Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 5:45:40 PM EDT
Well....after SEVEN....yes seven months I finally got to go shooting!!!! I met up with Coopmandu in Osawatomie at a gunsmith's range and got to shoot up two steel plate racks I made with 3/4" plates!!!!

Oh the joy of the >DING<!!!! These new racks are by far the most durable, even though an AR punched through the 3/4" bar that protects the hangers (we must have hit that same spot three times EXACTLY!).However I will have to remember to bring bright, or white, paint to spray the targets with. HAHAHAHHAH. We were shooting into a berm and the rusted steel just blended right in with the surroundings!!!HAHHAHA!!! The sun being directly overhead and in front of us might have had a factor as well!!!!HAHAHHAH!!!!

Coopmandu brought an AR (very tricked out I might add), a FAL, a really nice Garand, and an AK.

I brought my AR, AK (which I didn't shoot), PM-11, HK51, and FAL.  We spent a bunch of time just hammering the steel as well as zero'ing our AR's , which had both started shooting high for some reason?

The 51 seems to only function well when held like a pistol. It had a lot of weird ejection problems. But once you strong armed it, it was fine. I think its the 'limp wrist' effect. I am just wondering how to alleviate it. Stronger spring?                 Anyway....

We had two people show up and ogle our guns, one of which actually shot some of them!!! But all in all it was just us hammering away!!!!!

All in all, I am really happy to find a shooter to sling lead with finally....Kansas is a wasteland. With its absence ( TOTAL ABSSENCE) of public conservation ranges, to its tiny shooting population; I had a kickass time shooting and talking guns with ole Coopmandu .

METALMAN OUT!!!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#1]
i feel your pain, and thus satisfaction (or will soon, i hope).

i recently moved, and haven't had a chance to go to the range since mid october.  argh!

after all that work, getting to the point i was actually somewhat good, i hope i haven't lost it!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Had a great time too man!  That HK is friggin' awesome dude!!!!!!!  Kansas (this area anyway) sucks if your anything more than a deer hunter when it comes to shooting.

Metalman, those targets were real nice.  I did by the way, take my HiVis orange spray paint and put it in the trunk of my car.  We won't have that visibility problem next time
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I know there are a ton of shooters in the area like us....we just gotta find a way to get em out there with us!!!!

Oh..and Coopmandu....even though we couldnt see those targets, we really hit em quite a bit more than not!!!LOL!!!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Where was the range you shot at?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Its in the backyard of a gunsmith in Osawatomie. Thats really all I know. Coopmandu knows the guy. But I dont even know the name of his business!! I am not sure if its a 'shoot if you want' range or not. I have a feeling you might want to buy something from him first, but I could be wrong. Last thing I want to do at this point is kill my ONLY shooting place by flooding it with people who just wanna shoot. This is this guy's house and land remember. Coopmandu can give you the details, or the bitter truth. I'm a newb.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Its in the backyard of a gunsmith in Osawatomie. Thats really all I know. Coopmandu knows the guy. But I dont even know the name of his business!! I am not sure if its a 'shoot if you want' range or not. I have a feeling you might want to buy something from him first, but I could be wrong. Last thing I want to do at this point is kill my ONLY shooting place by flooding it with people who just wanna shoot. This is this guy's house and land remember. Coopmandu can give you the details, or the bitter truth. I'm a newb.

The place we had the shoot at is just called "Firearms". Its located just south of Osawatomie on old K-7.   Joe, the owner also has an engraving business which is called National Engraving.  I've known Joe and bought from him since I was in high school, about fifteen years to be exact.  He's also a first rate gunsmith and machinist.  I don't think he has a problem with people coming out to shoot as long as your safe and you clean up your mess.  Its also his personal property so I'd advise anyone wanting to come out to make sure you call in advance and make sure he's open.  You can find his number in the phone book or you can IM me and i'll give it to you.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I know there are a ton of shooters in the area like us....we just gotta find a way to get em out there with us!!!!

Yeah, if there's more people in the area lets hook up some Saturday.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Oh..and Coopmandu....even though we couldnt see those targets, we really hit em quite a bit more than not!!!LOL!!!!

YES we did!  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm in Wichita so that is a long way to go.  If there are ever any range trips a little closer to Wichita, I'm in.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Might have to keep this in mind...  Don't currently have a valid license, but when I get it back in August, I will be willing to drive to shoot!  I'm in Lawrence BTW.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#11]
osawatome? where are you guys located at? i'm in overland park. i would be in on some shooting when you guys go again and dont mind somebody tagging along, let me know. i usually just go to the river in linwood.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
osawatome? where are you guys located at? i'm in overland park. i would be in on some shooting when you guys go again and dont mind somebody tagging along, let me know. i usually just go to the river in linwood.

