Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2010 11:57:05 AM EDT
So I woke up this morning and needed to get out of the house for a while on my much needed day of rest.  I thought to myself, self I said, lets go shooting.  Not wanting to spend 90 minutes on the road to go to the family farm, I decided to take the small collection to the Bullet Hole for some training.

Now mind you I have been there before and was never all that impressed with their store.  Didn't much care for the attitude of the staff, the facilities could use some improvement and I could go on and on, but on to the range I go.  The guy behind the counter was more concerned with the fact as to what ammunition I was shooting, than checking my weapons and ID.  Now again, I'm 37, so age is not an issue, but come on.  So I go on the range, and dear mother of God it was hot in there.  I was there at 10am and it was easially 90 degrees in the range.

I was in the range byself and by the time I got my gear set up and weapon loaded I had already pitted out my shirt and had beads of sweat on my forehead.  So I start to shoot my SBR and after the first mag, I was like damn it's smokey in here.  So much for ventillation?  None the less, i'm not one to bitch, but I press on.  I need to relieve some stress and more importantly keep up on training.  So i finish my first mag and take down the target and lay it on the floor against the back wall with my range bag and rifle bag.  I put up a fresh target and put another 30 rounds down range.  Again, what is with all the smoke?  I take down the second target and go to place it on the wall on top of my first target, which is now completely covered in lead dust.  Are you freaking kidding me?  I look up to the ventillation ducts, which are completely black.  Not a little black, like maybe they had a busy day on monday, but straight off the boat black.  Like they hadn't been touched in a very long time.  No wonder I could barely see the target.

Again, I press on.  I work through the remaining SBR drills and run through a couple quick pistol drills before leaving.  I no more than exit the first door and get my first, and much needed, breath of fresh air and i'm already coughing and gagging.  IPrior to leaving I asked one of the sales associates if they dealt in any NFA items (as it's been over 3 years since the last time I was there)?  The kid looked at me like I was retarded and this was after he finger-F'd my LWRC PSD. (I did have it out to try a Comp4s on).  He was a bit condescending in his attitude, stating, "eh, we're not a class 3 dealer".  That was it, I'm outta here; paid my bill and left.  As I exited, still coughing, I spit out the phlem in my throat, which was completely black.  I was like you have got to be kidding me?  This is how they run their range?  What a poor excuse for an indoor range.  

Mind you I have extensive experience operating a quality in-door range on the west coast.  We were methotical about changing the HEPA filters weekly if not more, to ensure those individuals who chose to use our range did so with the utmost safety on their part.  We checked ALL weapons, and asked those individuals chosing to use our range to leave a photo ID at the front counter, for the simple reasoning in the event a catostrophic event occurred, such ID would be provided to the responding emergency personnel.  I opperated the business with the mentality, I do not know everything; my staff does not know everything, acting like it will NOT be tolerated.  Obviously this is not the business model held by the owners of the BH.  No wonder the BH is the first choice for those unstable individuals who chose to end their lives.

While shooting there is cheap, i'm sorry, getting lead poisoning is simply not worth it.  Not to mention, I will not be talked to like that by some little punk ass jack wagon.  My experience there today has really prompted me to pursue my goal of opening a quality, high-class, first rate indoor range in the Omaha metro area.  A range that caters to those individuals who refuse to settle for second best; a shop where customers can come and get info clarification, or education, and not be talked down to, or made to feel stupid, cuz the little part-time punk behind the counter thinks he knows more cause of what he read on the internet.

Of course, the above is just my experience and my expression of my opinion - yours may vary accordingly.

Link Posted: 8/3/2010 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If you build it,

They will come.

Link Posted: 8/3/2010 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I refuse to go to the Bullet Hole.  

You should have walked out front and asked them to turn on the ventilation...................
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Im there almost everyweekend to shoot & It's not that bad you need to understand it is the only place in omaha to shoot!  this state sucks for shooting !!
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Im there almost everyweekend to shoot & It's not that bad you need to understand it is the only place in omaha to shoot!  this state sucks for shooting !!

