Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2017 10:49:28 AM EDT
I saw on the news last night that Canfields is closing.  Not saying they were awesome. But I hate to see locally owned businesses go out.  They seemed to treat employees well since several were there a long time.  And treated customers well also.   News story blamed online competition.

I would like to remind everyone to support other local businesses while they are still here.  Omaha Knife in LaVista,  AM Military Surplus in Bellevue,  I don't know how many little AR shops there are around.  There is one in CB that people say good things about.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:09:07 AM EDT
[#1]
What???   I loved that store!!  Remember the old security guard at the door, sitting on the stool??  I'm talking 80s here.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Didn't the family sell the store a few years ago? I went there a few times.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Didn't the family sell the store a few years ago? I went there a few times.
View Quote
this is copied from the "our store" section of their website:   "In January of 2014 Richard Canfield retired and handed the business over to a former employee, Scott Marble. Scott worked for Canfield's for 10 years before going out into the sporting goods industry; gaining extensive experience on both the retail and manufacturer level."

You would think if he had that much industry experience he would have known better than to take on such a disadvantaged business.  Meaning vs Sheels, Cabelas, Bass Pro and the internet.

When the new dude took it over he put up a wall to downsize the space.  He discontinued the military surplus (that was a lot higher priced than the Bellevue surplus store).  He also discontinued the "Shotgun Shell Sale" that had been a big deal prior to that.  It was pallets and pallets with a great variety and good prices.  I don't know what else he changed. The knife counter at first improved, then was moving towards junk.    So overall the store drifted away from my interests.  But I assumed They were gaining other customers.

This whole year I was there only once or twice.  But radio commercials kinda told a story.  They were getting rid of some product lines that you think of them for (I don't remember what) and putting in a professional bike shop.  Seemed weird, especially since it was late summer, when I would think people are not buying bikes.  Then more recently their commercials were about internet price matching.    I didn't think either of those were good ideas, but it didn't cross my mind that they were desperate plays from the death bed.

I don't buy on Amazon.   If I can't get it locally I would rather buy from a stores website or on ebay where the seller is a small store somewhere else.  Things like drain cleaning, HVAC and etc I use the small companies that can't afford a lot of advertising and where the owner might be the dude doing the work.    So I really don't like seeing these people throw in the towel, even if they have been making some questionable decisions.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember going there a few times over the past few decades.  I never cared for the surplus stuff, though I would probably appreciate that a lot more now.  We did buy several things there over the past couple of years as my wife and I were starting to gear up to go camping with friends.  I really liked how knowledgeable they are and loved it.  I was willing to spend extra money to support a local business.  They had nice 20% off anything coupons, too.  This is really sad because they had a tent that I really wanted.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top