Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 10:18:08 AM EDT
33 to 12 woot !!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#1]
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I read the law online, and here's the scoop.

Training required, course approval by NSP
Submit application, 2 fingerprint cards
NSP must issue 5 days after forms and crim history completed
21 yoa
eyesight to obtain Class 0 drivers license.
Valid STATEWIDE for 5 years
$100 fee
$50 renewal
no carry at:  Police Stations; jails; courthouses; polling stations; govt meetings; bank; schools; college-pro sports events; emergency rooms; and bars earning >50% income from booze; and where owner of property has said no.     Also can't carry while drinking.

Seems far better than I thought Lincoln could ever manage.  It doesn't allow Omaha/Lincoln to opt out.  It doesn't say anything about other state reciprocity.

They also changed the law about carrying without a permit.  It always was it shall be an affirmative defense that you were lawfully engaged, etc.     Now it IT affirmative defense that you were lawfully involved and reasonable person would think it prudent.

All in all, a VERY GOOD DAY!!!  I think you should call your Senator if he voted yes and thank him/her.   Not very often those folks in Lincoln ever do anyone any good.

Anyhow, you can read all about it on the Unicameral page.  LB 454.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#3]
SWEET! Kind of a bummer you cant carry at a bank, but nonetheless SWEEEET
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#4]

I'm just glad that my friends whom I wholly trust with my life can have my back. Since I've been the only one to have theirs this whole time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]
congrats!!!   We're joining the club together!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

21 yoa
$100 fee
$50 renewal
no carry at:  Police Stations; jails; courthouses; polling stations; govt meetings; bank; schools; college-pro sports events; emergency rooms; and bars earning >50% income from booze; and where owner of property has said no.     Also can't carry while drinking.

Seems far better than I thought Lincoln could ever manage. It doesn't allow Omaha/Lincoln to opt out. It doesn't say anything about other state reciprocity.

They also changed the law about carrying without a permit.  It always was it shall be an affirmative defense that you were lawfully engaged, etc.     Now it IT affirmative defense that you were lawfully involved and reasonable person would think it prudent.

All in all, a VERY GOOD DAY!!!  I think you should call your Senator if he voted yes and thank him/her.   Not very often those folks in Lincoln ever do anyone any good.

is the blue part true?  so omaha's gay silly little law forbidding it is basically null and void, and we CAN carry in Omaha once this law becomes enacted?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd like to say congrads to the citizens of Nebraska.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

21 yoa
$100 fee
$50 renewal

Seems far better than I thought Lincoln could ever manage. It doesn't allow Omaha/Lincoln to opt out. It doesn't say anything about other state reciprocity.

is the blue part true?  so omaha's gay silly little law forbidding it is basically null and void, and we CAN carry in Omaha once this law becomes enacted?

That's what it means.    Omaha's Anti CCW law will be voided by the states CCW law.  

But as i read it the law is in fact Shall Issue so they really can't say no if your record is clean.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

21 yoa
$100 fee
$50 renewal

That's what it means.    Omaha's Anti CCW law will be voided by the states CCW law.  

But as i read it the law is in fact Shall Issue so they really can't say no if your record is clean.

beers at my house.  tonight.

any word on when it'll actually go into effect and we can start getting the classes done?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I was happy for Kansas, and now, im on top of the world, looks like I need to round up some more money!  I have been on top of the world all day long!  I heard on the radio that we are the 48th state to enact CCW.  What 2 states are the lone rangers now?  Also suprising being such a conservative state, that it took this long, but I guess better late than never.  Also good to hear lincoln and omaha cant opt out!  
Does anyone know if you can take the CCW class before you buy an actual CCW gun?  A 4 inch 357 is about the closest I own, Im thinking a stubby .357 2 inch, double action only.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Armed Ferret

I wouldn't have gone thru the time to look up the legislation, all 17 or 18 pages, read it make notes, and then retype the summary above.

If you wonder if what I typed was true, then actually look up the legislation yourself.  When it starts is also in the bill, look it up yourself.

..............Muttering to himself.  some people...................
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Thats great news!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Armed Ferret

I wouldn't have gone thru the time to look up the legislation, all 17 or 18 pages, read it make notes, and then retype the summary above.

