Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 7:54:18 PM EDT
Names Steve, from Omaha.  I recently turned 21, so everything is a reality now. here
I was put into therapy by my parents because my moods were always low, blah blah blah, when I was 14 or so.  If it matters, everybody agreed it was chemical imbalance, nothing situational.  When I was 16, I screwed up with my parents, and was sent to a local hospital's psychiatric ward for 3 or 4 days (don't remember, I slept a lot). I was dismissed and went home and everything was fine.  After that, we decided I didn't need to see a personal therapist, and started going to 'family therapy' with my parents.

Anyways, I have no violent offenses, I was not sent to the inpatient (or outpatient??) ward for anything violent.  Is that going to prevent me from ever owning a firearm?

I read somewhere that because this happened was I was a minor (16), that it wouldn't have ANY effect on my future in regards to owning a firearm.  I figured I might as well ask you all informed people to not be too saddened when I don't 'pass' the 4473 form if this incident prevents me from becoming an owner.

Thanks for your time, sorry I blabbered.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not a lawyer so I'm talking out of my ass here...

IMO, if you were never sentenced by a judge to an institution, then you should be GTG.  Go down to the local PD or sheriff's office, apply for your handgun purchase permit, and wait a week.  If it comes back approved, great.  If not, look into getting a lawyer to sort through the mess.  Best of luck to you!
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you think you may blow up sometime? Are you a time bomb? The last thing we need is another Mall Massacre, and if you can't control yourself, please stay away from guns.

I love to help educate and introduce newcomers to shooting, but not a nut job. Get a psychiatric evaluation if you think you may have a problem. We all go through tough times emotionally, and that may have been what you were facing, but for Christ's sake, we don't need the mentally unstable shooting up malls and restaurants.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#3]
*Not a lawyer, take with a grain of salt.*

I'm fairly certain (reference above line) that unless you've been involuntarily commited for ober 72 hours you're good to go.
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 5:45:06 AM EDT
[#4]
You should be fine.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do you think you may blow up sometime? Are you a time bomb? The last thing we need is another Mall Massacre, and if you can't control yourself, please stay away from guns.

I love to help educate and introduce newcomers to shooting, but not a nut job. Get a psychiatric evaluation if you think you may have a problem. We all go through tough times emotionally, and that may have been what you were facing, but for Christ's sake, we don't need the mentally unstable shooting up malls and restaurants.

I can understand the troubles that come with growing up. I had my fair share of trouble with my parents and not seeing eye to eye. My mother even thought I needed a counselor at one point which I think did more harm than good. But I never was sent away for anything. So even though I think we all have a right to own firearms I think that at some point some self evaluation needs to be done. I think LitRat is right on here. Take a look at yourself and if you still have the ups and downs or a temper problem or anything that makes you wonder should I.... Then just go talk to someone that you choose, Not your parents, and see what someone on the outside looking in thinks. I say this because at some point not so long ago, someone thought you needed to be put somewhere safe. Good luck. I hope things work out for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top