Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2009 9:32:03 PM EDT
There aren't any local ordinances prohibiting open carry in Lincoln, are there? I have looked around a bit but have had no luck. Any help please?
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 3:27:06 AM EDT
[#1]
http://ccwnebraska.yuku.com/search/text/?q=lincoln+open+carry&submit=Search+All

There has to be an answer there somewhere for you.  If I remember right, it's not recommended.

Link Posted: 3/17/2009 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you can open carry. Ive asked the almighty one Chief Casaday. You may be subject to harrassment if someone calls and reports you though.
You may be charged with disturbing the peace.
So much for freedom huh?
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I've heard all these stories of how you can get charged with disturbing the peace but I don't know if it's just something everyone says or if there are actual documented cases (could you provide references to these if possible?)

I had to get my address changed on my CCW permit last week and the State Patrol took my permit and said they'd mail the updated one out to me and it will take up to a week, so in the meantime I am unable to lawfully carry concealed. I open carried to the movie theater last night but it wasn't very busy so I don't know how many people noticed, if any.

Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#4]
The disturbing the peace came from Chief Casaday's email so I cannot give you documented cases.
This day and age though, it wouldnt surprise me if a sheep from the flock called the police because someone "had a gun".
I would love to be the test case, but I dont have the money it takes to defend myself in court. If someone wants to front the money, Id do it.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I would be curious as well.  As a former resident of Nebraska; more specifically Lincoln and Omaha; not sure I would want to be the test case - OPD seems to be a bit less dictortatorship compared to LPD.

I'd be curious to know how you can be charged w/ disturbing the peace when the very act they are claiming led to the charge is a lawful act.  But then again i'm not lawyer.

I currently reside in Las Vegas and if you make any changes to your CCW; Metro will issue you a new one; but you get to keep your old one until the new one arrives.  Seems a bit bogus for NSP to take your privilege away while they drag their feet on administrative crap.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm bumping this with another question.

If one were to open carry and get charged with disturbing the peace, do you think it would be possible to get the NRA's assistance in dealing with the matter?
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe the NRA will stand behind you if you are a member.  If not, I know they won't.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If one were to open carry and get charged with disturbing the peace, do you think it would be possible to get the NRA's assistance in dealing with the matter?

Oh hell no....Look how many cases the NRA left some poor sucker dangling in the wind. They are the last people I would expect for any help.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I wouldn't count on it.  Not because the NRA hates you or open carry, but because the NRA can't defend everyone.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Omaha has a city ord. against it.  Not sure about Lincoln.  As for a sheep calling...I'll bet a grand that if you walk into the Westroads mall...open carry, the cops are going to get called.  I spent a couple decades across the river pushing a black and white and got those calls all the time.  Usually a concealed carry person didn't conceal well enough and joe citizen called johnny law.  Hell, happened a couple times to off duty cops.

I recall one such incident that went something like this.  I received a call of a man with a gun at one of the local HyVee stores.  I get there and they point him out.  I walk over...Hey Mark, cover up your piece for cristsakes.  We're getting our asses run off out here today, last thing I need is some rookie causing me grief.  10-8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top