Its about 40 minutes south of you.  Straight shot down 169 south.  Let me know if you want to come down.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#13]
oh sorry, i know where osawatimie is. was just surprized to see that some people were so close to me from this forum, i would absolutly be interested in getting together for some shooting. are you guys from that area? used to work with a guy that lived there about ten years ago, have ridden my bike all over the place down there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm in Wichita also.  I normally shoot at a private benchrest range in the backyard of a friend of my fathers, 200 yards with an enclosed (3 sided) shooting station.  On my PC at work i have the link to a public shooting range in McPherson (I think thats it) and I will post the link here on Monday.

Other than that...if your in Wichita you could always pony up the cash and join the Air Capital Gun Club, they have a decent range for pistol and rifle north of Newton.  My dad and I were members back when I was in H.S. but that was almost 20 years ago.  Isnt there a city/state/county owned shooting range in Cheney out by Lake Afton or was that taken over for law enforcement only?

:::::Edit::::::

Ok, I hit google and pulled up the NRA registry and found all the registered ranges in Kansas.  Several poped up near the Wichita Area.

www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp?State=KS

Wichita - Bullseye Indoor Shooting Range, 1455 North Terrace, Wichita, KS 67208.
Phone: 316-686-7264
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (25 yds), Indoor Rifle (100 yds), Rifle Silhouette
Range Access: Public

Reno - Cheney Lake Shooting Range, North end of Cheney Reservoir, Reno, KS 67570.
Phone: 620-459-6922
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (25 yds), Outdoor Rifle (100 yds)
Hours of Operation: sch. to reopen 4/04  (I'll have to check to see if this range is open....its 06 so who knows)

This is the one I was looking for............

McPherson - The Outback, 368 Navajo Road, McPherson, KS 67460.
Phone: 620-489-9407
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (25 yds), Outdoor Rifle (100 yds), Rifle Silhouette, Pistol Silhouette
Hours of Operation: 12-dark, 7 days
Web Site: www.theoutbackpark.com

McPherson - Don Brown Memorial Range, 7 miles north of Canton, McPherson, KS 67428.
Phone:

And for your High Power / National Match type range needs.....

Hutchinson - Central Kansas Gun Club, 7700 North Lorraine St, Hutchinson, KS 67504.
Phone: 620-664-6456
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (50 yds), Outdoor Rifle (100, 200, 300, 600yd), Trap, Skeet
Range Access: Private
Web Site: www.ckgc.org
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Metalman,
How about some Missouri refugees?

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Metalman,
How about some Missouri refugees?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/SHi_Huang_Di/5ap-almost.jpg

Nice, VERY Nice
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Coop,
I really hope we can do the same to my new plates!!! The one Shi_Huang_di posted is from when I lived in Columbia. We shot up about 8-10 plates that you couldnt see a square inch of flat steel on!!!!! After a while they got cold forged enough that they were just breaking apart!!!! Thats probably why the AP rounds did'nt make it through the plate you see above!!!

Oh...heres a pic of the squib from that indian ammo I was tellin you about

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:29:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Coop,
I really hope we can do the same to my new plates!!! The one Shi_Huang_di posted is from when I lived in Columbia. We shot up about 8-10 plates that you couldnt see a square inch of flat steel on!!!!! After a while they got cold forged enough that they were just breaking apart!!!! Thats probably why the AP rounds did'nt make it through the plate you see above!!!

I'm definately up to the task  I didn't notice those AP rounds till you mentioned it!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:34:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Oh...heres a pic of the squib from that indian ammo I was tellin you about
img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/MMETALMANN/5Indian-Squib.jpg

You know,  that's some scary shit!  After talking to you about that, I'm gonna go pull all that Indian I have and start inspecting all of it.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Reno - Cheney Lake Shooting Range, North end of Cheney Reservoir, Reno, KS 67570.
Phone: 620-459-6922
Hours of Operation: sch. to reopen 4/04  (I'll have to check to see if this range is open....its 06 so who knows)

I called down there last month, and got their answering machine.  They give you the hours of operation right there, and it doesn't appear to be restricted to LE.  Open Fri-Sun. 8a - 5p.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top