If you wonder if what I typed was true, then actually look up the legislation yourself.  When it starts is also in the bill, look it up yourself.

www.wowt.com/home/headlines/2549106.html

partial quote:

Chambers said he took solace in the fact that Omaha has a law banning the carrying of concealed weapons and the bill will not supersede that. The measure also allows any other municipality to pass a ban.

I hope chambers wrong.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I was happy for Kansas, and now, im on top of the world, looks like I need to round up some more money!  I have been on top of the world all day long!  I heard on the radio that we are the 48th state to enact CCW.  What 2 states are the lone rangers now?  Also suprising being such a conservative state, that it took this long, but I guess better late than never.  Also good to hear lincoln and omaha cant opt out!  
Does anyone know if you can take the CCW class before you buy an actual CCW gun?  A 4 inch 357 is about the closest I own, Im thinking a stubby .357 2 inch, double action only.

Wisconsin  and Illannoy

Even in illinois, with a Firearms Owner IDentification card (FOID) card, you can carry unloaded in a fanny pack with a loaded mag next to the gun .

Congrats Kansas , Too bad about no reciprocity , I am pretty sure I will pick up Nebraska with Connecticut permit as requirements are similar .Something for you guys to push for next year , Bank carry will come in time , keep at it , lots of states passed "bad" CCW bills and when people see no shootouts at the OK corral they are able to clean up their bills after.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Great  news and congratulations from "south of the border"!!!!!

I know how you guys feel, I felt the same way when our veto was overridden...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, it would appear that no preemption is allowed, from a reading of the bill.  However, I'm not a Senator or lawyer.  

I tried to copy the bill into the forum, but I can't figure out how to convert the PDF to this forum.

However, go to:  http://www.unicam.state.ne.us/pdf/FINAL_LB454_1.pdf

Look on page 8      Section 6(H) para 10  "A permit to carry a concealed handgun is valid thoughout the state for a period of five years after the date of issuance."

Now as I said I'm not a lawyer, but that seems pretty clear.  There's also a short blurb on a later page about permit holders can carry anywhere in the state.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Armed Ferret

www.wowt.com/home/headlines/2549106.html

partial quote:

Chambers said he took solace in the fact that Omaha has a law banning the carrying of concealed weapons and the bill will not supersede that. The measure also allows any other municipality to pass a ban.

I hope chambers wrong.

This would suck..........Mayor Fahyee is against the bill.  If it woud have to go to a city council thing
he'd veto it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Well, it would appear that no preemption is allowed, from a reading of the bill.  However, I'm not a Senator or lawyer.  

I tried to copy the bill into the forum, but I can't figure out how to convert the PDF to this forum.

Look on page 8      Section 6(H) para 10  "A permit to carry a concealed handgun is valid thoughout the state for a period of five years after the date of issuance."

Now as I said I'm not a lawyer, but that seems pretty clear.  There's also a short blurb on a later page about permit holders can carry anywhere in the state.

Actually, if the bill was going to preempt the local municipalities ability to ban CCW then it needed to spell it out.  When I was working in the Unicameral during the 2003 session there was a specific preemption clause floated to handle this issue.   The language in Section 15 would seem to indicate that a municipality can still regulate individuals within its boundaries.

On the bright side, I have been told by a source high within the state GOP that this will be corrected soon.

SBG
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Armed Ferret

some people indeed.

i mean, it's not like we're all on the same side, or anything.  but thanks for sharing that eloquent point, when so much evidence points to the contrary.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
33 to 12 woot !!!

Congrats. grew up in Nebraska. Who are the 12 11 slimeballs who voted against the bill? We know who the 12th would be.... Ernie, oh, Ernie!! He used to be the lone yahoo in the chamber. Guess 11 others have joined his club!