Really?  The BH may not be perfect, but they don't have slow shooting rules.

What did you look at when you checked guns?  I understand them checking ammo (they only care about rifle because FMJ will ruin their backstop).
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

omaha only has one place to shoot, so the whole state of nebraska sucks for shooting?
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never been a big fan of the Bullet hole, high prices and bad customer service is what keeps me from going there.  As somebody said before, it is the only place in Omaha to shoot, and they don't have much competition.  If you can do better, please for the love of God, do so.

Link Posted: 8/4/2010 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd love another place to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I have known Wes and Linda for quite a while, and most of my transfers were done there. If you need a C3 ask and I can refer you to a great guy in Fremont. BH is NFA friendly, and FA is fine with them. You can play with your SBR most places, but try to find a FA friendly range...Let me know when you do, and good luck with that... I suggest that if it is not up to your standards, you build a place of your own..

I fail to understand your comment on suicides there vs. the range condition... Shelved as moronic.
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No, Omaha sucks for shooting (and almost everything else).

I have several ranges near by, most 30-45 minutes away, including one indoor range and one 600 yard range.

As for The Bullet Hole, prices are high, but if you want to talk dirty, you missed out on the defunct Season's Choice indoor range in Lincoln.  The old codger at the counter was a real piece of work too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]
+ 1 on the punks behind the counter being condescending .
I thinks that's just low paid retail labor in general , but put them being a counter surrounded by weapons and suddenly they rule the roost .
I don't go there anymore , every time I did I wanted to slap somebody for stupidity or arrogance .
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
+ 1 on the punks behind the counter
every time I did I wanted to slap somebody for stupidity or arrogance .

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#12]
The guys behind the counter were very cool to me... When I was actually going to buy a rifle there. Once the gun was sold, every single time I come in there they act like they don't even know who I am. (I am slightly forgettable but when I'm there several times a month you'd think you'd start to remember me)

Anyway, if you build another range I will definitely check it out. If it's convenient and close like the Bullet Hole, I promise you will have my business on a regular basis. Especially if you also have an outdoor/long distance range.

The biggest problem is there are ZERO other public range options for people in Omaha. The only other choice is ENGC, which while awesome, requires a membership.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 5:24:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the vote(s) of confidence.  Believe me I would love nothing more than to be able to afford this dream.  

If anyone has any insights on business investors, I'd most certainly be willing to arrange a meeting and present my business plan for further development.

PJ
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Buddy of mine from high school got married in Omaha and I bought him a new model flattop .44 single action from Ruger.  Bullet Hole charged a $40 transfer fee.

Maybe I'm spoiled in Montana, but fuck them. That's crazy money.  Plenty of kitchen table FFLs will do the transfer for free to have them in their books up here.  Others charge $5.  Most stores charge $10 in Montana.

The .44 was only $359 on sale from CDNN.  The $40 transfer added 11% to the purchase price.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 5:43:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Buddy of mine from high school got married in Omaha and I bought him a new model flattop .44 single action from Ruger.  Bullet Hole charged a $40 transfer fee.

Maybe I'm spoiled in Montana, but fuck them. That's crazy money.  Plenty of kitchen table FFLs will do the transfer for free to have them in their books up here.  Others charge $5.  Most stores charge $10 in Montana.

The .44 was only $359 on sale from CDNN.  The $40 transfer added 11% to the purchase price.

Yes,  Their transfer fee is outrageous.  All their prices are outrageous for that matter.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 2:05:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I've never had an issue there.

The people there have always been cool to me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Ive never had any issues but, I go in, check in, shoot, check out and leave.

Ive heard the horror stories so I dont dill dally around.

I agree with the transfer fee. What a joke. "But if you become a member its only 25.00." Ummm, NO THANKS
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 1:59:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I hated the bullet hole, but I went there for years before I found private land to shoot on.

I know my lead levels were sky high due to that place.

