Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 7:28:14 AM EDT
Ill be in Lawrence this Christmas and I need a good place to kill time. I know this is hippie college town universal. Also, any ranges, with rental guns?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Lawrence doesn't really have any gun shops other than pawn stores. If you are down for about a 30 min drive there are some good shops in the kc area.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess everywhere aint like Texas.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I guess everywhere aint like Texas.

That and KS is one of the most anti gun states in the US.  Lawrence is probably the most liberal city in KS though as well.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#4]
i know it's too late but i bought my rifle in Lawrence from Raymos Enterprise.

good dealer and he stocks a myriad or arms.  

lot of things to look at too.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Raymos has a shop in Lawrence?  There is a Raymos Enterprise in Leavenworth that I would only go to in dire emergencies...  Did not get the impression that he was business savy enough to own two businesses in two different cities...  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:20:56 AM EDT
[#6]
uhh...KS anti gun? i moved from KS to IL and wish i could move back there to enjoy gun freedom ... or have the laws changed recently?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:54:19 AM EDT
[#7]
nope sorry i get my L-towns confused sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
uhh...KS anti gun? i moved from KS to IL and wish i could move back there to enjoy gun freedom ... or have the laws changed recently?

Well you moved to one of the very few that might be worse. KS has no CCW and very strict laws regarding how you transport your guns. We do have open carry, but unless you want the police called literally everywhere you go and get charged with bogus crap like disturbing the peace that option is out. No class 3 stuff is legal either.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
nope sorry i get my L-towns confused sometimes.

LOL - that is some serious L-town confusion!    Be wary of Raymos Sr, he always gave me a weird kind of vibe.  Never had a problem with his son though...  I only made small purchases in his shop (ammo, speedloaders, etc.).  For major purchases, I would check with the Bullet Hole in Overland Park first.  Every once in a while, they run some good deals on new Glocks.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well you moved to one of the very few that might be worse. KS has no CCW and very strict laws regarding how you transport your guns. We do have open carry, but unless you want the police called literally everywhere you go and get charged with bogus crap like disturbing the peace that option is out. No class 3 stuff is legal either.

What strict laws on transporting? Don't confuse what Witchita or Kansas City may be doing with the state as a whole.

It's true there is no open carry or full auto allowed nor are shotguns with less than 18" barrels. But SBR's are allowed, as is just about anything else. Kansas is not that bad.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What strict laws on transporting? Don't confuse what Witchita or Kansas City may be doing with the state as a whole.

It's true there is no open carry or full auto allowed nor are shotguns with less than 18" barrels. But SBR's are allowed, as is just about anything else. Kansas is not that bad.

In a locked container unloaded witho ammo stored separately. There IS open carry, it's just pretty much impossible to get away with if you are in any decent size city. I guess it depends on what you compare it to. Just the fact that KS is one of four states that still has no CCW makes it anti gun in my eyes.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In a locked container unloaded witho ammo stored separately. There IS open carry, it's just pretty much impossible to get away with if you are in any decent size city. I guess it depends on what you compare it to. Just the fact that KS is one of four states that still has no CCW makes it anti gun in my eyes.

That is not state law. That is a city law. There is a difference. There are rabidly anti-gun cities in Kansas, but that does not make Kansas rabidly anti-gun

State law allows concealed carry on private property, in a vehicle during interstate travel, and in the commisssion of hunting and or fishing.

No arguement that there should be a vermont style concealed carry law.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is not state law. That is a city law. There is a difference. There are rabidly anti-gun cities in Kansas, but that does not make Kansas rabidly anti-gun

State law allows concealed carry on private property, in a vehicle during interstate travel, and in the commisssion of hunting and or fishing.

No arguement that there should be a vermont style concealed carry law.

How old are you son? It just occured to me seeing the following:

21-4204a
Chapter 21.--CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
PART II.--PROHIBITED CONDUCT
Article 42.--CRIMES AGAINST THE PUBLIC SAFETY

21-4204a.   Criminal possession of firearm by a juvenile. (a) Criminal possession of a firearm by a juvenile is knowingly possessing a firearm with a barrel less than 12 inches long by any person less than 18 years of age.
     (b)   Criminal possession of a firearm by a juvenile is a class A nonperson misdemeanor. A second or subsequent violation is a severity level 8, nonperson felony.
     (c)   It shall be a defense to a prosecution of criminal possession of a firearm by a juvenile if such person less than 18 years of age was:
     (1)   In attendance at a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course;
     (2)   engaging in practice in the use of such firearm or target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located;
     (3)   engaging in an organized competition involving the use of such firearm, or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organization exempt from federal income tax pursuant to section 501(c)(3) of the internal revenue code of 1986 which uses firearms as a part of such performance;
     (4)   hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license issued to such person pursuant to article 9 of chapter 32 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated and amendments thereto;
     (5)   traveling with any such firearm in such person's possession being unloaded to or from any activity described in paragraphs (1) through (4), only if such firearm is secured, unloaded and outside the immediate access of such person;
     (6)   on real property under the control of such person's parent, legal guardian or grandparent and who has the permission of such parent, legal guardian or grandparent to possess such firearm; or
     (7)   at such person's residence and who, with the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian, possesses such firearm for the purpose of exercising the rights contained in K.S.A. 21-3211, 21-3212 or 21-3213 and amendments thereto.
     (d)   This section shall be part of and supplemental to the Kansas criminal code.
     History:   L. 1994, ch. 270, § 1; July 1.

There is such state law, but it applies to juveniles, which is why I didn't remember it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#14]
NRAILA's anotation of Kansas firearms laws HERE
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm 22. Thanks for the link. I could have sworn I read it under kansas statutes, but I guess maybe I was reading a city law.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Lord knows there are plenty of laws out there to confuse any man.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No class 3 stuff is legal either.

