Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2003 8:30:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, the constructon of the Clinton Library ( big thrills). The capital building is a close replica of our nations capital and has been used in abunch of movies, I think that have a display of them. we have "the old mill" which was used in the opening of 'gone with the wind'. The river market = bars and shopping, Gen. MacArther's home and museum. We'll soon be getting the U.S.S. Razorback...I can't really think of much, I live here and can't think of any place of extreme interest. Go to www.arkansas.com  - sorry can't help more.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I live about 15 minutes north in Jacksonville and I turned my garage into what we used to call a "Team Room"...work bench/scuba locker but most of all a decent bar (The Round Table) with a stereo hooked up to a computer...80,000+ songs, cold beer etc...I tend to stay close to home 'cause I get enough running around at work...Juanita's is decent place...there are several good resturants...reckon it just depends on what you want to do...not much help but then again, that's Little Rock...
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Be sure to hit "The Oyster Bar" at 3303 West Markham Street (east of the UAMS/VA hospitals, west of the capitol).  It is a hometown classic, a dump of a joint with ice cold beer, a great jukebox, bathroom and hallway walls you can write on, the best beer battered fried shrimp you'll ever eat, hot catfish po-boy sandwiches, great shrimp gumbo...good gosh I'm having an orgasm just thinking about it!  I'd eat there every day if Jonesboro wasn't so far from Little Rock.  But then I'd weigh 500lbs.

Park around back, and if you go there after dark you better be packin.  Bad, bad neighborhood after the sun goes down.  Take my word for it...I lived in the dorm at UAMS for 3 years, and at night you could hear the gunshots to the east.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, I forgot about Don's Weaponry, way out east on East Broadway in North Little Rock.  East Broadway is the street that goes under the interstate by the Alltell Arena, just exit east onto it and after you go a long way you'll see Don's Weaponry on your right.  They are a NFA dealer and used to have a shooting range in the basement on the backside of the building (don't know if the range is still open or not).

CASA (the Central Arkansas Shooting Association) has a really nice range facility out on Hwy 10 past Lake Maumelle.  They will probably be having a match one of the weekends that you are in town, check out:

http://www.casarange.com/index.htm

for contact info.  They are a really nice bunch of folks, call 501-316-1361 for details.

Hope ya have fun and that your sweetie is successful.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#6]

isnt the fence around the old statehouse made of musket barrels?

i've heard it was, it might be interesting to see
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#7]
What about the road from Littlerock Airport to Mountain Home,and on towards Timbo area?

Any 'must sees' that way? Good places to stop outside of Littlerock for lunch/early dinner? Will arrive 7Sept for about 10 days.

Our first trip to Arkansas, and will be looking at property...friends bought a farm in the Timbo area last summer...we just might settle there too.

Please ask yer wimmenz if there are any excellent fabric stores to shop too, thanks!

Gwen in L.A.
a farmgirl in my heart
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What about the road from Littlerock Airport to Mountain Home,and on towards Timbo area?

Any 'must sees' that way? Good places to stop outside of Littlerock for lunch/early dinner? Will arrive 7Sept for about 10 days.

Our first trip to Arkansas, and will be looking at property...friends bought a farm in the Timbo area last summer...we just might settle there too.

Please ask yer wimmenz if there are any excellent fabric stores to shop too, thanks!

Gwen in L.A.
a farmgirl in my heart

North Arkansas is quite a pretty place, OMHO.

As far as place to eat goes, I can only recommend a place on I-30 in Benton, but that is the opposite direction than where you are going.

Concerning buying property in AR, I highly recommend against it. Although, I admit, I am VERY BIASED against AR. On the other hand, it may not be much differnet than PRK (no offense intended).

My wife frequents Hancock's Fabrics, which seems to be the mainstay fabric store in the area. Although, I have seen a few local places which I/she can not comment on.

If you have any other questions to which you would like honest, yet biased, answers to, feel free to ask.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:53:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My girlfriend has to go to Little Rock for work in September so I said I would go down for a couple of weekends. What's there fun to do in Little Rock and any tips on restaurants?

Thanks for any assistance guys.

You could come visit me. I am just barely outside the border of AR (Texarkana). Having traveled almost all of AR a little, I can make generalities about AR, but lack specifics a bit.

