does go afield, but cannot shoot his shotguns due to the now excessive recoil. Should he be prohibited from enjoying turkey hunting because of some silly rule against using a rim fire rifle? There is no logical reason for this prohibition. It should be abolished.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I own a couple of shotguns. I think that the prohibition of rimfire firearms for turkey hunting is unfair to veterans that have been wounded in battle that cannot handle the recoil of a shotgun, but want to hunt turkeys. I know of one elder gentleman that has been an upstanding and productive citizen that is now disabled due to a spine injury. He can still get around on his own and does go afield, but cannot shoot his shotguns due to the now excessive recoil. Should he be prohibited from enjoying turkey hunting because of some silly rule against using a rim fire rifle? There is no logical reason for this prohibition. It should be abolished.

You/he should make an inquiry to the AG&FC. Maybe they could work something out. Or, if it's his land, he could just not say anything and break out the .22 (not that I advocate that sort of thing, but extenuating circumstances and all that...).
In the meantime, is a 20 gauge too much for him? I mean, it should just take one shot a year.

Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of rimfire for turkeys. Anyone can snipe a turk at distance with a .22 mag or whatever. If rimfire was legal I'd have my season bag limit in about 10-15 minutes. No fun in that.

And an update, no kills for me this past weekend, too damn windy. I'm going back for the third weekend, hopefully weather conditions are favorable and luck is on my side. Saw a ton of deer though, of course.

Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

And an update, no kills for me this past weekend, too damn windy. I'm going back for the third weekend, hopefully weather conditions are favorable and luck is on my side. Saw a ton of deer though, of course.

I don't know of anyone that has bagged a Turkey. It seems that the hogs and flood water have mucked things up a bit. My brother is going for a hog this week end.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top