Not true, KS allows SBR, AOW, DD, no MG, Suppressor or SBS and no CCW

State by State summary
http://www.mp5.net/info/sbsconr.htm

KS Legislation doesn't say what you can do but only what you can't do. NFA items are line 6 & 7

21-4201
Chapter 21.--CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
PART II.--PROHIBITED CONDUCT
Article 42.--CRIMES AGAINST THE PUBLIC SAFETY
21-4201. Criminal use of weapons. (a) Criminal use of weapons is knowingly:

(1) Selling, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing or carrying any bludgeon, sandclub, metal knuckles or throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switch-blade, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or any knife having a blade that opens or falls or is ejected into position by the force of gravity or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(2) carrying concealed on one's person, or possessing with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, blackjack, slungshot, dangerous knife, straight-edged razor, stiletto or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character, except that an ordinary pocket knife with no blade more than four inches in length shall not be construed to be a dangerous knife, or a dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument;

(3) carrying on one's person or in any land, water or air vehicle, with intent to use the same unlawfully, a tear gas or smoke bomb or projector or any object containing a noxious liquid, gas or substance;

(4) carrying any pistol, revolver or other firearm concealed on one's person except when on the person's land or in the person's abode or fixed place of business;

(5) setting a spring gun;

(6) possessing any device or attachment of any kind designed, used or intended for use in suppressing the report of any firearm;

(7) selling, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing or carrying a shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches in length or any other firearm designed to discharge or capable of discharging automatically more than once by a single function of the trigger; or

(8) possessing, manufacturing, causing to be manufactured, selling, offering for sale, lending, purchasing or giving away any cartridge which can be fired by a handgun and which has a plastic-coated bullet that has a core of less than 60% lead by weight.

(b) Subsections (a)(1), (2), (3), (4) and (7) shall not apply to or affect any of the following:

(1) Law enforcement officers, or any person summoned by any such officers to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while actually engaged in assisting such officer;

(2) wardens, superintendents, directors, security personnel and keepers of prisons, penitentiaries, jails and other institutions for the detention of persons accused or convicted of crime, while acting within the scope of their authority;

(3) members of the armed services or reserve forces of the United States or the Kansas national guard while in the performance of their official duty; or

(4) manufacture of, transportation to, or sale of weapons to a person authorized under subsections (b)(1), (2) and (3) to possess such weapons.

(c) Subsection (a)(4) shall not apply to or affect the following:

(1) Watchmen, while actually engaged in the performance of the duties of their employment;

(2) licensed hunters or fishermen, while engaged in hunting or fishing;

(3) private detectives licensed by the state to carry the firearm involved, while actually engaged in the duties of their employment;

(4) detectives or special agents regularly employed by railroad companies or other corporations to perform full-time security or investigative service, while actually engaged in the duties of their employment;

(5) the state fire marshal, the state fire marshal's deputies or any member of a fire department authorized to carry a firearm pursuant to K.S.A. 31-157 and amendments thereto, while engaged in an investigation in which such fire marshal, deputy or member is authorized to carry a firearm pursuant to K.S.A. 31-157 and amendments thereto; or

(6) special deputy sheriffs described in K.S.A. 2004 Supp. 19-827, and amendments thereto, who have satisfactorily completed the basic course of instruction required for permanent appointment as a part-time law enforcement officer under K.S.A. 74-5607a and amendments thereto.

(d) Subsections (a)(1), (6) and (7) shall not apply to any person who sells, purchases, possesses or carries a firearm, device or attachment which has been rendered unserviceable by steel weld in the chamber and marriage weld of the barrel to the receiver and which has been registered in the national firearms registration and transfer record in compliance with 26 U.S.C. 5841 et seq. in the name of such person and, if such person transfers such firearm, device or attachment to another person, has been so registered in the transferee's name by the transferor.

(e) Subsection (a)(8) shall not apply to a governmental laboratory or solid plastic bullets.

(f) Subsection (a)(6) shall not apply to a law enforcement officer who is:

(1) Assigned by the head of such officer's law enforcement agency to a tactical unit which receives specialized, regular training;

(2) designated by the head of such officer's law enforcement agency to possess devices described in subsection (a)(6); and

(3) in possession of commercially manufactured devices which are: (A) Owned by the law enforcement agency; ( in such officer's possession only during specific operations; and (C) approved by the bureau of alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives of the United States department of justice.

(g) Subsections (a)(6), (7) and (8) shall not apply to any person employed by a laboratory which is certified by the United States department of justice, national institute of justice, while actually engaged in the duties of their employment and on the premises of such certified laboratory. Subsections (a)(6), (7) and (8) shall not affect the manufacture of, transportation to or sale of weapons to such certified laboratory.

(h) It shall be a defense that the defendant is within an exemption.

(i) Violation of subsections (a)(1) through (a)(5) is a class A nonperson misdemeanor. Violation of subsection (a)(6), (a)(7) or (a)(8) is a severity level 9, nonperson felony.

(j) As used in this section, "throwing star" means any instrument, without handles, consisting of a metal plate having three or more radiating points with one or more sharp edges and designed in the shape of a polygon, trefoil, cross, star, diamond or other geometric shape, manufactured for use as a weapon for throwing.

History: L. 1969, ch. 180, § 21-4201; L. 1978, ch. 365, § 1; L. 1981, ch. 145, § 1; L. 1982, ch. 135, § 2; L. 1982, ch. 136, § 1; L. 1986, ch. 126, § 1; L. 1992, ch. 298, § 67; L. 1993, ch. 291, § 146; L. 1996, ch. 149, § 4; L. 1999, ch. 164, § 12; L. 2002, ch. 123, § 3; L. 2004, ch. 83, § 1; July 1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top