Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2010 8:11:34 AM EDT
Hey guys,
I will be heading to Camp Ashland for a school for a few weeks and just wondering what there is to do around that area on the weekends I should have at least one or two days off while I'm there or so I'm told.

Also has anyone here gone to the base for schools or training (Army)? I've tried to get info from the net regarding sixe of the base, old or new barracks, PX etc but I found nothing?  

Thanks!
Bob
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I went to PLDC there about 18 years ago. Unless it's drastically changed, there's nothing nearby.

Come to think of it, I never got the Achievement Medal they promised me. Tell those morons to fix that!
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 8:51:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll let them know about your AAM!
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Parker's Smoke house BBQ is the shit , right off the main road. HWY 6 I believe.
Other than that , the fine people of the Corps of Engineers had a solid plan to relocate the whole town and flood the entire surrounding are for a gigantic recreational lake project.
Would have been nice to have a decent lake around here but the locals said no go.
There isn't shit in Ashland .
Not even cool old buildings .
Should've taken the offer .
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#4]
As for the base itself, it was tiny. The BX was about the size of my master bedroom/bathroom suite. They had a little area and a table so you could sit and drink a beer or two in the evening. If you look on Google Earth, you can probably get a better idea of the layout of the base.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies, I found out that I will have a few days off after the school and I don't have to come home right away so I thought since I've never been in that area of the country before I may as well take a little detour back to WI and maybe go north a little to SD and on to MN and such and just have fun!

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Camp Ashland is a pit. They run a lot of AD, reserve and NG guys through PLDC there but there's nothing there, period. I don't even think they have ranges for small arms.

Some of the barracks are old Cavalry horse stalls and they look the part. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#7]
went there for wlc 2 years ago, the barracks for school are brand newish, nicer than at riley. (if you discount the fact that they are open bay)

there isnt a damn thing to do around there.

the px is small, but the beer is reasonable.

try not to have to much fun
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
went there for wlc 2 years ago, the barracks for school are brand newish, nicer than at riley. (if you discount the fact that they are open bay)

there isnt a damn thing to do around there.

the px is small, but the beer is reasonable.

try not to have to much fun

I was there back in 2003. Billeting was pretty pathetic back then.

Well, the "new and improved" SAC museum is pretty close, it's now the Strategic Air and Space museum. They moved it right off of I 80 smack between Omaha and Lincoln in the middle of BFE for some reason. Henry Doorly Zoo has a nice drive-thru animal park (all North American animals) close by if you're REALLY going jonesing for something to do.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top