Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2018 12:27:41 PM EDT
I have the opportunity to work a three month internship next summer, I would be living in Lincoln. I've driven through a few times but that's about it. Curious what the city is like as far as crime, what areas to stay away from, and if there is anything cool in the city or surrounding area. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
i used to live in Lincoln for years.  people are crazy about anything Husker.

as far as crime, there is some, but i've walked in some dark areas late at night and never got robbed, etc.  maybe i'm lucky and it was several years ago.

the outskirts of town are usually better.  the south side is full of rich people.  lots of anti gunners in that town, especially the university.

Lincoln did ban bumpstocks last summer, but there is nothing statewide.

Lincoln also has a stupid ordinance about leaving gun unattended in cars for longer than 24hrs.

Lincoln also has several misdemeanors that will disqualify you from owning a gun... thats just Lincoln though and not statewide.

on a positive side there are several indoors ranges, several gun stores, a nice outdoor range SE of town and SilencerHQ in Bennett.

overall, its fine.  just the city council, mayor, etc are antigunners.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a decent town, like Rob said the city government is antigun.  Overall it's one of the most liberal places in Nebraska, probably due to it being the seat of state government and the home of the university.

It has some decent gun stores, 3 indoor ranges, one private and one public outdoor range.  Crime is pretty tame as long as you stay out of the rougher areas after dark.

Entertainment options are about what you'd expect for a city of its size.  It can't really compete with Omaha for stuff to do, but Omaha is only an hour away.

Traffic isn't too bad, definitely not by big city standards.  The biggest problem is that there are no real through streets that you can just drive without stopping.  This city is obsessed with stoplights.  They put one on every single block in a lot of places, whether they're needed or not.  So you drive a block or two, stop and wait, drive another block or two, rinse and repeat.  In 20 years when the population gets bigger it's going to be a nightmare.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the advice, I have accepted the internship, so I'll be moving up to Lincoln next summer for 3 months. If there are any Arfcommers who want to get together and shoot I'd love to, just shoot me a PM.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I appreciate the advice, I have accepted the internship, so I'll be moving up to Lincoln next summer for 3 months. If there are any Arfcommers who want to get together and shoot I'd love to, just shoot me a PM.
View Quote
There are a ton of arfcommers in Lincoln, but we've never had a hometown shoot. Enjoy the city!
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There are a ton of arfcommers in Lincoln, but we've never had a hometown shoot. Enjoy the city!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's actually a good idea.  We should try to organize one, maybe next spring.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep....we say that every fall.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All the cool kids shoot in Grand Island.  Less liberal mental disorder out there.

Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:56:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All the cool kids shoot in Grand Island.  Less liberal mental disorder out there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

. Ain't that the truth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top