Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 12:52:48 PM EDT
I got this on a Bulletin on myspace, any of you herd anything.

CHEATING AT THE PUMP

Now, do you really think the lazy American public will go to that trouble when I heard the morons say on the radio?---We should have been paying more for gas like Europe long ago! I mean really! Big business should pour the oil on them and cheat them everytime they get a chance! They deserve it!!!!! They don't care enough to report it.

They will say--I just won't go to that gas station anymore!!!

Shelby

This is a true story, so read it carefully.

On April 24, 2008, I stopped at a Kangaroo BP gas station, located at
1325 Main Street, Cartersville, GA.

My truck's gas gauge was on 1/4 of a tank.

I use the mid-grade, which
Was priced at $3.71 per gallon. When my tank is at this point, it takes somewhere Around 14 gallon's to fill it up.

When the pump showed 14 gallons had been Pumped I began to slow it down, then to my surprise it went to 15, then 16.

I even looked under my truck to see if it was being spilled. It was not.

Then it showed 17 gallons had been pumped. It stopped at almost 18 gallons.This was very strange to me, since my truck has only an 18 gallon tank.

I went on my way a little confused, then on the evening news I heard a
Report that 1 out of 4 gas stations had calibrated their pumps to show
More gas had been pumped than a person actually got.

Here is how to check a pump to see if you are getting the right amount:
Whichever grade you are using, put EXACTLY 10 GALLONS in your tank,
Then look at the dollar amount, if the dollar amount is not EXACTLY 10 times
The price of the fuel you have chosen, then the pumps are rigged.

In my Case as I said the mid-grade was $3.71 9/10 per gallon, my dollar amount For 10 gallons should have been $37.19. If I had only checked the pump.

It Doesn't matter where you pump gas, please check the 10 gallon price.

If You do find a station that is cheating, contact the COMMISSIONER OF WEIGHTS AND MEASURES IN YOUR AREA

Please don't delete this until you have sent it to all people in your
Address book.

We need to put a stop to this outrageous cheating of
Customers.

The gas companies are making enough profits as it is.....!!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
If the price doesnt go up accordingly to the amount shown on the gallon counter then the station wont be making more money?

Im not saying that there isnt a few stations out there that mess with the gallon counters to make more money. I just think that this is a bogus test. The only acurate way for an individual to check this would be to use a known capacity container, fill it up and see if the gallon counter matches what is known to be in the container. Like a five gallon gas can, if the counter doesnt show very close to five gallons then you know something is up.

BTW rumors like this are standard whenever gas prices spike. Its a long tradition that goes back to the depression. My grandpa told stories about stations in the 30s that would move the paint lines closer together on the old glass bowl pumps.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Several stations along the interstate here in Nebraska were caught by the Division of Weights and Measures. I know stations in North Platte and Kearney were busted. What will penalties be? I bet the consumers who got ripped off won't see a damn dime.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Several stations along the interstate here in Nebraska were caught by the Division of Weights and Measures. I know stations in North Platte and Kearney were busted. What will penalties be? I bet the consumers who got ripped off won't see a damn dime.

One of the guys I went to high school actually works for that Division.

Little tidbit.

Otherwise to address the OP's question I dont herd anything although we used to have cattle.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I did herd the ducks, chickens, geese and goats into the barn the other day.

Did your friend say who the stations were? I would love it if one of them was a former client of mine.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Otherwise to address the OP's question I dont herd anything although we used to have cattle.

I thought I was the only one that caught that.

I herd ferrets.  We have 11 right now.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I did herd the ducks, chickens, geese and goats into the barn the other day.

Did your friend say who the stations were? I would love it if one of them was a former client of mine.

i know one of the gas station busted in north platte was the shell station south of i80 along walker road. from what i read they were charging unleaded price per gallon for e85. today on there sign e85 was 2.17 a gallon, unleaded is 3.88 a gallon

but you got to look before you pump because theres only one pump with the 2.17 per gallon price    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top