Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2009 4:32:20 PM EDT
I am looking for an outdoor range in or around Manhattan, KS.  As I understand it, the range on Ft. Riley, and Fancy Creek are open on select days and weekends only.  Are there any ranges that I can join or any that are at least open more than a few times a month?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Fancy Creek north of town is your best bet.  Great folks but the schedule is sketchy.  If you want to work around their hours let me know and I'll get you the number of a guy on the board that can let you know when they'll be open.  The trap park was also supposed to open a range but I know if that happened or not.

Link Posted: 3/16/2009 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#2]
The range on Riley is pretty good, and while it sometimes gets closed due to unit training, the vast majoritity of the time it is open.  The schedule is posted one month prior so you can plan your shooting as needed.

They are also working on getting a range on Riley for out to 600yds, currently it goes out to 300yds.

If you need the contact information for the gentlemen running the range on post I can get it for you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#4]
My hubby went on post once and never went back to shoot, said they were idiots. I can't stand range nazis personally so I am taking his word for it. If I am shooting I don't want to hear no rapid fire come out, especially outdoors.

Seems like most people find people with land that they can shoot on and that is through a friend. We met some people with land but too hard to track down now and never got a chance to check it out.

It is hard for me to believe that with all this land or as we call it fields of fire, there is hardly anywhere to shoot and KS is a Class III state. Drives me nuts....
I guess I was spoiled in Florida.

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 4:36:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the responses.  I guess range 4 it is, only because there seems to be no alternative.  I agree that with all this land, someone must have a range on their property.  Hell, I would even pay a monthly membership fee.  Oh well, im gone in a couple of months , so maybe greener pastures await.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got back from Range 4 on Riley.  Good experience.  Guys that work the range were great.  Granted, the rules are stiff, but if you just want to zero the gun and shoot static, it serves the purpose.  One of the guys that work there let my son shoot his M1` Garand.  He got a big kick out of it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm........as I recall when I went to K-State, which was the early/mid 90's mind you, we used to go to a modest open outdoor range out around Tuttle Creek Lake.  It wasn't monitored and didn't cost anything to use.  It had a burm for about five pistol lanes and one for a couple of rifle lanes.  Nothing fancy but it served the purpose.  The odds are it may not even be there anymore but may be worth a shot to look into.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hmm........as I recall when I went to K-State, which was the early/mid 90's mind you, we used to go to a modest open outdoor range out around Tuttle Creek Lake.  It wasn't monitored and didn't cost anything to use.  It had a burm for about five pistol lanes and one for a couple of rifle lanes.  Nothing fancy but it served the purpose.  The odds are it may not even be there anymore but may be worth a shot to look into.

Haven't heard of that.  Do you remember any specifics to where it was?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't heard of that.  Do you remember any specifics to where it was?

I think he is talking about fancy creek. Maybe not though?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#10]
First time posting here, but I was stationed at Riley from 2000-2006.  There is a range just outside of Randolph, Kansas west of Tuttle Lake.  It has/had a a 100m range and 25m range.  Cost was a few dollars.  The range should still be there.  It's a good drive though, especially from Fort Riley and Junction CIty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top