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Congrats. grew up in Nebraska. Who are the 12 11 slimeballs who voted against the bill? We know who the 12th would be.... Ernie, oh, Ernie!! He used to be the lone yahoo in the chamber. Guess 11 others have joined his club!

from "Carry Issues" room in the Handgun forum:

thread here

Senators voting yes: (33)
Aguilar, R., Grand Island; Baker, T., Trenton; Bourne, P. Omaha; Brashear, K., Omaha; Burling, C., Kenesaw; Byars, D., Beatrice; Combs, J., Milligan; Connealy, M., Decatur; Cornett, A., Bellevue; Cudaback, J., Riverdale; Cunningham, D., Wausa; Engel, P., South Sioux City; Erdman, P., Bayard; Fischer, D., Valentine; Flood, M., Norfolk; Foley, M., Lincoln; Friend, M., Omaha; Heidemann, L., Elk Creek; Hudkins, C., Malcolm; Janssen, R., Nickerson; Jensen, J., Omaha; Kremer, B., Aurora; Langemeier, C., Schuyler; Louden, L., Ellsworth; McDonald, V., St. Paul; Pahls, R., Omaha; Pedersen, Dw., Elkhorn; Pederson, D., North Platte; Redfield, P., Omaha; Schrock, E., Elm Creek; Smith, A., Gering; Stuhr, E., Bradshaw; Wehrbein, Roger R., Plattsmouth.

Senators voting no: (12)
Beutler, C, Lincoln; Brown, P., Omaha; Chambers, E., Omaha; Howard, G., Omaha; Johnson, J., Kearney; Kruse, L. Omaha; Landis, D., Lincoln; Mines, M., Blair; Price, M., Lincoln; Raikes, R., Lincoln; Schimek, D., Lincoln; Thompson, N., Papillion.

Present, not voting: (3)
Preister, D., Omaha; Stuthman, A., Platte Center; Synowiecki, J., Omaha.

Excused: (1)
Kopplin, G., Gretna.

10 out of 12 were from omaha/lincoln (papillion = omaha to me).
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:22:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey.......Don't be lumping us Papillionites in with Omaha!  That Thompson's a winny do gooder so you can throw her in with Omaha.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#24]

gotcha.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Cheers from what will probably be the last holdout in the union. Congrats guys!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, if the bill was going to preempt the local municipalities ability to ban CCW then it needed to spell it out.  When I was working in the Unicameral during the 2003 session there was a specific preemption clause floated to handle this issue.   The language in Section 15 would seem to indicate that a municipality can still regulate individuals within its boundaries.

On the bright side, I have been told by a source high within the state GOP that this will be corrected soon.

SBG

I hope it's done quick as WOWT claims Omaha is already in the process of banning it. LB 454 left the door open for any city who wants to ban CCW to do so.

Fucking Ernie Chambers and Mike fucking Fayhee. I didn't plan on living in Sarpy County, but it looks like I have yet another good reason to consider it. Shit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#27]

www.wowt.com/home/headlines/2560196.html
Concealed Carry Reaction
New law getting mixed reviews

After a decade of stalled bills and committee hearings, the Nebraska legislature has passed a concealed carry law but the debate wears on.

The legislation approved Thursday will allow people to carry handguns under their clothing or otherwise out of view. That has some people concerned while others say it will protect us all.

Bradley Stearns is thinking about buying a handgun in the near future. He plans to use it for target shooting.

"I don't feel myself having a need for personal safety," he says.

When Stearns was filling out the paperwork for the background check he was unaware of the Unicameral's vote.

He says, "I don't see a lot of security in the fact that there is a bunch of people running around with concealed weapons. I do see more of a risk for law enforcement officer in their duty. They don't know who's going to have a concealed weapon on them."

Douglas County Sheriff Tim Dunning doesn't expect any change in the way things are now. His deputies still approach every situation as if they're facing an armed person. They rely on training and discipline to protect the public and themselves.

The sheriff says, "I've not seen any evidence that it's been a problem in any other state."

Dunning says background checks, waiting periods and firearms training provide safeguards. The only intelligent things said in this entire article. Now for the bad news...

Omaha City Prosecutor Marty Conboy literally wrote the book on firearms law in Nebraska. State senators wrote the law so that Omaha's ordinance against concealed weapons took precedence and Conboy wants to make sure the final draft contains the same language.

He says, "There are certainly things to research assuming it's signed and goes into effect next year. We would have to look at whether there was any change in Omaha."

