Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2010 8:33:12 PM EDT
In the Omaha area, who has the best burger?  I am looking for a new place to get good food, getting tired of Red Robin.  Suggestions?

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Stella's in Bellevue!
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
#1 is Stella's for sure! You can't beat it being served to you on a napkin! The next best I'd say is Dinker's (right off I-480 and Martha).
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
New place called Smashburger touts themselves as having a great burger.

I havent been there yet so I cannot back that up. I think its spendy but if you get a good burger, I suppose its worth it.

Ill second the Goldbergs and Stellas also.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Where is Goldbergs?  Mrs_Fury loves malts, so I may have to check it out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#6]
132nd and Center. Soutwest corner, east side of the building IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 6:05:42 AM EDT
[#7]
There's another Goldberg's location on the north side of Dodge next to the Dundee Theater.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#8]
OK , I have been studying burger joints in Omaha for quite some time.
I'm not a big fat guy , but I've always been bewildered by burger joints that come into a town filled with burger joints
and bring garbage.
This is a burger town , better bring something to the table.
I no doubt will forget a couple but here goes.

Now this is strictly commentary on " burger joints " I'm sure some restaurants make a decent burger , but I don't order them there.

The jokes , in other words save your money and go to Hardees or Culvers instead.

5 guys , Burgers and Fries.
Smashburger , (what a dickhead burger joint this is.)
Brew Burgers
Cheeseburger in Paradise.
Fatburger
Broncos , aint it anymore
Burgers on Broadway

I shouldn't say this ( I have ties) , but Stellas is entirely overrated , I love what the the new owners have done with the place and hence the community
but in the old days ,  the old lady served them burgers on a napkin with a thumb print in the bun to save a few bucks.
It's 2010 , all we know about food handling  now ,  I prefer a basket , thanks.
And the burgers are just " ok " IMO.

Some of the best

Dinker's ( great place , but they don't take cards , although they have an ATM in house , pretty bad business practice , even the shittiest local tattoo artist takes cards nowadays , again ,  its 2010. )
Goldberg's ( better get there quick , both locations are going down hill )
King Kong , ( if you want a heart stopper. )
Louis M's , (  knows the burger business. )
Twisted Fork , ( kinda can be considered upscale , but I had a great burger there. )
Old Chicago , ( believe it or not they got good burger. )
Dundee Dell used to make a great burger ,(  I'm not %100 percent on the " new" location on Underwood  though. )
Burger Star is not bad.
Country Bar and Grill , in La Platte ( usually stop after a shooting trip to eat )

My favorites

****** Petrows who doesn't love this place??? This is the way a diner should and used to be. *******

and believe it or not !!!!!
Mother fucking Fuddruckers!!! ( Theisen has a great burger joint IMO.)

Currently Im on the search for a decent frikking meatball marinara in this town , so I probably forgot a couple burger places.
But this is my assessment.

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 3:29:25 AM EDT
[#9]
WOW!!!!!

Thank you for the write up Restless.   I have some vacation coming up and will hit up some of these places.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 4:45:50 AM EDT
[#10]
If you go to the Dundee Dell, I'd recommend the fish and chips or "The Big Easy" over their burgers. The Big Easy is my favorite sandwich there and the fish and chips are the closest to authentic I've had this side of the Atlantic.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Second that on the fish and chips from Dundee dell , and no problem on the write up.
What good is all the research if you cant pass the conclusions along??
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Romona's
While it's a Mexican place, they sell one awesome burger. It's so big the menu says to allow 20 minutes to cook.

I went to Red Robin this morning and it was gross.

I thought the burgers at Smash Burger were good, but their fries sucked.
My all time favorite death burger is at this place up in Iowa. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the place, but it's in Beebeetown, Iowa. The burger is one breaded pork tenderloin on top of a hamburger and all the fixings.

Link Posted: 2/19/2010 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Romona's huh....I could walk there from my house.  Might have to check it out, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#14]
This thread is relevant to my interests....
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This thread is relevant to my interests....

+1
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#16]
So I went to Dundee Dell yesterday and got the Fish & Chips.

They are excellent.

Now to find somewhere to watch the USA hockey team beat down Canada.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Stellas or Kong Burger
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 2:16:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Not really a fan of King Kong burger, as they are a little dry and bland.  But it makes great drunk food, try eating a triple after drinking beer all day with your friends.  I have not had a chance to get over to Stella's yet, but I have some vacation coming up.   I will update w/pics, as I try different places.