Wes is a jackass, matter of fact everyone there is.

Cept for this Lee guy who was really into reloading and .45's, just a member, not an employee.  Great guy to talk to, tons of knowledge.  

I'll never step foot in that shithole again.
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Speaking only for myself; The Bullet Hole has undergone a big transition from 'what it was' to 'what it is' in my experience with them.

One big change was the abrupt ending of Tuesday night competition. I know a lot of people were sore about that.

Another has been the seemingly endless flood of range users on weekends that makes it all but impossible to get on a lane. I'm not comfortable shooting around people if I don't know their skill set or concept of safety. That goes for coworkers, friends, and aquantances. Nevermind a pistol range packed with other people.

"I'm sorry" isn't going to take that bullet out of you or your loved one if somebody else fucks up.

Don't kid yourself. The current staff do NOT have EMT training or the equipment to save your ass if you get shot. They're a bunch of guys who had to settle for $9 an hour and all the lead they could eat. That's probably why their attitudes and knowledge are lacking at times.

I understand wanting the best price on something. I do. Not to defend grossly inflated prices but a shop has to cover their overhead. That's why I believe the '.coms' are going to end many an FFL. You just can't touch pricing from AIM surplus, ImpactGuns, etc and make a lot of money as a private buisness. That's one reason their FFL transfer fees are so jacked up. For a long time I was willing to pay 'a little extra' to The Bullet Hole. Call it a 'convenince fee' or a 'keep the local range alive fee', but you have to be the judge when that fee becomes too great. If another good buisness comes along that I want to support, I will pay 'a little extra' to keep them around.

You just can't expect the place to carry EVERY holster, in EVERY fit, and EVERY color.... but it really sucks when they have the ONE that you want and it's 30% more than ordering it straight from Galco or you try to special order an accessory and they want to charge 15% over Brownells retail. I'm not defending the overpricing, just giving my perspective on it.

Unless you have the type of money that Wes had to make The Bullet Hole a reality and the balls to do something about it- get use to it.

Oh yeah; if you shoot regularly (indoor, outdoor, whatever) get your lead levels checked. There is NO excuse not to. Take my word for it. The blood draws are cheap and easy to do. It beats losing your neurological function, motor function, having your kidneys take a shit, and then finally poisioning yourself to death.

Someday The Bullet Hole might get it's ass handed to them by OSHA or the EPA, but that won't fix YOUR lead levels.

My advice- If you don't like The Bullet Hole, don't give them any buisness. Don't come on here and piss and moan about it, then go there anyway. Don't go there for range, tools, parts, ammo, or a soda out of the vending machine. Sooner or later they will get the point.

- 9millbill
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks for the vote(s) of confidence.  Believe me I would love nothing more than to be able to afford this dream.  

If anyone has any insights on business investors, I'd most certainly be willing to arrange a meeting and present my business plan for further development.

PJ

I am an infrequent visitor to BH as I am fortunate enough to shoot on private land, so I've never noticed the ventilation issue. The prices are high like all the other brick & mortar shops, it seems. My beef is that, like you, the staff has certainly been ignorant/arrogant in my experience. I stopped in a few mos ago to handle a few things I was interested in, but they didn't carry any of the models I was wanted to see. Fair enough, but the goof behind the counter didn't even look up from his texting while addressing me. I would ask if they carried a particular gun and he'd shake his head. Then another guy goes out of his way to explain the reason they don't have any of the (seemingly exotic) models I wanted is they aren't big sellers- implying I'm stupid for wanting them. Yep, the FNP-45, ACR & Ruger SR-556 are obscure crap, but that $600 WASR they had is top-shelf! I agree with several other posts- lack of competition is the issue. I completely agree that another range in or near Omaha would be a great opportunity for someone.

