Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 9:34:54 AM EDT
I have an ongoing discussion with another member (EM)of our EMS dept. about Tasers. He sees no danger in them, and I'm concerned about their use. Our local SD has just purchased Tasers and our EMS had a short training on what to expect/possible counters.
That said: A local newspaper had a short note about how 158 deaths occurred last year from Taser use, which I cut out and took to EM. The Sheriff happened to be at his shop, so we discussed the article and tasers in general. He brought up some good points, and I feel it was a productive conversation. We also discussed the upcoming CCW, and what it was going to take, and how it would happen.
Here's the surprise:
EM asked about the .22 rifle he carries under the seat of his truck, if it was considered concealed. Sheriff stated that Kansas definition of concealed is "ON THE PERSON". Any weapon can be carried in the vehicle, under the seat, on the dash, in the glove box, over the visor, as long as it is not in contact with a person. Loaded is ok. He suggested that the weapon be out of sight, or in the gun rack, and that having a rifle or pistol on the seat beside you during a traffic stop late at night will be cause for concern, as you are obviously past normal hunting hours, and a spotlighting charge might be a consideration.
Between the seats, such as 60/40 seats, if covered by a leg would be considered concealed.  He also stated that during a routine stop, you may be asked to unload the weapon and put it into the trunk, for officer safety, but that is voluntary, and you DO NOT HAVE TO DO SO!
He also atated that a new officer may not recognize this policy, and might react differently.
I was pretty floored by this.
Any comments?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#1]
If I remember right, hes nearly right. You can have a weapon concealed in your vehicle as long as its not "easily accessible" IF I remember right. Do not qoute me and for Gods sake DONT start carrying one in your vehicle based on what I've said.
But, I believe anything not around the drivers area is OK. So you could not have it under your seat, but under the passenger's etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Here's the surprise:
EM asked about the .22 rifle he carries under the seat of his truck, if it was considered concealed. Sheriff stated that Kansas definition of concealed is "ON THE PERSON". Any weapon can be carried in the vehicle, under the seat, on the dash, in the glove box, over the visor, as long as it is not in contact with a person. Loaded is ok.
Any comments?

Hey Repete,

Glad to see you posting again. Now that your baby is older, you'll have more time to surf the intraweb.

What the Sheriff said is probably true for his county and most of the state. But, to the best of my knowledge, it is not uniformly true throughout the state.

It is against city ordinances in McPherson to have a loaded weapon in your vehicle. Same for Wichita and the county in which it resides.

The good news about the new CCW bill is that NO local government can pass a law that prohibits that which is permitted in SB418.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:03:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's the surprise:
EM asked about the .22 rifle he carries under the seat of his truck, if it was considered concealed. Sheriff stated that Kansas definition of concealed is "ON THE PERSON". Any weapon can be carried in the vehicle, under the seat, on the dash, in the glove box, over the visor, as long as it is not in contact with a person. Loaded is ok.
Any comments?

Hey Repete,

Glad to see you posting again. Now that your baby is older, you'll have more time to surf the intraweb.

What the Sheriff said is probably true for his county and most of the state. But, to the best of my knowledge, it is not uniformly true throughout the state.

It is against city ordinances in McPherson to have a loaded weapon in your vehicle. Same for Wichita and the county in which it resides.

The good news about the new CCW bill is that NO local government can pass a law that prohibits that which is permitted in SB418.

But, what is considered loaded?  Is a full magazine in the gun but none chambered considered loaded?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:01:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

But, what is considered loaded?  Is a full magazine in the gun but none chambered considered loaded?

By definition it should not be, but we know how it goes with gun laws. And what is technically unloaded may still end up getting your ass in jail and sitting in front of a judge because some halfassed cop thought he knew the laws, or was just out to give you grief.

As said above, its all a moot point now. Get your CCW and tell them to pound sand.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#5]
It does not matter where it is in the vehicle as long as it is not concealed by your person.  You can carry it loaded in the driver's door panel if you like.  Some cities /counties may be stricter but I believe there was a law passed last year that standardized firearms transportation.  I believe it made it so no cities/counties could pass oridances that were stricter than the state laws regarding transportation.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's the surprise:
Any comments?

Hey Repete,

According to him, a round in the chamber is acceptable, but not advised. He described an incident where during the impact of an accident, a 12ga shotgun discharged through the passenger door, and luckily, into a retaining wall, and not into a body.
As far as a definition of loaded, rounds in the firearm is loaded. A loaded magazine is loaded, as far as I'm aware. Those are not his descriptions, they are mine.

Specop_007
I'm not about to tell him to "Pound Sand". He is not the enemy. As far as I'm concerned, as long as I'm living in "His" county, and he views things this way, I'm pleased with his performance.

Thanks Viator, good to hear from ya.
Pete
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top