The new legislation, that Governor Heineman has said he will sign, also allows any Nebraska city to opt out of the concealed carry law.

Omaha is already on the books making it illegal. Few additional cities are expected to take that step.

Nebraska is the 48th state to allow concealed weapons. Only Illinois and Wisconsin have bans.

Most studies on the impact of this kind of law have yielded mixed reviews. Those studies essentially show that crime remains the same whether there is a ban or not.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
So does this mean that a CCW permit won't be valid in those cities, or that they just won't issue them to people who reside within them?

you can be arrested for CCW in those cities
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#30]
What a crock of shit!

Now we will have to battle all the "do gooders" in every town.  The anti's will be going from city to city trying to effect a ban.
When you go in and get your permit they will have to give you a special map of the state with all the "no ccw"  cities highlighted.  Jesus Christ I'm already getting pissed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Combs has already stated that they will be addressing reciprocity and pre-emption next year.  she left them out at this point to help get the shall-issue down ernie's throat.  reciprocity can't really be addressed until a bona fide training program is established so other states can determine if it meets or exceeds their own--thus allowing reciprocity.

with ernie going bye-bye, the odds that additional CCW legislation will have fewer speedbumps are increased gemoetrically.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:03:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Combs has already stated that they will be addressing reciprocity and pre-emption next year.  she left them out at this point to help get the shall-issue down ernie's throat.  reciprocity can't really be addressed until a bona fide training program is established so other states can determine if it meets or exceeds their own--thus allowing reciprocity.

with ernie going bye-bye, the odds that additional CCW legislation will have fewer speedbumps are increased gemoetrically.

My only concern is that the composition of the legislature could change dramatically in the next year.  The only way that we can guarantee future sucess is to ensure that we continue to elect pro-CCW and pro-RKBA representaitves to the legislature.    God knows that the GOP may retain a healthy margin in the "bipartisan" Unicameral, but if we end up electing more RINOs like Sen. Mines the chance of fixing this law in the future may be doomed.

SBG
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Fat chance of that. Rumor has it that Tom Osbourne is seeking a higher position in the political food chain. He was a great coach, but the guy is anti gun and quite incompetent as a politician. I'd be willing to bet that 98% of all Nebraskans will vote for him under any circumstance though.

Fayhee is still a very big speed bump. You know, the guy who used to throw his underage daughter keggers. Drunk driving minors are harmless, it's the law abiding responsible citizens with firearms we have to worry about.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Well one good thing happened a few years ago..............

Called "TERM LIMITS"

Ernie, Marion Price, and about 18 others will be done in the unicameral "FOREVER"!!!!!!!!!

So this fall, the makeup of the Unicameral will be changing.  20 senators are being forceably retired.  And there are 87 others wanting to fill thier shoes.

So just be careful about the votes & be sure to vote.  Combs will get the Omaha ordinances lifted in next years addition to the CCW law.  Have patience.  It was one way to limit Ernie's voice.  And it worked, along with the term limits law.

Link to Lincoln Journal Star story
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#37]
City preemption- that really sucks for most Nebraskans.  You have the right to carry concealed while driving in rural areas, but no carrying in the Big Bad O !  Unless you reside in the country, I really don't see the point in wasting time and money to get the permit.  What a bunch of asshats in the Unicameral.  As a non-professional Iowa CCW holder, I can carry anywhere in the state- except for banks, schools, etc.  But some city council cannot invalidate my right to self-defense.  You Nebraska guys have some work to do before I even think about applying for a Nebraska CCW.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, it's official boys and girls. The Governor has signed it.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/2581731.html

In signing the measure Wednesday morning Governor Heineman said, "I want to thank the members of the Legislature for recognizing that the people who are willing and able to complete this permitting process are not the sort of people who will use a weapon illegally. Criminals already carry guns, and they already do it illegally. LB 454 helps law-abiding Nebraskans, like the citizens of 47 other states, make criminals think twice about choosing a victim."