Have you heard about the place in Murfreesboro, AR where you can mine for your own diamonds? There is also the Peabody Hotel, that has the daily walking of the ducks. I'm sure it isn't great, but it could be interesting to watch.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I may be a little biased, but I really like the Arkansas Ozark region. There are LOTS of survival-minded people in this area. We have lots of campouts and get-togethers during the nice parts of the year(everything but the COLD part ;) ). The campouts are mostly around holidays(4th of July is the biggest one), but also happen during different times.
I'm not too far from Timbo. We've also been having picnics at the Buffalo Point Campground with a bunch of people from a homesteading message board.
Anybody passing through this area is welcome to email me at [email protected] and stop by for a visit. I live 12 miles south of the Missouri state line in central Arkansas.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Are pistols okay if unloaded and cased in a car, right?

Yup, that shouldn't be a problem.

BTW Aimless, I am only 2.5 hours from Little Rock, if that influences your decision any.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought of another thing this week. It's not much, but it's something. Remington has an ammunition plant just about 15 minutes East of Little Rock. Maybe you could contact them to see if they give tours.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Wow, I didn't know that about Remington, I may have to check that out.

"Concerning buying property in AR, I highly recommend against it. Although, I admit, I am VERY BIASED against AR. On the other hand, it may not be much differnet than PRK (no offense intended)."

Please enlighten us on your reasons for saying that Mbsk01, I am really curious.  Would you care to share your bad experiences in AR for us?

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Wow, I didn't know that about Remington, I may have to check that out.

"Concerning buying property in AR, I highly recommend against it. Although, I admit, I am VERY BIASED against AR. On the other hand, it may not be much differnet than PRK (no offense intended)."

Please enlighten us on your reasons for saying that Mbsk01, I am really curious.  Would you care to share your bad experiences in AR for us?

-Spaceman

Maybe you should start another thread and I will indulge you. You could start it in the bear pit and save someone the trouble of moving it too.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#16]
We reciprocate concealed handgun licenses with both TN and FL so you should be OK.  Arkansas cops are almost 100% firearms-friendly, that is just one of many cool things about our state.  See http://www.asp.state.ar.us/chl/chl.html for complete CCW info in Arkansas.

If you are going to be in the Timbo area, check out the small towns of Mountain View and Calico Rock.  Music on the town square, a drugstore with a real soda fountain, neat places to bargain hunt, arts and crafts.  My favorite place to stay is at Jack's Resort http://www.jacksresort.com/ just past Mountain View and Sylamore Creek.  Jack's has rooms with kitchenettes, back porches overlooking the beautiful White River, a playground for the kids, a basketball court, a good restaurant on site, and a huge full service boat dock if you want to fish for trout or smallmouth bass.  Jack's is laid back and as comfortable as an old pair shoes.  Not fancy, but I love the place.

If you are contemplating moving to Arkansas, this area (the north-central region) is an excellent place to live.  Lots of hunting, fishing, water sports, camping opportunities here with an extremely low cost of living.  It has decent weather, few mosquitos, low crime rate.  

Hope ya'll have a nice trip here and maybe you will like us enough to stay.  Fellow shooters are always welcome in Arkansas!
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I live here and can't think of any place of extreme interest

That's not a good sign

I don't think the g/f will let anywhere near the "Clinton" anything

RE the Klinton Library...watch this website for photos of me pissing on it as soon as it is completed.  The plan is in place, the getaway car is gassed up, we are just waiting for the last brick to be laid.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#18]

About the last thing I want to do is start an Arkansas bash thread.  Why dont you just sum up your general dislike in a few sentences?

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

About the last thing I want to do is start an Arkansas bash thread.  Why dont you just sum up your general dislike in a few sentences?

-Spaceman

Income taxes, personal property taxes, property taxes, sales tax on food, no lottery, crappy roads, overflowing with stupid people, Clinton is from there.

Sorry, there are alot of taxes and very few benefits from them. Just being brutally honest.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Hot Springs is Arkansas premier resort town, and it is just a little over an hour from Little Rock.  Stay at the Arlington Hotel, go through the baths, eat at The Pancake Shop, tour the wax museum.  Horse racing in the early spring, all in all pretty cool town.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#22]
pinnacle mountain,mount petit jean(car museum).
shorty smalls,yes the oyster bar,shit i miss that place.
you'll feel at home if you go down university ave during rush hour,traffic and roads suck,jonesboro sucks,ozarks are beautiful,oldest mountain range in the world.
river front is pretty cool when the weather is decent and there are lots of live bands.
josam
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top