As to 'whining' I thought that's what online forums are all about? If we didn't gripe there wouldn't be much to discuss.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I've never run into a ventilation issue there.  The major catastrophe a couple Novembers ago jump started the crowded conditions there.  Has any one looked at the shooting park proposal that was started back in the 90's? Was supposed to be built in northeast Douglas County. Never came to fruition mainly because of the "anti" attitude of the Omaha area carpetbaggers. Council Bluffs however is more business friendly than Omaha could think of being. Hmmm..
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've never run into a ventilation issue there.  The major catastrophe a couple Novembers ago jump started the crowded conditions there.  Has any one looked at the shooting park proposal that was started back in the 90's? Was supposed to be built in northeast Douglas County. Never came to fruition mainly because of the "anti" attitude of the Omaha area carpetbaggers. Council Bluffs however is more business friendly than Omaha could think of being. Hmmm..

It has more to do with the economy than the anti's.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One big change was the abrupt ending of Tuesday night competition. I know a lot of people were sore about that.

Why did they cut Tuesday night competition?
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 3:32:06 AM EDT
[#24]
The Bullet Hole is not a bad place to just put holes in paper for 30 mins or so.... However I agree with the arrogance of the staff. They seem more interested in fucking around or being on their phones then learning anything about what they carry.
I understand you can't possibly have the best and brightest staffing every position at a place like that but come on.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#25]
The thing that frustrated me recently was I saw one of the guys behind the counter wearing a Spike's Tactical shirt. So I attempted to start up some conversation with him (and I was seriously considering buying some stuff too if they had what I wanted from Spike's) so I asked him "You use a lot of Spike's gear?" He just looked at me and said pretty short and sarcastically "No, we just sell their stuff."

It's one thing to admit that you don't use their stuff... But he basically gave me a "go screw yourself" kind of response. At least say "No, I don't personally, but we carry their items and it's good quality" or something to suggest that maybe you want to actually sell something to your customers...

Needless to say, I just placed a $400 order with Spike's directly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Speaking only for myself; The Bullet Hole has undergone a big transition from 'what it was' to 'what it is' in my experience with them.

Another has been the seemingly endless flood of range users on weekends that makes it all but impossible to get on a lane. I'm not comfortable shooting around people if I don't know their skill set or concept of safety. That goes for coworkers, friends, and aquantances. Nevermind a pistol range packed with other people.

"I'm sorry" isn't going to take that bullet out of you or your loved one if somebody else fucks up.

Don't kid yourself. The current staff do NOT have EMT training or the equipment to save your ass if you get shot. They're a bunch of guys who had to settle for $9 an hour and all the lead they could eat. That's probably why their attitudes and knowledge are lacking at times.

I understand wanting the best price on something. I do. Not to defend grossly inflated prices but a shop has to cover their overhead. That's why I believe the '.coms' are going to end many an FFL. You just can't touch pricing from AIM surplus, ImpactGuns, etc and make a lot of money as a private buisness. That's one reason their FFL transfer fees are so jacked up. For a long time I was willing to pay 'a little extra' to The Bullet Hole. Call it a 'convenince fee' or a 'keep the local range alive fee', but you have to be the judge when that fee becomes too great. If another good buisness comes along that I want to support, I will pay 'a little extra' to keep them around.

You just can't expect the place to carry EVERY holster, in EVERY fit, and EVERY color.... but it really sucks when they have the ONE that you want and it's 30% more than ordering it straight from Galco or you try to special order an accessory and they want to charge 15% over Brownells retail. I'm not defending the overpricing, just giving my perspective on it.

Unless you have the type of money that Wes had to make The Bullet Hole a reality and the balls to do something about it- get use to it.

Oh yeah; if you shoot regularly (indoor, outdoor, whatever) get your lead levels checked. There is NO excuse not to. Take my word for it. The blood draws are cheap and easy to do. It beats losing your neurological function, motor function, having your kidneys take a shit, and then finally poisioning yourself to death.

Someday The Bullet Hole might get it's ass handed to them by OSHA or the EPA, but that won't fix YOUR lead levels.

My advice- If you don't like The Bullet Hole, don't give them any buisness. Don't come on here and piss and moan about it, then go there anyway. Don't go there for range, tools, parts, ammo, or a soda out of the vending machine. Sooner or later they will get the point.

