Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2006 8:54:24 PM EDT
Not sure if any of you guys know this, but the pistol range is shutdown at the AGFC range in Mayflower. Apparently someone moved a mobile home 1/4 mile behind the berm of the pistol range. The owner filed a complaint about rounds landing on/in/near his home (duh?). Since it is a state run facility, it can't be fixed by joe schmoe and the situation has to addressed with bids from contractors.  I have no idea when the pistol range will re-open. I haven't been there in a while; my brother-in-law called me from the range a week ago to tell me about it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the dude that moved his mobile home out there doesnt have alot of sense!!

I wonder why they would let him move there in the first place, you would figure there would be warning signs up.  Thats just my theory, i am probably wrong though.

Anyways, thats just another range closure of the little that we have as it is,.... Sad, very sad.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never bothered to go out there as I've heard reports that if you even show up with rounds loaded in the magazines then you are told to leave for the rest of the day.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#4]
In about a month I'm going to be living 4 miles from it.  I'll shoot on my 16 acres
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I lik eit and show up with loaded mags all the time.  The guy that runs it collects USGI 1911's and he know I collect M1's etc.  We get along.  I have had another guy tell me to not preload mags.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw in the Demo Gayzet that they are going to fix the pistol range, and the whole range will be closed when this happens.  They are going to build baffles above the berm.

It is not so bad a place to shoot, and if the loaded mags are seperate in a can they never look. I've only seen them check the guns.  I still only go with empty mags the sign says it is the rule, I do not like the idea of driving there for nothing.  Many people dog talk this range but it is a nice place to punch holes in paper.   I've lived all over the country and for a public range Mayflower is about as good as it gets.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I've witnessed first hand the loaded mag policy.  My and brother and I went shooting and we intentionally looked to make sure that we had UNloaded mags.  The main range guy happen to check one mag that my brother missed.  It had one shell in it - He got sent back to the truck!

It is clearly posted on the sign and it is usually enforced.  Bewarned!!

I like the range myself.  The guy that runs it is a little anal, but with the liability they have to be a little strict.

DK
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:39:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Yea I know all about the “sign” I’m the guy that made it for them. I have been in the sign business for 18 years and that’s where the “Sign_Wolfman” user name came from. They have a lot of safety issues to contend with out there and they are just trying to eliminate as much trouble as they can. All you really have to do is transport your ammo and weapons separately. I just leave any ammo/magazines in the car, and then after I get my safety check I pick them up before I head to the firing line. It’s really a small problem and easily avoided. I do like there range. It’s only a few miles from where I live and it’s nice to be able to shoot on a measured range and it helps me to remember that a little practice and a few rules never hurt anybody.

Sign_Wolfman
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
In about a month I'm going to be living 4 miles from it.  I'll shoot on my 16 acres

hmm....you'll be in the next "neighborhood" over (west) from me.

the range is pretty good, but the benches can be a pain in the ass to get used to.  i've even toyed with the idea of donating some better benchrests as i'm there so much.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Where's that trailer located?  Surely it's not between the berm just past the 50 yrd line and the tall ridge in the distance.   I'd guess the ridge to be beyond the 1/4 mile mark.   And I think the likelihood of a pistol bullet clearing the ridge would be pretty remote.  But maybe not now that  I recall all the holes in the tin covering the shooting benches.

I really like the range and I feel safe while I'm there.  I hear people complaing about the strictness, like rules for target placement on the frames, not being allowed to staple up targets, no loaded mags and the inspections and such.  It sure beats the hell out of the Wedington Woods "range" out west of Fed'vul (I'm guessing that's long gone by now though).  

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:02:58 AM EDT
[#11]
When I first moved here, Mayflower is where I shot. It is a very nice facility. It is much nicer than any of the State run ranges we had in Louisiana. Rules are strict, but I have seen several crazy things over the years and they are intended for safety. I just got tired of waiting for a bench on the weekends. One Saturday, a friend and I waited 1 hour for a bench. After that, I joined a club.

Sad to see it closed. Hope they get it up and running soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top