Keep the sugestions coming.

Fury.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#19]
OK....starting the project.  

I have made a small list of places that I will be going to try out their burgers.

Outback Steakhouse. 6.5/10

Stella's.

Goldberg's.

Cheeseburger and Paradise.

Quaker Steak and Lube.

Texas Road House.

Dinkers.

Ramona's

Petrow's

Dundee Dell.

Smash Burger.

Old Chicago.

Hooters.

First place that I went to was  Outback Steakhouse.

The Blooming Burger, ordered medium rare is pretty good.  Juicy, thick, but kind of bland (as in not much seasoning).  The blooming onion peels on the burger really make it.  Over all it was good, probably a 6.5/10.

Sorry for the cell phone pic.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Awesome , this is the best thread I've seen in months.

I'll be checking in from time to time Fury

P.S. That plating just looks lame. Burger looks dry , cheese doesn't even look properly melted.

Hope you got into some of those fries before you took the photo.

If not , what a bunch of cheap asses.
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 4:39:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't know if you have a Hooter's in your area but their burger is top notch...can't say the same thing for their wings or the talent but the beef is delicious.
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't know if you have a Hooter's in your area but their burger is top notch...can't say the same thing for their wings or the talent but the beef is delicious.

Added to the list.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 5:32:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't know if they still have them or not, but Nebraska Brewing Company had some good burgers. They mixed all the toppings in with the meat, which tasted good but caused the burger to fall apart.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#24]
***UPDATE II***

Louie M's

South Omaha (18th and Vinton)

Great burger, much better than the Outback Steakhouse burger.
They had a bunch of different burgers on the menu, I ordered the Cheddar bacon burger w/onion rings.  The bacon was nice thick cut bacon and was very good.   It was awesome, and the O-rings were great as well.

I would give it a 7.5/10 easily.  (possibly more, but my burger was a little over cooked to my taste. [I like them a little pink in the middle])

Sorry for the blurry cell phone pic.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Now that , looks good.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:53:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Romona's huh....I could walk there from my house.  Might have to check it out, thanks.
I could, too

I haven't had their burger in years, but it was a staple of my Grandpa's diet for many years. He'd tell tell the owner "Louie, I want it brown on the outside and raw in the middle".

Link Posted: 3/18/2010 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Goldberg's (132nd and Center)......

Not that great of a burger, basically one step above fast food.  The Atmosphere is good, the service was OK, but the burger was....well, meh.  Nothing really special.  

Maybe it was the burger that I ordered (Super burger), lettuce, tomato, onions, mushrooms, bacon, and American cheese.  

In all honesty, I would take a Red Robin burger over Goldberg's any day.  

Out of ten, I would give it a 3.5-4, as I said...one step above fast food.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Not that great of a burger, basically one step above fast food.  The Atmosphere is good, the service was OK, but the burger was....well, meh.  Nothing really special.  

You're dead on , both locations have been going downhill for a couple years now , they need to step it up .
Used to be great.

I was beginning to worry about you Fury ,  thought maybe your heart gave out
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I've been eating at Goldberg's since my brother was a cook there back in the early 90's. My brother always made sure I got a good burger there, but I've never thought they were that good, especially for the price.

They're hit or miss, but Upstream Brewery can make a very tasty burger. Order a Scotch Ale with it, and it's bliss. In fact, I think their burger and their gouda cheese soup are the only food items they have that are appealing. Their gouda cheese soup (and bread) is amazing by the way. They have one downtown and one on 168th and Center.

Cheeseburger in Paradise is pretty good.

Billy Frog's used to be really good when they had the actual burger bar. They're an alcohol bar first now though, and I truthfully haven't gone their for anything but partying in ages.

Their ribs are quite possibly the best I've had in Omaha, so maybe try The Old Mattress Factory down on 13th and Cass. I've never had their burgers, but if they can cook a burger up even 10% as good as they cook a slab of ribs, they might be worth it.

ETA: Just found their menu online. http://www.themattomaha.com/InternationalFoods.MattressFactoryMenu1.pdf
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#30]
You guys are killing me...everytime I take one off the list, you give me three new places.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I am a bit behind....

I will be posting three more here soon, I have been real busy with my job, and yard work.  I'll be posting Dinkers, Cheeseburger in paradise, and 5 Guys later on tonight.

Fury.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top