Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 5:39:57 AM EDT
I got this Kit from lancew another member from here in Arkansas. I thought I would post some before and after pictures.

Before

After

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:15:08 AM EDT
[#1]
That's an outstanding build!!!!

What kind of finish did you put on the metal?  I like it!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That's an outstanding build!!!!

What kind of finish did you put on the metal?  I like it!

Thanks for the kind words. I used duplicolor 1200 degree ceramic spray paint. I just followed the directions on the can. I was very happy with the finish and for $5.00 I don't think you can beat it.

Sign_Wolfman

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#3]
That looks great!

Do you have any experience swapping barrels? I have a MAK that I would like to change and all the AK builders are backed up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That looks great!

Do you have any experience swapping barrels? I have a MAK that I would like to change and all the AK builders are backed up.

Barrel swaps are a little more challenging using an existing trunion.  Chances are that the hole for the barrel retaining pin in the trunion won't line up with the hole in the new barrel after its properly headspaced, and you end up having to drill the pin hole oversize (not that bad in a Chinese as their trunions are beefy).  The worst situation is a virgin barrel in a previously used receiver, the rounded portion of the barrel presents a unique situation (it can't be drilled without milling or grinding away part of the rounded part of the barrel first).
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a used Type 56 barrel I would like to put in the MAK. AR's I can do. I have no experience with AK's though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:15:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That looks great!

AND

I have a used Type 56 barrel I would like to put in the MAK. AR's I can do. I have no experience with AK's though.

Hello there cajunboy,

I remember your MAK for other posts. This is only my second build, so I don’t really have all that much experience building AK’s. Both the rifles I built were from matching number kits. I did check the head space but since they were matching number kits I didn’t have any troubles. I remember why you’re trying to do this build and I give you a lot of credit for all the work you have already done, but…Maybe the easiest rout would be to sell the MAK and the 56 barrel and use that money to buy another rifle that is already set up for what your needs are. I know there are a lot of pre ban Chicom people that would like to get hold of a 56 barrel and there are plenty of MAK lovers that would be interested in buying your MAK just the way it is. I figure between the two items you should end up with enough cash to get yourself a replacement rifle and maybe even have a few dollars left over. Just thought I would through out the idea and see what you thought. If you decide to go this wrought let me know. I work with a guy that is looking for a MAK and I’m sure would be interested in yours.

Sign_Wolfman
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:30:12 AM EDT
[#7]
But I am almost there!

I have talked to Troy at InRange and he will do the work for me, he is just a little backed up. This is the final work to be done on this rifle, I was just looking for someone local to do it rather than sending it off. So far, I have a little over $500 invested with all of the parts and services, and it should finish up costing me a little shy of $700 when I am finished. I really need to change the barrel though. It has a verry poor threading job and it will not hold a brake, not to mention it looks like shit.  The type 56 barrel I have is almost new. The guy I bought it from pulled it and turned his into a Krink.

I have gone so far with it, I hate to quit now, but thanks for the suggestion. Your build does look greeat.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:59:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
But I am almost there!

Yea, I know what it’s like to get raped up in a project. I’m sure you know buy now that you could have gotten something to suet your needs for a lot cheaper. I’m thinking about one of the Century Yogo under folders. I figure they would be about as close as I could get to one of the Iraqi rifles. Good luck with your project and remember to post some pictures when you get-er-done.

Sign_Wolfman
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top