Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 11:44:55 AM EDT
Osawatomie as a matter of fact!!! Heres the map:

It has a back stop set up and 100 yards max.Only one bench, but it is a wide firing line(50 yards) It was mowed and looked really clean! I just walked out and looked it over. It had a cable blocking vehicles from entering it, but I don't know if it was a 'closed' gate. I just stepped over it to see the range. I'll have to do a little research to find out if it has hours of operation. But there is a gate at the entrance, so I imagine it is open and closed at times.

The map I drew is incomplete, I dont know where 327th gets to going east, and I have no idea how far west it goes either.

Has anyone shot there?  Any help would be appreciated!!! I'm gonna take the girl shooting the 22, to stake it out and see what the deal is, but this might be a start to some cool shoots! I'm gonna start makin more steel reactives to pound on, so we better start thinking about getting a group together to go sling some lead!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Parma Woods sound bout the same. Nice clean setup, no gestappo range master and the best part it only 3.00$ an hour. Open to public, no memberships or other fees. The dont hassle one eithers on multiple succession(not 2-3/sec) but 1/sec ok till you empty a mag.

Missouri State of: Parma Woods Training Center
(816) 891-9941
Kansas City, MO 64152

Just outside Parkville, open 7 days.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it on state land? If there's no much crap lying around it sounds like its probably one of those small hunter ed. ranges open on random weird days once or twice a month.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I did some callin around...and sure enough...its the Osawatomie PD's private range. I was toying with the idea of approaching the Kansas PD and introducing myself, hoping possibly to get some connection to the range. But I highly doubt that they would be receptive to a long haired gunsmith. I'de even offer up my COF building/designing skills to them if I thought it would help. The range butts up right against the golf course, so I doubt that they could even run simple COF's. Sigh...

I talked with the Kansas Parks guy and he said theres just not enough people in Kansas and that there is no money for building ranges. Missouri...on the other hand...has piles of cash and invests it wisely in its conservation programs due to such a high population.

Sigh....

Oh well....

Looks like I'de better buy some land then.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:03:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Metalman,
    Have you considered a membership at Millcreek?  It's close to where you are in Gardner, KS and after the initial buy in, the yearly fees are manageable...  The range has several pistol and rifle ranges - a 25 yard, a rimfire only range, a 50 yard, a 200 yard, a 300 yard, and a LE range (75 yards +/-).  If you don't want to spring for the membership, then the Mill Creek Practical Shooting League is open to the public for IPSC/IDPA style shooting every second saturday of the month.  They hold pistol comps in the morning, rifle/shotgun in the afternoon.  For about 30 bucks you can get a good look at all the ranges to see if it would be worth it...  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:02:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Mill Creek is a great and safe range, but nothing like CMMG.  I know CMMG is far off, but there was a reason I was driving two and ahalf hours to the MODCC meets.  Otherwise I shoot at my home range at Tri-COunty.  It is a private range over in Leavenworth Co. near the WyCo line and may be sold out of memberships (last I heard).

Good Luck finding "free style" shooting areas around KC.  I have given up trying.    You might try dropping on in with Duke over his way as that is about as close as we're likely to get.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:42:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Metalman,
    Have you considered a membership at Millcreek?  It's close to where you are in Gardner, KS and after the initial buy in, the yearly fees are manageable...  The range has several pistol and rifle ranges - a 25 yard, a rimfire only range, a 50 yard, a 200 yard, a 300 yard, and a LE range (75 yards +/-).  If you don't want to spring for the membership, then the Mill Creek Practical Shooting League is open to the public for IPSC/IDPA style shooting every second saturday of the month.  They hold pistol comps in the morning, rifle/shotgun in the afternoon.  For about 30 bucks you can get a good look at all the ranges to see if it would be worth it...  

MillCreek is close to Gardner??
Wheres it at!
I live in gardner, so a good close by range would be a Godsend.
Or a curse maybe, as my ammo costs would go through the roof.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually it is in Desoto, but that is "close" to gardner.  It is on 83rd as you go from Lenexa to Desoto.  They have a web site, but I don't know the address.  As I recal (info is several years out of date)  the range is one of those slow-fire ones except during IPSC/USPSA or action matches.  I've only shot USPSA matches there, but knew a member.  Give them a try.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Actually it is in Desoto, but that is "close" to gardner.  It is on 83rd as you go from Lenexa to Desoto.  They have a web site, but I don't know the address.  As I recal (info is several years out of date)  the range is one of those slow-fire ones except during IPSC/USPSA or action matches.  I've only shot USPSA matches there, but knew a member.  Give them a try.

Mill Creek is definitely home to many precision/bench rest shooters who also occupy the steering committee positions and the slow fire rule may be true on the 200, 300 and rimfire ranges.  However, I don't think that is the case with the pistol ranges though - or at least there are several members breaking that rule.  Every time I went it was with the same long time members that run the IPSC/USPSA matches and we trained on the Law Enforcement range, but I am not aware of the specific ROE for using that particular range.  We did not go out of our way to abide by any slow fire for our carbine/pistol drills.

Another option for you Gardner/Desoto guys might be Pigeon Hill (Mo state range) up in St. Jo.  It's a relatively quick drive north, and if you go during low density times, you can pretty much do anything within reason (a self-policed range).  I was able to setup multiple targets and work movement drills, transitions, etc.  and all it took was minimal cooperation with the other shooters.  When you took the time to explain the what and why they were always supportive.  Every time I went, folks were respectful and cooperative, but I have heard a few horror stories about some crazy Cooters that shoot there from time to time - just never saw it in over 20 trips there...

Parma is a great facility and the folks there are very nice, but depending on the conditions, it can be fairly restrictive.  That range sees a lot of city traffic and the wide range of skills that is there at any given day will make your skin crawl.  It was there that I often had to loan out my spare hearing and eye protection for the clueless folks with cigarette filters in their ears or that had brought their kids/spouse to the line without any consideration of their comfort and safety...  Shooting there, it helps if you go regularly and they get to know you.  Several times they allowed me to do some holster work and 2+1 drills, but they absolutely will not let you use humanoid targets during public range hours.  I just used paper plates on brown cardboard (IPSC targets with the head cutoff) whenever I went.  Several times at Parma (low density times/bad weather) I was the only one there and they pretty much let me shoot unsupervised.  Again, I had a good rapport with the worker bees and had proven that I was a safe, considerate shooter, not some jackass...    
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:54:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Mill Creek Website

Gonna have to check this place out.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Specop,
   Just keep in mind that MCPSL is a tenant organization of the Mill Creek Range (one of many), but it does not run the range per se.  For that you have to apply/pay for membership, attend an orientation, be issued a key for the gate locks, etc.  I don't know if the Range has its own website, but the good folks in MCPSL can point you in the right direction...    
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Specop,
   Just keep in mind that MCPSL is a tenant organization of the Mill Creek Range (one of many), but it does not run the range per se.  For that you have to apply/pay for membership, attend an orientation, be issued a key for the gate locks, etc.  I don't know if the Range has its own website, but the good folks in MCPSL can point you in the right direction...    

That would explain why Google Maps showed more then 1 Mill Creek Range in De Soto I suppose. I was confused about that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top