Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2006 11:50:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm new on this forum. Here's a copy of what I sent to my Omaha city council representative:

Mr. Vokal,

I'm a fairly recent new citizen of your district in Omaha. I moved here after spending two years in La Vista, and before that, 28 years in Fremont, NE. This is my first communication with you. I'm most interested in Nebraska's adoption of LB454, the concealed carry issue. I feel strongly positive about ccw that in 2002, I addressed the Nebraska Legislature's Judicial committee, urging them to forward the CCW bill at that time onto the general legislature.

Mr. Vokal, I believe in a strong Constitution to these United States. I rather imagine that at some time in your civil service that you've pledged a vow to uphold the US Constitution. Sir, I urge you to uphold the rights of the citizens you represent.

As you're no doubt aware, the Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights to the US Constitution recognizes our rights to keep and bear arms. Sir, until LB454 was passed, I've long felt my state government didn't recognize my right to bear arms. To keep arms, yes, that's been long understood and allowed. But Mr. Vokal, I do NOT have the right to walk down the streets of my (and your) district in Omaha with a visible gun on my shoulder or hip. Soon enough, a police car will screech to a halt, and I'll be staring down the muzzle of an officer's sidearm. I'll be spread eagle on the ground, handcuffed, and taken to the station. After some time, I'll be released. My firearm will be impounded, and I'll have a long, costly legal battle on my hands.

Sir, I'm not asking for the right to walk down the street with a gun on my hip. In our society, if a citizen wishes to arm themself, it must needs be concealed. I am asking for the right to take and qualify courses, to prove my aiming ability, to pass a background check, and to pay for these necessary courses. I then ask you, sir, to recognize that I deserve the same rights granted to other citizens of the state of Nebraska.

Thank you for taking the time to read this communication. I'd like to impress upon you just how important this issue is to me.

Best regards,
  xxxxxxxxxxx
  xxxxxxxxx
  Omaha, NE 68106
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#3]
welcome husker, and good game chuck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top