Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2007 6:42:03 PM EDT
I am about to pass through Nebraska with everything I own while moving across the country.  I saw that Nebraska does not recognize my CWP, is open carry permitted in Nebraska?  Thanks,

-Ben
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Nebraska is an open carry state. The weapon has to be in open sight. have a safe trip.

http://www.opencarry.org/
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
TY.

-Ben
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Um, I have NEVER seen anyone open carrying in NE.  And in fact, there was a lot of talk over the years of LPD treating open carry as disturbing the peace.  Just an FYI.

Edit: just moved to MO last month after 17 years in NE.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I have open carried on many occasions, but only during hunting seasons. I have had conversations with sheriffs, state troopers, game wardens, and none have ever made a mention to me carrying. I took the concealed carry class this year after it became legal, and we talked in great length about how having a permit makes it so you should carry concealed not open. There are a lot of grey areas in our new laws that I did not completely understand nor did our instructor which is scary. But I do know that as long as your weapon is in the open you can carry. There are obvious places that you would not carry into such as a bank, Wal-Mart, most stores. And I am guessing that in any community especially larger ones such as Lincoln open carry invites law enforcement to come interview you to see why you have a gun.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Nebraska is open carry, some of the towns and city have a problem with it... Omaha you have to have a permit to open carry. That is the only city off the top of my head...
Rich
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have lived in Lincoln, NE all my life (some 32 years) and have never seen anyone other than a LEO open carry a firearm.  If you are outside city limits I suppose it doesn't really matter, but if you have a handgun on your belt in any city, you will definitely bring a whole lot of attention.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry you live in Lincoln, you should come out west once in a while. We have a boy who carries his SA Colts on his belt year-round. I do remove the gun when going into businesses where I might make them nervous.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#8]
What is the law for carrying a loaded handgun in the car? I remember when I grew up in Nebraska when the law was changed to having to carry it in the glovebox(1967). Is that requirement more stringent now?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Nebraska handgun carry laws are not written to have anything to do with ammunition loaded or unloaded.  It's either carried in open plain sight or locked in a storage compartment or out of simple wreach of any person in the vehicle.  In glove box is ok if the glove box locks.

It's just so easy to put it on the dash in plain sight.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
Nebraska handgun carry laws are not written to have anything to do with ammunition loaded or unloaded.  It's either carried in open plain sight or locked in a storage compartment or out of simple wreach of any person in the vehicle.  In glove box is ok if the glove box locks.

It's just so easy to put it on the dash in plain sight.

That is normally what I do while driving. I live in Grand Island and as I stated earlier when hunting season rolls around I carry most of the time. I have had the permit to carry concealed but haven't really found a need for it yet. "Knock on wood"... But in the past I have hunted near Lincoln and have carried open in that area without any trouble. I don't know about Omaha, but I am sure that you can go just about anywhere in this state and as long as your not being a complete idiot your not going to have a problem. Just use common sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top