Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 3:48:15 PM EDT

Anybody know of any places within a couple of hours of Wichita area to go PD hunting?,  Or any farmers who need them eradicated?  I love to go but Elkhart(cimarron grasslands) is like 4 hrs away from where I live.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh please please please......

If so, and if you need a wingman, COUNT ME IN!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:36:53 AM EDT
[#2]
my grandfather's savage 340E .222 is begging for some fur to fly.  i'm happy to drive to make that happen.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
my grandfather's savage 340E .222 is begging for some fur to fly.  i'm happy to drive to make that happen.  

You can go out to my place if you want. Around the Ogallala area.
Just dont kill'm all. I wanna pop some when I go back home this summer.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm probably gonna hit the Cimarron grasslands in two weeks, probably on sunday after next.

BTW, where is Ogallala at???
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm probably gonna hit the Cimarron grasslands in two weeks, probably on sunday after next.

BTW, where is Ogallala at???

About 50 miles west of North Platte, which is about 97 miles west of Kearney, which is about 40 miles west of Grand Island.

Wheres Cimarron grasslands?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]

The cimarron grasslands are near liberal, right by elkhart, and are in the very south west corner of the state, I mean all the way in the corner, they cross over into colorado even.  There is 108,000 acres of federal land, with many huge PD towns on it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#7]

We are talking Kansas here right???
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Legal to shoot PD's there?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Absolutely, the ranger station even has a map of where the best places to find and shoot them are.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#10]
it sounds like its of the 54hwy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#11]

it sounds like its of the 54hwy

Yeah, I think it's about 15 miles north, We've decided to go this sunday, planning on getting there around 10 am.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I found the fed website that outlines PD hunting on he grasslands:

www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/cim/prairie_dog.shtml

It claims there is about 5600 acres of prairie dogs, but I would say that number is much higher.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
my grandfather's savage 340E .222 is begging for some fur to fly.  i'm happy to drive to make that happen.  hr

You can go out to my place if you want. Around the Ogallala area.
Just dont kill'm all. I wanna pop some when I go back home this summer. hr

My father knows a farmer from back in highschool that lets us go out onto his land to PD hunt in Ogallala. Not anything huge just a few acres of towns. Did it last summer with a few friends and it was blast, hope to travel back out there this summer.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#14]

I'm going to Elkhart this Sunday, will be there at approx 9am til dark, hope to get some coyote callin in too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#15]
How was it?  Thinking about heading down there next weekend.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Tell me more about the Grasslands.  Are there plenty of PD's?  Considering a trip, but I live in the KC Area and want to make sure there are some there if I am to travel that distance.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Well, I went sunday, took about four hours to get there, and we got skunked.  The winds were gusting to 60mph and it hasn't rained there in about 3 months from what I've heard.  Basically it was the dustbowl.  Visibility was low and the PD's weren't having any of it.  We saw quite a few but they would only pop out briefly.  The wind was horrible to say the least, the trip was basically worthless.  We drove around for about 3 hours, stopped to eat, and came home.  The towns looked promising but the wind just made it unbearable even for the PD's.

You may have heard of the fire in Meade county that burned a lot of acreage, we went by that on the way home.  corn stalks were blowing across the road and the wind didn't let up at all.  The sky was so dark it looked like it was going to storm, but it was all the dust hanging in the air. his
I have been before when the winds were about 10-15mph and it was awesome.  My barrel stayed warm all day.  But the winds we experienced were sustained 40-60mph, no joke.  Learn from my mistake if you plan to go, check the weather on the net and I suggest you call down there the day before you go and talk to somebody.

Don't let this turn you off to the grasslands.  If the conditions are right it is a great experience.  You can take shots from all ranges and never have a hard time finding em'.  I took the camera with me but didn't get a chance to use it.  When I go again, soon hopefully, I will post my experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top