- 9millbill

Just wondering how you know none of the staff is EMT trained? Or that they dont have any type of first aid kits on hand? I know for a fact that one of the staff (instructor that works the counter once in awhile) is a paramedic with OFD.Not sure why most of you guys dont seem to get along with the guys there cause I have not seen any problems at any time I have been in.Yes they are pricey but what small shop isnt.(just saying)
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:34:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

- 9millbill

Just wondering how you know none of the staff is EMT trained? Or that they dont have any type of first aid kits on hand? I know for a fact that one of the staff (instructor that works the counter once in awhile) is a paramedic with OFD.Not sure why most of you guys dont seem to get along with the guys there cause I have not seen any problems at any time I have been in.Yes they are pricey but what small shop isnt.(just saying)

I just got fed up with the "we know everything about guns and shooting and you don't" attitude.  I've got a couple of stories about that.

I gave them a chance to price match, or even come close on a handgun I was wanting to buy.  They were $120.00 higher than I could have bought it for on line.  When I told him how far off he was he got all huffy and said he couldn't do it.  He then offered to transfer it for me for $40.00.  I said no thanks as most FFL's will do it for half that.  I might even do it for $30.00 just because they are close to me but $40.00 is out of line.

When your selling AR lowers for $185.00 and everyone else has the same lower for $120.00 your not going to move many of them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#28]
As far as the EMT training etc. I used to work there homie.

I do know the fella you're talking about (the paramedic), but he doesn't really have much to do with working the counter anymore.

First aid kits?.... go get shot there and find out.

- 9millbill
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Well alrighty then now that we have all that cleared up. Facts are nice to have and we got  them,thanks for the info.Like the rest of you I dont buy alot from them,,,, as a matter of fact I think it is only targets that I do buy. I do try to give them a chance though. Engineer I have seen the "I am better than you:attitude but it usually stops once we get to know each other.
On a side note. What ever happened to the range that was on about 108th and L? Used to go there once in awhile right after I moved here in 85.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well alrighty then now that we have all that cleared up. Facts are nice to have and we got  them,thanks for the info.Like the rest of you I dont buy alot from them,,,, as a matter of fact I think it is only targets that I do buy. I do try to give them a chance though. Engineer I have seen the "I am better than you:attitude but it usually stops once we get to know each other.
On a side note. What ever happened to the range that was on about 108th and L? Used to go there once in awhile right after I moved here in 85.

I had no idea there used to be a range at 108th & L. As the OP intimated, I think there is a huge demand for another range (indoor or outdoor) and full service gun shop in the Omaha metro. Problem is the bung-holes running Omaha make it very unlikely in the city limits. Too bad Cabela's didn't add one to their store- wouldn't solve the problem of over-priced merchandise but would be done right and offer another option. The Bullet Hole can afford to be mediocre because they're the only show in town- which is amazing & sad for an area the size of Omaha.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:47:17 AM EDT
[#31]
The one at 108 & L was the old Bullet Hole location before they got the new facility.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#32]
That was more like 96th and L. This place was back by the Z92 building.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That was more like 96th and L. This place was back by the Z92 building.

It was called "Shots"
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Thats the one.Wonder what happened to them?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#35]
No idea... Never shot there, had farmland in Iowa at the time
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:33:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I've never had an issue there.
The people there have always been cool to me.

same

I shot IPSC night there hard and heavy for years so that might be part of it

but they have never been rude to anyone I have ever brought in there

I do agree it has slid a bit

the Tuesday matches being canceled and the current crop of guys are not  as good as the ones that had years ago

but they have always been nice enough to me

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Wes and Linda were always friendly to me. Only place close I could shoot my M16 and M11 with zero issues. Some range rules after the handgun eater I suppose were necessary, but limited the fun. Took my CCW there, tons of transfers...

One indoor range here where I live... NO f/a at all, and 25.00 per person.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top