Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 6:35:34 AM EDT
What can you tell me about the state (Nebraska) in general, and Holdrege in particular?

Looks like I may already have a job offer there.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:47:20 AM EDT
[#1]
It's about 60 miles or so from my hometown. But I never spent much time there. Seems like a pleasant little town. ~5000 - ~7000 population. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter. Expect a week so of above 100° temps in the summer and about a week of -0° in the winter. Most snow stores only bring a couple of inches of snow. A big store dumps 6". But the wind will pile it into tall drifts in places.

I should also add; It has one or two grocery stores and enough other stores to meet your needs. 40 miles away is Kearney. Home of the former Kearney State College until it was absorbed into the University of Nebr. system. If you need something you can't find in Holdrege chances are you can find it in Kearney. Plus there's a Walmart in Kearney when you get the urge to draw down on a door checker.

I can not think of a gunstore in Holdrege though. But Kearney has a small Cabela's store (store #2), Dub's Sporting Goods and Old West Arms. Old West has the better gun selection while Dub's has a great fishing tackle selection. Cabela's is Cabela's.

Cost of living is low in the area. But so are wages. Gas was $1.99 over Thanksgiving weekend.

Nebr. is one of 5 or 6 states that have no provision for concealed carry. All class lll stuff is available though. Nebr. has been gaining momentum for a must issue permit system but seem to miss it by this
---><--- much each year.

Holdrege should be a great town for your kids to grow up in. But not nearly as nice as McCook, of course.

There are far worse places to live in this county.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
www.holdrege.org/

Nice mid-sized Nebraska town, lots of cute blonde girls (Swedish Days is the local annual celebration), same good points and problems as most rural communities.  

Kids still run around town without too many worries, and noone freaks out about rifles in the back window of a pickup.  

Small enough town that your neighbors probably know more about you than your relatives do.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I'm going to go interview, so we'll see. A good friend (who shares many of the same interests) says it's a nice place.

Thing is, I'm hoping to move someplace where I can set some roots down. This ain't it, so a lot will have to do with the position and the facility.

Will advise! Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:42:45 AM EDT
[#5]
What about Kearney?

Sounds a lot more civilized.....
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you want civilization then NE is not for you.

Except for Omaha and Lincoln which we should give to Iowa anyway.

That's pretty harsh David.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:55:37 AM EDT
[#8]
My girlfriend works in Holdrege, it's good little town. If you like to hunt, there's alot to do around there. They have a small little trap club on the west edge of town and have a gun show at least once a year, they had one two weeks ago and it was good sized (at least by rural Ne standards). If you're moving up from TX, the extremes in weather will take a while to adjust to.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What about Kearney?

Kearney is IMO the best of the "tri-cities" (Kearney, Hastings, G.I.).
It's a college town.  It's cleaner, nicer, and growing rapidly.

If you're a hunter, deer and waterfoul hunting are BIG as you're near the Platte River.

Also, Holdrege has the famous "Tower Lounge" if you like semi-skanky naked ladies.  

If country livin is your thing, a older farmhouse with an small acreage shouldn't be too hard to find.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What about Kearney?

Kearney is IMO the best of the "tri-cities" (Kearney, Hastings, G.I.).
It's a college town.  It's cleaner, nicer, and growing rapidly.

If you're a hunter, deer and waterfoul hunting are BIG as you're near the Platte River.

Also, Holdrege has the famous "Tower Lounge" if you like semi-skanky naked ladies.  

If country livin is your thing, a older farmhouse with an small acreage shouldn't be too hard to find.

SEMI-skanky?  That would be a compliment for some of the "ladies" I used to see in there!

Dittos on Kearney though, although in their haste to grow, they're losing some of the "smaller city" charm.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SEMI-skanky? That would be a compliment for some of the "ladies" I used to see in there!

I've driven by that place many, many times in the past 25 yrs or so. And everytime I look at it and think "That really looks like a place I don't want to go."

I'm happy to now know it lives down to my expectations.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you want civilization then NE is not for you.

Except for Omaha and Lincoln which we should give to Iowa anyway.

That's pretty harsh David.  

I thought that Lincoln had a lot of civilization
(My sister went to UNL)

GO HUSKERS!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, it looks like I'll be out there after the new year to interview.

Will advise what happens!

As for skanky women, are there any others? (Sorry, a bit jaded after this last backstab. Has affected me more than my damned divorce! )
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top