Great quote, Dave. Now just tell that to the city legislators. Follow it up with a swift boot to the ass to drive the point home.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Pretty sweet - and an excellent quote by the Gov.  Won't go into effect until Jan. 1st, 2007, just 8 days after I turn 21.  (Yes, I was born on Christmas eve.)  So hopefully by then they'll have the city pre-emption bullshit worked out and I'll be able to carry in Omaha.  Is there any way to put pressure on the city council to change this?  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Pretty sweet - and an excellent quote by the Gov.  Won't go into effect until Jan. 1st, 2007, just 8 days after I turn 21.  (Yes, I was born on Christmas eve.)  So hopefully by then they'll have the city pre-emption bullshit worked out and I'll be able to carry in Omaha.  Is there any way to put pressure on the city council to change this?  

The won't have preemption fixed as the unicam is about to close session for the term.  There is always a slim (very slim, pretty much non-existant) chance that Omaha could repeal their concealed carry law.

But I'm thinking we'll all wait until next term for that.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Anybody read the 04/06/2006 OWH evening edition?  The article made it sound like a few of the city council members are for the CCW!  I about fell out of my chair.  They  will need 5 votes to override the mayors veto if it ever came down to it.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Anybody read the 04/06/2006 OWH evening edition?  The article made it sound like a few of the city council members are for the CCW!  I about fell out of my chair.  They  will need 5 votes to override the mayors veto if it ever came down to it.  

I just now read it.  I'm actually pleasantly suprised that there aren't any of the council members jumping up and down against it.

People won't have to check their concealed handguns at the Omaha city limits if Councilman Chuck Sigerson has his way.

Gov. Dave Heineman signed a law Wednesday that allows Nebraskans 21 or older to obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon after passing a handgun training course, criminal background check and mental health background check.

The first permits will not be issued until after Jan. 1, 2007.

But the law does not wipe out Omaha's existing ban on concealed guns, said City Attorney Paul Kratz - and the city intends to continue enforcing the ban.

Sigerson has an issue with that. He said Omahans should have the same rights as the rest of the state. If the city stands by its ban, Sigerson said, he will look into repealing it.

Sigerson questioned whether people driving from Lincoln to Omaha would have to pull over on the Interstate, check their guns and reclaim them on their way back out of town. He said that criminals already carry concealed weapons and that the state permit system will weed out troublemakers.

Sigerson acknowledged that he faces a significant obstacle: Omaha Mayor Mike Fahey plans to veto any repeal of the ban, and it takes five council members to override such a veto.

"I'm not in favor of more concealed weapons in our city," Fahey said today. "I'm especially concerned about the safety of our police officers."

But it's possible Sigerson will find the support he needs.

Councilman Garry Gernandt, a retired police officer, said he agrees with Sigerson.

Councilman Franklin Thompson likewise said he supports the idea of allowing concealed guns in Omaha, although he wants to study the experiences of other states that have passed such laws.

Councilmen Jim Suttle, Jim Vokal and Dan Welch all said they would consider the move.

Vokal said he would have to weigh the state law against the crime concerns that exist in the eastern portions of Omaha. Some neighborhood leaders already have expressed concern about people walking around with concealed weapons, he said.

Councilman Frank Brown could not be reached.

Omaha Police Chief Thomas Warren opposed the concealed weapons bill. Warren said today that he is fundamentally opposed to allowing people to carry concealed weapons.

One concern is officer safety. Warren said allowing people to carry concealed weapons increases the likelihood that police will encounter people who are armed.

But he also said that people carrying weapons in their vehicles and purses increases the likelihood that they will be stolen by criminals.

"Our concern is these weapons tend to find their way into the wrong hands," Warren said.

The Omaha Police Union is remaining neutral on the issue, said the union's president, Aaron Hanson.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks SmilingBandit! Great article... I sure hope we get those 5 votes.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#45]
holy moly, that's great news!

definitely need to keep an eye on these developments!

i'd be happy to make a big "ha-ha!" sign with Nelson on it to put in front of fahey's office if he gets overridden.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
holy moly, that's great news!

definitely need to keep an eye on these developments!

i'd be happy to make a big "ha-ha!" sign with Nelson on it to put in front of fahey's office if he gets overridden.  

Congrats on the upgrade! Now get your butt over to the team forum.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#47]
i'm working on it.  

it was a gift from a very generous member.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top